- advertisement -

geocaching

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by fredntan2, Feb 17, 2011.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I just stumbled onto this. does anyone do this?

found app for my smart phone to help me geocach.

2. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I do. I got a gps for Christmas - and we had a week of no snow. So I think we found 3. Now we have snow so we haven't done it for the rest of the winter but I can't wait for spring. The kids enjoy it. They love being "stealth" although they aren't the best at it. Go for it, it's a great family activity, great actiivty, gets you outside, and discovering new places.

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I got one for Christmas, too. I am excited. We have found a few in our neighborhood. They have been micro caches so they weren't too fun for the kids. They want to find "treasure". =) I can't wait until it warms up a bit more, or I should say, until it's less muddy, LOL.

4. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

We have the geocacher gadget from Target. It's really pretty cool. There were a ton by our house and we easily found 5 or 6 in an afternoon. It's been put away all winter and for us here in MI. it's nice when there are less bugs :)

5. t1mom

t1mom Approved members

Done them off and on for a few years. It is a good way to explore different places and also to learn more about your own neighborhood also.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I have no idea what it is:confused::confused:

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

anyone want to let me in on it?

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We used to geocache and had lots of fun. Sometimes we would make a day of it and go with another family. Sometimes we would just look one up before we ran an errand somewhere new. My kids are all teens now, so they've outgrown being excited over a trip in the car though.

9. fredntan2

Using gps finding hidden treasure. My dh thinks its dangerous.he thinks there will be crazy people waiting to abduct me

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

We did it on and off for around 5 years and we love it every time we do it.

The web site is awesome.

http://www.geocaching.com/

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just twice, when Maddie was younger. We enjoyed it. No abduction threats to report ;)

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We do letterboxing (you don't need the gps), which is similar.. girls love it.. gets us all out, its relatively free, good exercise and we spend family time together. :)

13. fredntan2

What up is letterboxing

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Letterboxing is very similar. You go to letterboxing.org or atlasquest put in your zip, and it'll give you boxes near by. They'll tell you what you need, how long the trail/hike is. Print off the directions and go. You bring your log book and signature stamp. Follow the directions to find the letterbox. Once you find it, you open it, stamp your signature stamp in the log book, write the date, your user/trail name and where you are from. Then take their stamp and log it into your book... we use a three ring binder so we can add more pages. Its like a treasure hunt. Keeps the kids busy. :)