- advertisement -

Genetic tests/new diagnosis

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by lilituc, Oct 3, 2010.

1. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

I posted about this before, but I had celiac labwork done about a year and half ago, and then went on a gluten-free diet on the advice of my doctor. There was an immediate improvement, and it seems pretty clear that I'm intolerant to gluten. Then, the labwork came back "negative" but confusing. Some of the numbers were odd and no one seemed to know what they meant, but agreed I must not have celiac. At the time, I thought due to things I had observed, that it was possible the lab had mishandled the samples.

My doctor didn't think I should go back on gluten just to get retested since I was doing so well on the gluten-free diet. Then, last week I had the genetic testing done and it came back DQ2.5/DQ8.

Long story short, it looks like I do have celiac after all.

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi,

At least you now have some resolution to this and you can keep moving forward.

3. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

Yes, in a way it is a relief, although it's not like celiac is good news.

I'll guess next I'll have to get tested again to see if my diet is working. (Don't worry, I've never been back to that first lab).

I admit I laughed when I found out that DQ2.5/DQ8 is not only "permissive of" celiac, but also associated with adult onset Type 1, and other autoimmune diseases. You just have to laugh sometimes, right? I guess because I was already aware of these things, and I already have Type 1.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010