- advertisement -

Gatorade Prime and Power Bar Energy gel blasts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Are the new Gatorade Prime (4 oz. 25 carbs) and the Power Bar Energy Gel blasts (2 is 10 carbs) good for diabetics in sports? Do they boost you quickly?

The first few ingredients in the Gatorade Prime is isomaltulose, sucrose, dextrose.

2. angiej

angiej Approved members

Alice always has 10g fast carb before swimming, for a couple of weeks she used some Gel Blasts instead of her normal glucose . They did the job fine, but I'm not sure I noticed any difference from the 'normal' glucose response. She however loved the change from her normal tabs ...

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have wondered the same thing so just googled the first ingrediant- pasted here.

Overall looks like it may not be good to treat lows, but more of a slow release.

Isomaltulose is fully absorbed in the small intestine as glucose and fructose.

It is low-glycaemic and low-insulinemic. The effect of isomaltulose is that the glucose enters the blood at a slow rate, avoiding high peaks and sudden drops in glucose levels and therefore insulin levels as well. This leads to a more balanced and prolonged energy supply in the form of glucose.[2]

Being low-insulinemic, isomaltulose also supports improved fat oxidation during physical activity as high insulin levels hinder the use of lipids as an energy source. As such, isomaltulose can increase the amount of fat used as energy, thus enhancing performance endurance.[3]