- advertisement -

gaining confidence and pumping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwimum, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hi all

We have just had Tyler's 3 monthly endo appt. His A1c was 7.2, for the second time in a row - something we never saw on NPH. Not bad for 4 months of pumping, I think!

The endo was really pleased.

But I feel like Tyler has just been dx again. I don't have the confidence to make changes with out second guessing all the time. The endo has given me a kick up the ar*e and told me I am quite capable to do changes and if they don't work then we keep on tweeking. (It was a nice kick - he is rather cute!) He told us that we are the experts at caring for Tyler and the endos are there for our backup. I did come away feeling that I can do it and I will do it.

Is this normal when being new at pumping to feel out of depth?

2. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

We are about 5 months into pumping and there are times when I feel like I can kick D's butt ! Then Reece will hit the 300's and I'm in panic mode and nothing I do helps, or makes since and I'm back to those feelings you are having. I think, or I hope!, this is normal. It is so overwhelming starting the pump, or anything "new" with you child's D. Hang in there, and just know that we are hanging with ya!!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Dont know nothing about pumping Debs just wanted to say AWESOME job:D and your endos right, you are the expert and you will learn slowly but surely just like you did after diagnosis

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

It was/is normal for me. Basal rates intimidate me sometimes--there are just endless possibilities for changes!

5. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Samantha has been pumping now for a little over a year and we still have our days ok weeks where I wonder what happened, her A1C before last was 8.8:eek: the last one we were back down to 7.7..and after a year Im just now making my own changes in the pump..got to pat myself on the back for that one...lol

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Just wanted to say also congratulations sounds like you're doing well with the pump, and I like your endo - cute and kind and all. :)