- advertisement -

G4 Transmitter Failed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Last weekend in the middle of the night, the Dexcom G4 transmitter failed. Either it doesn't send out an audible signal, it was on vibrate (I didn't think to check it at the time but I usually have it on hypo repeat at night), or I slept through it. It was first used mid-January, so by using this forum, I learned that it was at the end of it's usable life and ordered a new one, which has arrived. In the mean time, I restarted the old one and it is in operation right now.

I have some questions and was wondering if anyone could have time to share and teach me these things:

1. Does the receiver give an audible alarm when the transmitter itself fails? In other words, did I just somehow miss it or does it just quit and only give a visual error?

2. Under "Device Info", it says the battery is OK. Would you continue to use the old one or go ahead and switch to the new? We have decent insurance, and should not have difficulty getting two a year, but it does cost $140 per replacement. I want to make sure to "use up" the old transmitter but without the danger of it just quitting with no alarm. I am considering just going ahead and switching it tomorrow when the sensor is at one week because my son wants a sleepover at a friend's house and I want it to be reliable. Still, I would like to ask this for future reference.

3. Would you see any bad readings with a failing transmitter before it altogether failed? I know sensors can start giving ??? and off readings, but not sure about transmitter.

Thank you.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I never got a warning for our first transmitter. At 11 months I just went ahead and replaced it. I got a new one with my new receiver in June but I'm still on the transmitter I started in November. For the same reason - they aren't free so I thought I'd stretch the life out of the one I have.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Ours gave an audible and visual alarm when it was dying, and then again 24 hours later when it died.

But, your post made me realize that perhaps the reason I've slept through the CGM over the weekend wasn't me but the receiver no longer alarming, so it's being tested at the moment.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm wondering if ours is going bad (9 months old). I swear ours periodically does not alarm. But every time I try to check it, it does alarm, so maybe I have the same selective hearing as my daughter. It's also been going out of range more than it should (within 20 ft). It comes back within 20 minutes, but last night it did it three or four times. When I peeked in on her the two times I noticed it, she wasn't sleeping on the transmitter at all. I was going to replace it last week but forgot. Next week I'm replacing it for sure.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Our receiver failed even the Try It! so a new one will be here tomorrow or the next day.:)

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I bet it is the receivers audio that has gone out. we have one that lost all audio.

When the transmitter starts to go you either get a ton of out of ranges or the visual messages to replace soon then replace now and it pictures the transmitter.

7. Junosmom

Wouldn't you know that after a week of numbers not corresponding well, it's doing great right now. And the sensor needs to be restarted (it's only been on a week). If we weren't doing the sleepover, I think I'd continue with this transmitter, but I really want to make sure it won't have a good chance of failure. I know nothing is fail-safe, but I can improve the odds. I think our sounds are working in general, but still not sure about whether or not it alarms when the transmitter fails. I'll go look at our manual. I'll repost if I find anything.

8. Junosmom

I called Dexcom and learned some new and interesting things:
    1. They want you to call if you have an event like this. When it says "Transmitter Failed" (rather than battery), they consider this a serious thing, must report to FDA and is different from battery failing.
    2. Warranty is 6 mos, but they want this reported in or out of warranty.
    3. I reported that it did not give a loud audible alert that failure occurred and that I thought it ought to alert loudly just as it does when out of range. She said any suggestions are recorded and sent to development department.
    4. She said I definitely should replace as soon as possible as something was wrong with the transmitter that it gave this error message.

I didn't tell her that his sensor only had 7 days on it and this meant I'd lose at least half a week on that sensor (I normally get about 1.5 to 2 weeks out of his sensors) since that's "off-label" use.