- advertisement -

G4 case suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cdninct, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'm just wondering if people have come up with any new alternatives to the awful case that Dexcom provides with the G4 CGM. I would like my son to be able to carry it with him to school, but I fear for its safety! I would like something as tough as possible, ideally decently resistant to damage from falls and exposure to water, and something that clips firmly in place in some way. So far I've heard about:

• the Tallygear neoprene protective case
    • the regular Tallygear case
    • the Pumptastic add-on case
    • the hard cases available through Shapeways
    • SPIbelts (K already uses one for his pump, but he is too small for the two-pocket belt)
    • doctoring a first generation iPod Nano case
    • doctoring an Insignia Pilot case
    • making do with a Vera Bradley zip ID case

Of all the options, I think I'm most likely to go with the Tallygear neoprene case, but I welcome opinions and other ideas!

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I was looking at a small camera case (like for the small hand held cameras) yesterday at Target. It had a clip on it and while it had no clear front it would work well. You could even fit in a small meter, poker and strips.

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DD has the regular Tallygear case for the G4. It has a belt loop on the back and she slides it onto the Spibelt that she uses for the pump.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We have the first generation Tally-gear case and have been very happy with it. Very durable and offers some protection against bangs and drops.

6. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have the first generation Tallygear case too and have been very happy with it. Other than the fact that it is not waterproof, it provides great protection. I love the clear front, it is protective but I am also able to see what my son's trend is whenever I want, and I love the caribeaner clip - it is great to clip to my purse or his pants loop or whatever I want to keep it close. I think it is the most functional of the cases I have seen.

7. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

DSCN0522.jpg DSCN0521.jpg

We had an old cell phone case laying around that works well for us. The picture of the back of the case is shown with the clip and a lanyard attached. The clip is detachable. You can also charge without removing from the case. One drawback is that the corners aren't protected.

We tried a couple different cases, and this is the setup that my daughter preferred.

The case has a little T on the side, so it must have been a Tmobile phone.

ETA: Found it! It was a Nokia 6030 phone. I just bought a backup case on ebay for $5.99.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

The regular tallygear case is really nice because you can slide it onto the belt of the spibelt with the loop it has. I do that for running with my pump and tabs in the spibelt and the dex slid onto the spibelt as well. It stays in place very well.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thanks!

So far, it looks like Tallygear is the way to go. I like the camera case idea, but I would prefer that the covering stay on at all times, so the clear front is necessary.

Has anyone tried both the Tallygear spandex/lycra case and the Tallygear neoprene case? The spandex/lycra case definitely seems to be better looking, but the neoprene case seems to offer more protection.

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I haven't tried both but the spandex case has plastic covering the whole front while the neoprene has openings for the speaker and click wheel. I think having the entire front covered offers at least a little more protection from water damage. I find the spandex case offers plenty of protection from falls. I drop the thing constantly and it is still in perfect condition.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our spandex case covered receiver spent the night in the shrubbery last summer, a rainy night, and it was fine ;-)

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Huh. I assumed that all the openings were covered, but looking closely at the photos I see now that they aren't. I wonder why they would make the case out of a water resistant material and then leave big holes in it? Thanks for pointing that out!

13. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Useful info, as I'm quite sure our CGM will go on similar adventures!:p

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Should we ask why?? how??