advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FYI Ping limitations for Honeymooners, or itty bitty litttle ones.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jun 4, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You can only go to an:
    I:C of 1:160
    ISF of 1:600 ( if my kiddo was 350 with a target of 150 that would be .30, which is exactly what I have corrected with and had an am # of 98, but was that my insulin or her own?)))
    Target of 60-250: +/- 50 ( which is totally a flaw, you should not be able to target to a BG of 10!!!!)

Basal of 0.025 (24hr total of .60 units, but you can set a 0.0 basal on the Ping)

I know those numbers are just crazy, But with my dd that we caught super early and may start to bolus corrections and carbs, I found it interesting to see what the highest I could go was. Especially since we have two one the same pump! Although we do have each kiddos gear decked out with either Leopard or Gummy bear duck tape!!!

2. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Thank you! This is very helpful information. Any idea how these limitations compare to other pumps? We just went to endo today and finally got approval for a pump, which we REALLY need for micro-dosing.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Minimed 530G

Insulin: Carb Ratio- 1:200 gm
    Sensitivity: ISF of 400
    Target: 60-250 mg/dl
    Basal: 0.025 units. Can have 0 basal periods.

4. bamaboyd82

Wow! Big differences. Considering my son's nighttime ISF is about 400 right now, that may be a point against the Minimed. Thank you for posting!

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

t:slim
    Basal (range: 0 and .1 - 15 units an hour) - which I think means and average of .033/hour over the course of 24 hours if you alternated .1 and 0 over all 16 allowed segments in a profile. But I'm not 100% sure.
    Correction Factor/ISF (range: 1:1 to 1:600)
    Carb Ratio (range: 1:1 - 1:300)
    Target BG (range: 70-250)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  6. bamaboyd82

The parents on this forum are the most amazing resource I've ever come across! Thank you! Anybody willing to be so kind as to pop in with the Omnipod numbers?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Omni Pod
    minimum basal 0.05 can not set for Zero basal.(24hr 1.2 units)

max basal 30units/hr

Target 70-200

I:C minimum 1:150 Maximum 1:1

ISF minimum 1:400 Maximum 1:1

Duration minimum 2hrs max 6hrs

8. bamaboyd82

Thank you! This is all so informative!

At least at the moment, we would really need to be able to set the basal to zero from about 2-7AM, so I'm bummed to see you can't do that with the OmniPod. Maybe we could get something else initially, and as John Fletcher's needs change, do the Cut the Cord program.

The T:Slim actually sounds like it might fit his current needs best, but I have this vague recollection of someone saying it couldn't be used by small children. Is that right?

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

It's not that it can't be used by small children, it's that it's only FDA approved for kids 12+. Doctors can prescribe it off label though - that's how my (then) 10 year old got one.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I may be wrong, but I believe that the issue with the t:slim is that there is no reverse correction.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

The minimum basal is .1 u/hr for the tslim. Depending on what his basal needs are that might be a major issue. Personally, I would want a remote with a little one which basically just leaves the ping or omnipod.

Cut the cord is a great program though and would also allow you to have a back up pump which can be useful for travel.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Accu Check Combo too.

The Accu Chek basal starts at 0.05 but goes up by 0.01's so actually it has the greatest basal custom ability.

I wish I knew about the other settings, will find out soon enough I guess.

13. cococay

cococay Approved members

Thank you.

My current thinking for our youngest has been the ping. I really would have liked the remote when my son was about 5-7, so I've been thinking I'd probably go with ping for my youngest if he converts while relatively young.

Looking at those settings, it looks like even more reason to go that way.

We may go t-slim for my oldest when his current warranty is up in Dec. but we also have 2 minimed backups and may also go for cut the cord, so We'd have plenty of options for both too should we need it.

I've noticed other reasons I'd shy away from t-slim for a small child. The screen locks seems to be pretty intuitive and I think my 4yo would figure it out pretty quickly. Also might be a little more attractive to play with too.. Add in the setting limits etc.

14. dshull

dshull Approved members

We have both the Ping and the Omnipod - just switched over to Omnipod for the summer. The Ping definitely has more flexibility on basal rates as compared to Omnipod - our son had basal rates of 0.125 on the Ping, and when we switched over, we had to chose between 0.1 and 0.15, no option for 0.125.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

WOW, OK here is the Accu-Chek

minimum basal 0.0 can set for Zero basal. So 0.00 the next is 0.05 but then goes b 0.01's instead of 0.025's (very NICE)

max basal units 25.0/hr

Target 50-300

I:C minimum 0.1:240 Maximum 50:1 (not a typo it really can be set to a ratio based upon a tenth of a unit)

ISF minimum 0.1:999 Maximum 0.1:1

Duration minimum 1.5hrs max 8hrs

Features hat I have not seen on other pumps I have used:

expected meal rise feature (trying to wrap my head around it)

snack size (not sure what exactly this is yet)

Health events bolus advise that increases or decrease the bolus by a percent that you select( for exercise 1 I set it to reduce bolus by 15% and exercise 2 to reduse by 25%, stress +10%, illness +20%, there is also a premenstrual setting that I did not do anything with)

Offset time minimum level is 45 minutes and goes up to 2:30 hours

I have the pump in my hands and am not starting my side by side comparison to the PING! I can see how this pump will give me better customization of basal rates for my youngest daughter, right now on the PING she is up to 0.1 from 0.75 doing good but the next jump would be to 0.125 wich is a 25% increase, it would be nice to be able to do increase in basal by 10% instead of alternating basal patterns to end up there.

16. dpr

dpr Approved members

Great thread, it should be a sticky. My daughter wanted a T Slim but 2 of her I/C ratios wont work. She'll be bummed.

17. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Goes to show how different kids are - even at diagnosis when she was 2, my daughter didn't have an I:C ratio past 1:300!

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

HMM, is you dd honeymooning?

what ratios do not work on the t:slim?

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

But you are on Lantus, and that does not "turn off".

Something to be said about a kiddo that is honeymooning, and lets see is I can say this in an understandable way to others.

Just because a honeymooning kiddo has "normal" numbers on X units of insulin it does not mean that the kiddo will go low with 1.5Xunits of insulin. In the Honeymoon a kiddos counter regulatory process is still very much intact and still has the ability to stop insulin production when getting to normal BG range.

I did not like the t:slim but that was compared to the Animas which we had many years with. with the t:slim it realy depends on how you currently deal with low BG's and you expectation of how a pump will work, the t:slim will not "knock off" insulin for a BG between your target BG and 70.

20. dpr

dpr Approved members

Ah, too many numbers for my under slept brain to process at once... It's the Accu Check that won't work which looks good in so many other ways. She's 32 to 1 at breakfast, 80 to 1 at lunch and 60 to 1 at dinner. So the latter 2 are too high. She's one of those out of the box 75% basal kids.

A T Slim question. I just looked at our brochure and it says basal rate increments at "0.001 units at programed rates _> .01 unit/hour" . I'm not understanding this. it looks too me like you can program rates at an incredibly fine .001, but that seems crazy?