- advertisement -

funny story...and lesson learned

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Boo, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Boo

Boo Approved members

My eighth grader was a bit low after gym class and just before lunch at school the other week. No biggie...he ate lunch (bolused), and went on with his day. At the end of the school day, he was in the mid 300's. We asked if he forgot to bolus for lunch (no, the pump confirmed that he had bolused). He corrected with the pump and came home on the bus. After school he ate a snack (and bolused for it). Before dinner, he checked his blood sugar. This time, he was in the 500's, but hadn't mentioned it until after correcting with the pump (which I scolded him for, thinking he must have a bad site and that we should've used a syringe instead).

It turns out that after gym class, he forgot to reconnect his pump to his site! (He takes it off for gym since the uniform gym shorts don't have pockets) He stuck the pump back in his pocket, along with all of the tubing! I couldn't get too upset with him. It was an honest mistake...and at least he had remembered to bolus! We got a good laugh over it (or as good a laugh as possible knowing your child was in the 500's).

But his pocket sure stunk from all of that insulin he bolused into it! ;) Boy, you really can't assume anything when it comes to teenagers!

2. Noel

Noel Approved members

Oh Beth, that stinks! Well literally too I guess! BUT we have been there and done that!!!

Glad you figured it out before too long!

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Oh wow..that could happen to anyone..at least he was trying to bolus himself and not his shorts..at least his shorts wont go high!! :D:eek:;):eek:

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I forgot to put my kid's pump back on after a bath one night. She actually never got above 350, so we just thought she was running high and corrected over and over.

The piano got a lot of insulin that night. . . .

5. linda

linda Approved members

Aside from the health risk..I thought it was kind of funny..Id pay to se the look on his/your face when he realized it:eek::rolleyes::confused::(:eek::D:p;)

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Serious, yes - funny, yes.

I'm glad that he did figure it out. I'm sure the next "unexplained" high - he will check to see if he connected first.

You seem to have handled it very well.