- advertisement -

Fundraising at school

Discussion in 'Fundraising Activities' started by runaroundsue, May 15, 2014.

1. runaroundsue

runaroundsue Approved members

This idea was presented to the principal in March and it was shot down. Is your child's school more open to the idea or do they want to play it safe and not offend any other student or parent?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What idea? I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are referring to. Could you elaborate?

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

our school does a JDRF fundraiser at our school the month prior to the local walk here, it was started way before we were there.

OUr school does TOOOO many fundraisers, every month there is something going on.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I never thought to ask because our school does not already so some. I think that choosing one child's cause over another could be problematic. If I were a principal I would probably go the "all or nothing" route, too. My sister is a principal of a K-5 school and they've done a St. Baldrick event for a few years. When the school decided they wanted to do something, they were careful to pick a cause that did not directly affect any students in the building. If a child in the future got diagnosed with cancer, I don't think it would be as much of a problem because they had been doing it in the past.

5. runaroundsue

@ Sarah: Fundraising for JDRF. Me and another mother had an idea if the school would hold a fundraiser for the walk this June because there a some children at the school with T1D. But like I said, it was turned down.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

JDRF has a lot of pre printed fundraising materials, but also have the real little shoes to sell and the paper shoes. I you came to them with actual product and had the help of JDRF setting up something then I think they maybe much less reluctant. Ask your JDRF if they can approach your school. Or if there is an event that you can advertise at the school for.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I personally don't think a school is a place for fundraising for causes. As Mammattorney pointed out you'd have a zillion of them as everyone has something that matters to them. Plus as a parent I don't want to feel I've got to donate to this and that and this and that cause constantly. The school fundraisers are bad enough.

8. runaroundsue

We were told that if she'd have to do a fundraiser for one she'd have to do it for all. So I'm hesitant in approaching the subject again. However, they do send home letters to help out with other charities.