- advertisement -

Fundraiser Suggestions

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by rdhead, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

As some of you may have read from a previous post my cute Connor is struggling with his new life and it's responsibilities. We have recently started taking him to a therapist to help him cope a little better. He has begged to be able to get a pump. He's even told me that he's going to ask Santa for a pump for Christmas. Because he was just diagnosed in Oct we are still paying off some large hospital bills and are unable to get him one right now. So we've decided to hold a garage sale/bake sale fundraiser to help try and raise the money we need. We've had several people willing to donate their time, items to sell and have volunteered to help make things for the bake sale. We have emailed everyone we know, have spread the word thru facebook, and have gone through our church to help get the info out there. We've even created him a blog for those who wanted to help but live too far away to participate.

What I want to know is those of you that have done some type of fundraiser for your child what did you do? What was successful? What would you have done different? We are also thinking of holding a car wash when the weather gets warmer maybe April? Have any of you had success with this? Those of you that maybe have a blog for your child(ren) what have you put on it? Do you have a place to donate on your blog?

Here is ours if anyone would be willing to critique it and give us some feed back on what we can change or make better.
    http://connorscommandos.blogspot.com

Thank you for any suggestions you can give us. We really want to do everything that we can to make this a success for Connor. I also figured it couldn't hurt to get ideas from those that have already done something like this. Thanks again!

ETA: I also wanted to be able to add some kind of goal tracker to show our progress in money raised but have been unable to find anything. Most "tickers" are for pregnancies or weightloss. Does anyone have info on where I can find something like this?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

We have not done this for our daughter but live in a very small town .. when someone is in need the town will have a benefit dinner. Any chance your friends could help set something like that up?

Crystal

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I have managed fund raisers for organizations I have worked for.

I would guess you have had little trouble getting people to make donations. Though you can still go to the small business owners in the area. People would like a silent auction that had gift certificates from local restaurants and the restaurants like it because it is advertising for them and they really offer things that are more like coupons. Additionally, with a silent auction there will be a specific time that the results will be announced and the people who have signed up need to stick around- and buy more stuff- while waiting.

What people may have forgotten is that even though they have donated they still have to show up at the actual sale. Be sure to invite them to the sale and ask them to bring friends. Assuming you have tons of donated stuff then it may be worth it to advertise. It would be a shame to have a ton of great stuff and then have too few people to buy it.

Have a sign at the event so people who are not aware of the details know it is a fundraiser for a child/family with needs.

People don't like to make donations or help as much as they could to assist you with medical needs if they suspect that you have a large TV and a great stereo system in your den. Be prepared to sell these things so people know you are serious about raising the funds.

Car washes tend to work well for the cheerleaders, but cheerleaders (glee club, etc.) are often looking for causes to be involved in. So why not ask the kids at the high school to host it on your behalf?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

I silent auction is a wonderful idea. We have had a few large items donated already and are still collecting. I do have a friend that owns a printing business and they have offered to make a banner for us to help spread the word that it is a fundraiser and not just us cleaning out our closets. How do you go about getting donations from small business or restaurants? Do they donate things for you or offer things at discounted prices? Do you just tell them what it's for and go that way or is there a certain chain of command?

The car wash we will be holding will be with the help from the youth of our church and their friends. As far as a location I'm not sure how to go about that either. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the great ideas. I hadn't thought of some of the things you suggested.

5. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

duct taping someone of significance to a wall always seemed to be a big hit! Maybe get the mayor involved and charge for each strip of duct tape WE always had a blast doing this.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

We haven't done fundraisers for personal needs, but we have done some for JDRF. My son in law hosted a texas holdem poker tournament in the back yard that was loads of fun, but you have to know people who can lend you the chips etc. People make a donation to play and part of the donation is set aside to be used for cash prizes for the first through third finishers. Good luck! I like the idea of contacting the high school service clubs to see if they would do a fundraiser. Also if there is a local sports team sometimes they will take on someone to help as their project. We have a little 8 year old friend who has brain cancer and a local baseball team has been so supportive.

7. angiej

angiej Approved members

8. 4monkeez

4monkeez Approved members

My son was recently dx, so we haven't done a fundraiser for Diabetes yet, but before this I was running a small non-profit organization in our state to raise money for families of kids with cancer. If you have an Applebee's in town, they will do a pancake breakfast. You sell tickets and provide wait staff, and they supply thier chefs. We sold tickets for $6 each and got 50% of the profit. We also found that basket raffles were our biggest money maker. we went to local businesses and explained our cause and most either donated a product or gift certificate, we got baskets and even some other new product donantions through freecycle.org. We sold raffle tickets for $1 each or 3for $2 or 10 for $5. One thing that made it more lucrative was that people could put their tickets by the prize they wanted and each was raffled off seperately, but that made it difficult to sell them ahead of time. Encourage people to pay for tickets in advance, but also have them at the door, a lot of people will buy tickets, but not come. Get it on your local news, newspaper, radio . Also a Spaghetti dinner is cheap to run if you can get a local hall donated...do basket raffle there also. Good luck!!!

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

One morning a few of you go door to door at the local businesses and ask the manager or store owner for donations. If they are at a loss then make a suggestion of a certificate of some kind. After the morning see which of you did best and send that person out again on subsequent days until you have collected as much as you think you need.

By the way, I understand you are paying off medical bills. My understanding is that as long as you are making payments they will not send you to collection. But perhaps you are paying too much each month for your budget.

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

are you sure you have exhausted all other possibilities for getting the pump?

Your insurance company? and/or what about some state program for you child? is there on in AZ?

and what about your dr? most docs are getting better, but a lot of them won't prescribe until you are a year in.

BTW you know the pump companies have a payment plan. when we got our first pump, I owed 1800 on it and paid it over something like year and half.

have you talked to pump companies? they will negotiate lower price if you don't have insurance, and then what about the monthly supplies?

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree with Fran - make sure to exhaust other options before trying a fundraiser. I'm just thinking that the pump is pricey but the supplies end up costing more in the long run - the infusion sets over the years would not be cheap if you have to pay for them out of pocket.

In our county you need a permit to have a raffle for any prize (or group of prizes) over $300. The permit isn't costly but it might be something to check into - I run into this doing PTA fundraisers.

12. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

13. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

The arrangements we made with the hospital the minimum they would take a month is almost $300. And that's just the hospital bill. We are paying what we can to the doctors and the ambulance. Between this and Connor's prescriptions we have no money.

14. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

We've gotten the ok thru our endo and our ins to be able to get a pump. After talking to the pump company our portion after ins is $3000. The supplies however are only $100 every 3 months which is a manageable amount. The pump company never told us about a payment plan. Maybe we need to ask for this? As far as state insurance we've looked into that and make too much money to qualify.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I've gotten some really great ideas as well as other places I can look into.

15. shekov

shekov Approved members

Definitely call the pump companies that your insurance deals with directly and explain your situation. I think our pump payment was about $50/month.

You could still have the fundraiser and use the $$ for a health care savings account and pay his bills out of that.

I'd look into holding it in your church "social hall" or basement or local community center or town hall. they may donate the space.

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

We had a payment plan with Animas for our first pump - we paid it off in a year sending about $100 a month (I think we owed about $1200 after insurance paid).

Glad to hear they will cover most of the cost of your supplies - that is the harder part - IMHO!

17. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Who says that the hospital has the right to make you pay the $300? What happens if you pay $100 or $50? If they send you to collections then there will just be a different and more annoying person trying to get you to pay. But that person will be willing to accept a percentage of the total bill. They too will not have a legal right to force you to pay more than you can afford. It will reflect badly on your credit rating but maybe that is not important. If you are not going to be applying for any loans any time soon then what does it matter what your credit rating is? But a bad rating will cause you to be denied if you do apply for loans or to pay more for credit cards and other things.

I think I saw someone starting to discuss this but what is wrong with staying on MDI for longer to save money?

18. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

A local school needed some help with money, and a local car wash donated a few dollars from each car wash that day toward the cause. Maybe you could make friends with a local car wash owner. :) Then stand out front on the day with a sign, and spread the word the best you can.

I have also tried to think of ways I could make a little extra money for my son to get a pump. So far I haven't actually done anything (I have 4 kids....need I say more?). But some ideas are mystery shopper, making things to sell (I sew) or soap or candles or some home party product. Those are things that you schedule yourself, and you can quit doing once you have the amt of $$ you need, if you want.

But, like others have said...pump companies are VERY interested in your business, so they might find a way to work something out.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

19. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

The only extra cost we'd incur is the actual pump it's self. We'd be trading the $40 a month levemir prescription for the $33 a month in pump supplies.

That is good to know about the hospital/collection agency. I'm not worried about credit ratings at all. We don't plan on buying a house anytime soon. Own both of our cars and don't have any credit cards. So the credit part isn't really that big of a deal. I guess we can just send them what we can.

The main reason we are trying to get a pump now is for my son's mental health. He's not handling everything very well right now. We currently are seeing a therapist every other week to try and help him cope with his new life. The other reason is to give him a little bit of hope, to show him that there are lots of people out there that care about him and are willing to help him. 1-2 years sounds like a life time when you're 9. I know realistically that we wont raise the full amount that we need but being proactive is a great motivational tool in my mind. We have opened him a separate savings account so all money raised would go into that account. When we told Connor about having this garage sale/bake sale for him it put that sparkle back into his eyes. We've been very diligent to make sure that he knows it might take more time but that we are working on it together. Connor has made arrangements along with his brother to help some of our neighbors with their yard work to help earn money to go toward his pump. Even if we only make a few dollars for our efforts to me it is worth it to show my son that he can help himself, that he can do hard things, that he can set goals and accomplish them, and that sometimes you can't do things on your own and it's ok to ask for help. It's also a great lesson to my other children in service. To teach them that even though they are only one person that they can make a big difference in the life of someone else by giving of their time, and talents.

The decision to go the direction of the pump was not made lightly it was given lots of careful thought and lots of prayer. This is something that we as a family feel good about and are hopeful that the pump will help Connor feel somewhat normal again. And in turn give me back the part of my child that I'm slowly loosing to depression. The rest relies on faith that everything will work out in the end.

20. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've heard of lions clubs and things like that helping out. have you tried them.

I second just paying less to the hospital