- advertisement -

Fun summer idea

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So, it's been hot here in CT and due to some work were doing on the house we have no AC and Maddie's previously subtle hints about putting in a pool ( not gonna happen) have reached fever pitch. To placate her we came up with this idea. Buy a big, thick plastic painters tarp, anchor it with a few landscape staples, put the sprinkler on it and you'll have a monster "slip-n-slide" :D

It's been a big hit - even with her friends who have pools ;)

Any other fun back yard ideas catching on at your house??:cwds:

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

That's how we made our slip n slides when i was little. We couldn't afford the real thing.

3. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Danger!!, Will Robinson!!!! (wouldn't be an official Jewish mother without throwing that in; can't help myself)

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Gee? What worries you more? The giant expanse of super slippery plastic? Or the presence of 3" staples??:p

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Danger is in stepping onto the slick surface and falling flat on back. Works well if they slide on stomach without stepping onto the tarp.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

That's funny, because before we put this homemade one out, we bought a few from ToysR'Us. They were very cheap, but too small to be of much fun while the painter's tarp one probably cost 3x what the "real" ones cost :p How times change;)

7. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We got a slipnslide last week and my sister brought over two more and the kids linked them in a long line - awesome until one of the kids tried to skim board down it and shredded all three of them!!! :)

The kids switched to two bags of water balloons after that - It kept them busy for a really long time-I did get nailed a couple of times when I went out to water my flowers :)

I switched the sprinklers on and the kids played a game of baseball with the sprinklers as the bases.

Thank goodness I am grandfathered in to some sort of ridiculously low water rates ($20 for two months - even with sprinklers going!) Shhhh don't tell the water company that there is some sort of mistake - my neighbor's water bill is sometimes 10X that.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I bought some huge plastic bins to store things in and the boys "borrowed" them the other day. I was in the house and they were yelling for me. I walked outside and they had filled the bins with water and were sitting in them:D So now they have their own personal "cool tubs" instead of hot tubs:)

9. susan

susan Approved members

We've also made the homemade slip n slide..Add a little dish soap for an extra fast slide ;):D

10. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

the dish soap is what we used to do....Ohh what fun!!!

11. shekov

shekov Approved members

sprinkler under the trampoline.

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

On one of the "Duggars" episodes, they used construction tarps on a hillside,rigged up a hose to keep it wet and at the bottom of the hill they dug a big hole and lined it so there was a splash pool to land in...makes me wish I had a hill in my backyard!

13. shekov

shekov Approved members

We also put COLD water in the baby pool and dump in a bag of ice. The the kids have to remove the ice using only their feet. Everyone likes that game!

14. matpat

matpat Approved members

baby shampoo works better because it doesn't burn when they get it in their eyes.

15. mlkatie

mlkatie Approved members

Sounds like fun--I'm going to try this, thanks!