advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrating

Discussion in 'MODY' started by sofaraway, Oct 21, 2008.

1. sofaraway

sofaraway Approved members

Just wondered if you guys find it frustrating trying to explain MODY to people.
    I find that most people don't really understand much about diabetes and wouldn't understand the difference between type 1 and 2, so to throw MODY in they will just be even more confused.

Also alot of health care professionals don't know about it either and kinda look like they don't believe you when you start explaining it. or just think that I'm a young person with type 2. that can get me pretty cross sometimes, trying to explain that I have a genetic, insulin sensitive form of diabetes, not type 2!

Do any of you guys just say you have type 1 or 2 just to make things easier?
    I do tend to let people think that I have type 1. For example If I'm asked if I have the type that needs insulin injections then i will reply 'yes'.

2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Yes I find it VERY frustrating to have to explain MODY. Sometimes I will say type 1, but usually I just say that I am Insulin Dependant (sp?).
    Sometimes I think that it wouldn't necassarily be easier to HAVE type 1, but easier to EXPLAIN. Atleast most people have heard of Type 1 and don't like this :eek: when trying to explain it.

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I do not have words to describe my fusteration. Yup.

4. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

You guys are gonna kill me ... but what is MODY? (running for cover);)

5. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Nah that's ok....we get that quite often:rolleyes:
    MODY stands for Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young
    I can't really explain it, but here is a really great website about MODY

6. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

Thank you! Sofaraways thread at the top really helped too. I get frustrated sometimes when I have to explain Typ1 and more people have heard of it. I bet it is frustrating to explain MODY to people that have never heard of it.

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Hey, I love to rattle people's minds. Did you know there are 50 plus forms of diabetes? MODY (Mature Onset Diabetes in the Young) is just one form of monogenic diabetes with neonatal diabetes being the other form of monogenic diabetes.
    Knowing this just doesn't make diabetes so cut and dry. It really is a YDMV thing.

8. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

I can totally understand how frustrated you get, but I've begun (after nearly 5 years) to just take it all in stride. My kids have the Neonatal form of Monogenic Diabetes. To top it off, their on the glyburide pills so you can imagine how confused doctors are when I throw that in the mix. Most of the time I just educate them in as few words as possible. I figure if I can educate just one person, maybe one other child may be saved by having the proper treatment some day and not misdiagnosed. Who knows, more educated people may one day make our jobs easier.

9. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Want to make MODY even more confusing add an insulin pump into the mix (I choose insulin over pills YDMV and pills didin't work with my lifestyle) I just avoid talking about it and emphasize the fact that I AM EXTREMELY insulin sensitive....Insurence companies seem to be even more confused with me as well which has had it's problems