- advertisement -

Frustrating start to the school year

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Aug 27, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

So frustrating! This is the week before school, so I went in to find out who DD's teacher will be so I could make an appointment to meet with her about DD's diabetes. The decision (of who her teacher will be) will not be made until Wednesday, "hopefully." We are supposed to find out who it is on Thursday. Friday is a mandatory furlough day and Monday is a holiday. School starts on Tuesday. My only hope and prayer is that maybe the teacher will be able to meet with us on Thursday afternoon/evening? Otherwise, I can't send a child with diabetes off to school all day with a caregiver (teacher) who has no idea of what to look for to know if my child needs help; so I guess the teacher is going to have a classroom helper on Tuesday...ME!

Not that I mind helping in the class, but it's just so frustrating that the school is not willing to work with us a little more. Last year, they made the decision (of which teacher she would have) for my child in advance, but this year they seem unwilling to do that. (As least the secretary who was in today was unwilling.)

I have a call in to the district nurse (we have a great relationship from last year) to find out what she feels is the best course of action for getting the teacher trained before the first day of school.

I am just frustrated and disappointed. We had very few and minor problems with the school last year, and I was expecting the same this year. Now I am more stressed.

Ok, deep breath, rant over.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm confused..... School starts next Tuesday and they haven't assigned students to teachers yet or they aren't saying who is with what teacher????

I find it odd that the teachers don't already have their assignments. Can you check with the school nurse? Whenever we have an issue with communication with a teacher, our school nurse has been very helpful.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Our elementary schools wouldn't post the class lists until the afternoon before the first day of school. They'd literally post it and lock the office and leave. The reason was so many parents wanted their child in Mrs. so and so's class or Mr. so and so's class that they'd all converge on the poor office ladies complaining. My Mom was a kindergarten teacher for decades and they did jigger around the class lists until the last possible moment.

My guess is that the secretary is just following policy and not listening to the reason why you need to know sooner. I'm sure the principal or nurse can help out.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wow, our school is brave. They assign classes the last weeks of school, you find out your teacher the last day and if you don't like it, you have to wait until the 2nd week of August.

I agree, the person is most likely following policy, you did the right thing by contacting the nurse (I'd follow up with the principal too).

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How much do you indend on the teacher to do?

IF you can not have a meeting before school starts then:

I would just write a welcome letter to the teacher, and drop it off at the school. tell them this is for sos and so's teacher to be read before school starts.

Include in the letter the important cues that your child has in regards to highs and lows. And when your child is to be tested and have snacks/lunch. All the things you would normally plan on doing with a new teacher. request that you meet ASAP to address any issues and to receive any "specials" scheduales that need to be taken into account for testing/snack times.

We personally do not have the teacher responsible for much, so it is mostly a nurse/clinical aide/ school secreatary issue. But my DD also wears a CGM and feels low low's at around 65 pretty well.

Can you ask the school nurse for help and or make sure that they will have everything handled the first week, until you can make an appointment with the teacher?

6. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We were lucky in that although our school doesn't post the class lists until Monday (and school starts Wed) We were able to find out DD's teacher and meet with the school nurse and the teacher a week before school started. The teacher admitted that she didn't know who else was going to be in the class. I guess the principal assigned the "special" kids so that we could prepare.

That being said, Hannah is doing most of her own testing and she sees the nurse at lunch for her shot. The teacher doesn't play much of a role in her diabetes care, other than allowing her to test and watching for symptoms of lows/highs.

I think if you have a good relationship with the school nurse that is a huge help.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

That's pretty much what ours does. They post the class list Friday after 3pm, when everyone has left the building. And of course no one is there in the afternoon, and school starts up on Monday.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

To echo others, don't waste time seeking out the teacher/secretary, make a bee line to the nurse and the principal and the guidance counselor or if you have one the 504 coordinator. Secretary won't tell you anything and the teacher doesn't get involved until the first day of school. And yes, you may have to spend the first day or two on campus (though not in the classroom) doing training and doing care.

Your daughter has the right to attend school in safety but you do not have the right to ask the teacher to get involved after hours or before the school year begins.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have heard from others that this is pretty common practice these days. However, I am sure the teachers still *know* before then and in medical cases I would think the school nurse should be able to assist in setting up a meeting prior to the start of school. It's insane to think everything could be handled on the first day of school.

My son is in middle school and pretty much independent in his care, however I still send an email to every teacher explaining that he has Type 1 Diabetes, etc. etc. I think it's important that the teacher is aware of these things ahead of time.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed. Teachers can't meet prior to the official teacher start date due to contracts. In addition the teacher start days are tricky too because they are in so many meetings. For example, today, our school has a district breakfast, breakout meetings, then school meetings. School starts Wed. I won't meet with my daughters teacher until at least Thursday or Friday this week.

However, I have touched base via email (introducing myself, my daughter) and have met with the nurse and gone over everything. She will in turn, make sure the teachers are prepared to have my daughter in their class.