- advertisement -

Frustrated!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We have lost 2 pods today alone. This is the first time we've gotten them knocked off, but 2 in one day is very frustrating. We've been pumping for 3 weeks. The pods seem to do really well on her arms, they aren't as likely to get bumped around. We changed pods last night and put it on her hip, then she knocked that one off flopping on the couch this afternoon. We changed it around 12:30 and put it on her thigh and then at VBS this evening she knocked that one off in the bounce house.

I know ripping the site out can happen with any pump, I'm not frustrated with the pod, I'm frustrated in general. It is ripping right off the adhesive backing, like the backing stays attached all the way around, but the pod rips off the adhesive, leaving it intact and the pod hanging off.

Like I said, her arms seem to do better, but we can't just use her arms and she's not willing to try her tummy yet.

Other than duct taping it down, what can we do to ensure it stays on more than 6 hours?

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

We have never used the hip area, but when they are very active sometimes you DO have to tape the pods down. We use plain old first aid adhesive tape. For the arms sometimes we have cut the cuff off of cute socks and used that to help support and protect the pod. Some people use vet wrap that is sold in pet stores and on line but Hailey did not like that. It comes in cute colors though. Good luck! It is definitely rotten to have two come off so close together!

3. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

We had the exact same problem when we started the OmniPod with our 5 year old (he's 6 now). I really think it's an awareness problem - they forget it's there and maybe aren't as careful? I thought that switching to the pod would be easy since we had been pumping for a year already. But the first month I was SO FRUSTRATED because we couldn't get a pod to stay on the full 3 days (we had the same problem, the pod coming off of the fabric adhesive part). Six year olds are very, very active!

All of the sudden, after a month or so, it wasn't an issue anymore - I think mainly because he got used to it and was more aware. Sure, we still have it happen, but I will use Hypafix tape and tape it down if it's in a precarious position. In fact, the back end of his pod started pulling away from the adhesive after day one yesterday, so I just taped it down. We have been swimming A LOT this summer so we've had more pods fall off.

4. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

I am having the same problem today...

Does the Hypafix secure over the top of the pod to hold the entire thing down or is it applied between the pod and the skin?

5. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

I tape it over the whole pod.

6. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

What width do you use?

7. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

It's the 2 inch size. Depending on where the pod is, sometimes I tape it lengthwise, or if it's on his arm, I'll wrap it over the middle and around his arm.

If we go to a waterpark (like tomorrow!) I will just tape the heck out of the whole thing. :)

8. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Ditto. We love hypafix and use it for the Pod and Dexcom. We use the 2 inch and cut enough to just go over the top of the pod and go over the pod tape a little. We haven't lost one yet...mind you we've only been at this for 2 wks but it works great. (We lost a first one because it wasn't taped down.)

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Yes, this. Whether it's the Pod or a tubed pump, there is this "thing" stuck to them and sometimes it takes some time to get used to it. :) My son was constantly knocking them off in the beginning. Now we VERY rarely have one that gets knocked off. We also secure it when he goes outside to play.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We use a one inch wide piece of Flexifix over the top of the pod. Using the four inch size it takes two pieces to go across and down the sides onto the skin about an inch or more. She always wears it on her arms and never realizes which arm it is on, I know when I go to change it and she gives me the wrong arm! The thigh one came off immediately, when she turned over at night, so we never tried that again. We haven't lost one since we started using the Flexifix, and you can't even see it.