- advertisement -

Frustrated...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Jun 4, 2008.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

My son came home today from school due to having the "wobbles" His numbers were okay just fluxuating up and down too quickly. He came home before lunch. His grandmother called I told her cover his lunch (3units) - we are on lantus/novolog no pump until July...and let him eat. Well as soon as he took the insulin, he decided he could not eat because he did not feel well. She called me at work I instructed that he had to get the carbs into him (he's on a 1:35), so I had him drink gatorade and try to eat some pb crackers. While I drove my 30 min ride home. He ended up vomiting - I got home started with gingerale and his numbers started to drop very quickly - down from 116 to 90 in 10 minutes he could not stop vomiting I called the Endo's office they told me call my ped (because she is local) ask for an rx for phengram (Sp?) The ped would not give it to me by this time his numbers drop to 70 while I am trying to force feed him gingerale, I get him in the car to the ER because I was afraid of him dropping more than that...I get there explain to ER dr he says oh, possible appendicitis I say no its keytones he needs to have iv (all of this was per my Endo who is not affiliated with my hospital) Now Aaron's count is 80 because I force fed him a popsicle on the way to hospital and his adrinelin of not wanting to go to hospital, so I fight with ER no one would listen, they give him something to stop the vomiting and they make him drink an awful liquid to have a ct scan to check for apendisitis all 5 1/2 hrs later ct scan looks good, they give us a lecture on keeping his levels good and send us home. I have all I can do not to lose my cool because I knew this the entire time and they just acted like I was invisible not listening or seeing us waiting forever sitting there. They were not busy either. I bring him home, feed him because he is feeling better now, check keytones and now he is moderate bg is 98. I bring him up to 130 and start sick day plan. Waiting for my endo to call...I am a nervous wreck and probably won't get any sleep tonight checking him all night... Did I do the right things? or am I just over reacting because we are still new at this on dx'd 3 months ago. Your advise is appreciated. TIA Sorry if my spelling is terrible, I just can't think straight right now...

2. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

It sounds to me like you did the right thing....you tried to cover the insulin anyway you could and I totally would have gone to the ER, too. Never mind being new to D, but the whole throwing up/ketone thing can be scarry. I'm all about the IV of glucose and fluids. Not pleasant for the child but better than the alternative. I hope you have a peaceful night and that he's feeling better. Keep up the good work!

3. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

You did exactly right !!! Way to go !! The only reason he got to come home was because they did give him the anti vomiting med. (probably Zofran) and then he was able to get the carbs in. It's frustrating when they don't listen to you, we ended up in the hospital for 5 days over a stomach virus w/ symptoms like your sons (and a fever) but they kept putting off getting the dextrose drip started and let him get in terrible shape. Give yourself a pat on the back and I hope your son feels better soon.

4. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thank you for your quick responses! Endo just called said that I need to follow the sick plan which is more insulin every 2 hours to get rid of keytones. I'm a nervous wreck that I have to give him more insulin at night and terrified of having hypoglicemia tonight...so, I will probaly just sleep with him tonight. Thanks agian!

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

You did the right thing...Just wondering how old is your son? Yes you probably will not sleep tonight and you will be up checking him..we all have done that when they are not feeling the greatest!! That is good that you have a sick day plan...I have one too and its pretty basic..great idea sleep with him tonight..that way you are right there.. :)
    NJ here Garden state parkway exit 117 here.

6. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

We made it through a long night, Aaron (12 yrs old) has no keytones now and running a little high (180) but will take care of that when he gets up in 40minutes for breakfast. Thank you all for your kind words. I am so happy that I have you all for advise! :p

7. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Good to hear that he made it through a long night...:) Hope you both have a better day today.

8. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

You did well - I would, however, have a serious discussion with the ped and perhaps have the endo talk to the ped as well - he/she should have been more cooperative with giving the anti-nausea meds and could perhaps have saved you the ER trip if he/she had provided what was needed/requested.

9. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Sorry to hear that you had a rough night, but I do think that you handled it well.. Things will get easier the longer into the dx's, but I also think that your pedi needs to know that he is going to have to work with you as well, not that your child has D in these kind of situations!