- advertisement -

Frustrated with stubborn high!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twicker1, Apr 27, 2010.

1. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I guess I'm looking for ideas, because I can't seem to wrap my head around why Brandon is high! He was in the 200's mid morning, and upper 300's before and after lunch. I knew he was ready for a site change today, so I just picked him up from school. Did site change, corrected AGAIN, and now, 2 hours later he is still mid 300's!

I don't think he is getting sick. Nothing to indicate that. I don't know what else to do. Could it be that we have our appointment next week??? :rolleyes:

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

OMG Tuesday! We just went through this! seriously, I could not understand why Steven was having 300s and even some 400s:eek: which is really strange for him. One thing I did find out is that he is going through a massive growth spurt. He has always had a real fast metabolism and gains weight very slowly, he doesnt have an oz of fat on him. His last endo appt he was 69 LBs, a couple days ago he got on the scale and was 74! Now this is about how much weight Steven gains in a year. Im wondering if Brandon is going through the same thing and is extremely insulin resistant.

And Im sure youre having TCOUEV (the curse of upcoming endo visit) This is a real phenomenon that many CWD have gone through proving that it is in fact a real reason for high, screwy BGs. This happens so the endo can look at your last weeks worth of numbers and give you the hairy eyeball;)

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Have you checked the insulin? Is it still good?

I would try a separate basal program for this. It may be he just needs more basal.

4. twicker1

I almost hope it is a growth spurt. He, too, is very thin (only 50 lbs). I just don't know... It's very frustrating since they are doing state testing today and tomorrow. Hmm, I wonder if that could be it? I doubt it though. He finished quickly, and doesn't seem phased by it. He woke up a little over 200 too. If this last correction doesn't work, I'm pulling out the pen!

5. StillMamamia

Test ketones.;)

6. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Remember if your basal is off the corrections won't stick. What I do with stubborn highs is increase basal to 130% for a couple of hours along with the correction. Make sure you test frequently to see if bs is moving too quickly and some carbs will be needed.

7. twicker1

I understand that basals increase, but I'm still not sure I understand why kids/people need temporary basals(1 day - less or more) unless there is an illness. What would cause someone to need a small time frame heavy basal unless ill?

... I'm still not confident in the temp basal area...

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'd be correcting by shots every 3 hours until he's under 200..

9. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

With stubborn highs I've found what works best for Liam is to up the basal by about 40-50% for 2 hours. That usually works even when regular bolus corrections don't.

10. StillMamamia

Anything which will cause highs.:) Stress, anxiety, happiness...

You can try temp basal for short times, just to try it out. Like, if you see BG is a bit higher than what it should be, try it out for 1hr, then 2. Same for not so low lows, and you have a bit of IOB left, you can run a lower temp basal for short periods til BG is up a bit.

Then, when you get comfy, you can try it for illnesses, overnight.

11. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Did you try a new vial of insulin? If nothing is working I would try a new vial. Good luck and I hope you get those darn Bg's under 200.

12. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I am no expert on why some basal increases are temporary---I just know that for my daughter when she is over 250 she needs more insulin that her correction factor to come down. Maybe becomes more insulin resistant? Also, my daughter seems to not get ketones unless sick but some kids just get ketones when high and more insulin is needed to clear the ketones on top of bringing down the bs.

The nice thing about the temp basals are you are not too committed to them--you can cancel at any time. I almost automatically run a 130% temp basal for 3 hours when my daughter is 250 (not food-related) along with a correction to get things moving. Usually that is all she will need and very rarely has it been too much.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. Sounds like it's time to increase the basals. Could be temporary, could be permanent. Only time will tell. If it's temporary, it could be stress, he could be fighting off a cold, it could be a little growth spurt, etc. But corrections are just like treading water at this point. You need to give corrections and increase the basal to get him in range again.