- advertisement -

Frustrated...please help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emma'sParents, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Emma'sParents

Emma'sParents Approved members

Our Emma has been pumping for just about a month on the MiniMed 522 and even with the help of her endo at Joslin Clinic (who is phenomenal and we love!), her readings are still all over the place. We've had highs (higher that when she was on MDI), lows (more frequently), etc. Her sites seem to be good for two days, them we change location. We have adjusted basals, boluses, carb ratios, etc., and can't seem to come up with a happy equation. Overnights there is no rhyme nor reason to her readings (still checking every three hours or so)...

So my question is, how long to adjust to being on the pump? Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

(She was very well controlled on MDI, so this is a huge adjustment...)

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

the whole pump basals take a while to adjust because of factors not used to with mdis

factors sports basal adjustments fot the activity, sickness, boluses finding the right one for food, sites weather the site is suitable for child and where to place it absorbtion levels.

for the first month of pumping my best suggestion is log everthing,
    then you will be able to see the trends.

Best of luck we all like our pumps, and wouldn't trade them

3. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

When Andrew started pumping we had a very tough time too! It took us months to get it figured out. I was very frustrated with his pumping as well but after about 4 months it seemed to come together and now corrections are much easier. The basal rate for us was much higher than what we had it originally set up as if I recall correctly and then we could lower his ratio at meals. It will come together but I dont think too many people get it together in a month- hang in there- it takes time.

4. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I am not sure of the exact amount of time to get things regulated, I don't think there is an exact time frame.. I have heard though that it can take months to get it right and then change the next day.. We are still trying to adjust to our basal rate as well..

5. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

There will always be tweaks to the settings even when you finally "get there", but the major challenge up front is figuring out her basals, which can be hard in a kid. The other thing to consider is that you may be doing more checking now than when you were doing on MDI, so may have more information to evaluate how well she is controlled than you previously had. Hope it all works out for your daughter! It can be very frustrating but hang in there, it is so worth it!

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It took us a little over a month to get everything to more normal numbers. I mean we still had wonky numbers, but things definitely looked a heck of a lot better! Throw in that different activities, an illness etc. So, it definitely takes time.

We emailed our numbers every week to Joslin, and we were always making adjustments. With our CDE's help, we definitely started seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! It will just take time to get there. Remember YDMV, so a month for us could be 2 or 3 for someone else.

7. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

Lindsay has been pumping on Minimed since June 2008 and I would say it was September before I can say we had her blood sugars where they needed to be on a consistent basis (whatever that means, this IS diabetes we're talking about!). Anyway, that was a much longer adjustment period than I thought.....I had figured after a month or so we'd be there. But we tried all three different sites with the pump--Quickset, Sure T's and the Silhouette and were still having sites go bad after a couple of days, etc. Finally we switched to Apidra and use the Sure T's and we go 4 days with a site and accidentally went 5 days this past time and still saw good numbers. I credit the Apidra for that--we were on Humalog. So that is what worked for us--everyone is different but I like to share our pump story because our beginning was a rough one and we finally found something that worked. Good luck and don't give up--by month two we were all wanting to give up the pump and now I wouldn't go back to shots for the world and neither would Lindsay. I hope things get better for youl.

8. Emma'sParents

Emma'sParents Approved members

Thank You

Sorry this took a few, but thank you all for you replies and words of encouragement! We just needed to hear that we weren't going to be swimming against the tide forever...my arms are tired!!:cwds:

9. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

My son has been pumping for almost a year. We were given instructions by our Endo. for basal/bolus/correction. We have had to fine tune and at times have been very frustrated, but you will get there. My advice is to fine tune basal's first. Take segments at a time. What works for us when bg readings start going out of range is working on overnite basals; a reading at 10 p.m .when he goes to bed, then another at 2 a.m. then another at 6 a.m. when he wakes up. Then work on the the daytime segment when your child is at school. Then finally work on when your child is back home with you. Once you are satisfied with your basals, you can work on you bolus's and correction. Get the book by John Walsh 'Pumping Insulin'. We have had to make many adjustments throughout the year due to growth, hormones and puberty (my son is 14), but pumping is much easier than MDI. It does eventually get easier, hang in there!

10. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We had three very frustrating situations when we started the pump.
    1- Our sites were kinking, and that was throwing her numbers off dramatically! So we switched to a different type of site.
    2- A new site change was making her go low 4 to 6 hours later. She was going high from the stress of the site change in the beginning and then would turn around a go really low later.
    3- I did not understand in the beginning that the MM pump does not take IOB into consideration with a bolus when your blood sugar is "in range" (your personal pump settings).

Those 3 things really caused havoc for us.