- advertisement -

From the mouths of babes....

Discussion in 'Grandparents' started by EmmasPapa, Aug 20, 2007.

1. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

Every now and then a child can come out with something that stops you "dead in your tracks!" The other day Amy brought the kids by to see us. Emma and I had taken a walk and were playing with a train set I made for her brother - but that she has taken a great interest in. Suddenly, out of nowhere, she looks up at me and says "Papa - you won't poke me, will you?"

I almost started crying. I have "poked" her little fingers many times so I know that wasn't what she was talking about. When it is time for a stick you ask her which finger and she will hold one up without hesitation. She isn't real fond of having her site changed, but that has never been a big problem for her Mom and I have never done it.

The only thing we can come up with is that she was really talking about the "big Pokes" - the IV's that are inserted at the hospital. It's just not right that a little 3 year old should be in a position of worrying about IV "pokes!"

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

It is hard to hear those things come from them, isn't it.:(
    take care,
    Allene

3. willdee3

willdee3 Approved members

I know how you feel! Savannah is to go to the doctor again Thursday and they want to put her on the pump. She says she doesn't want one. I just feel it is because of the IV she got in her hand when she was in the hospital. There is still a red place where it was inserted and I think it took everybody in the hospital to hold this little 2 year old, 23 lb baby down to do this.

Her sister's friend has a pump and she showed it to Savannah, with the tubing inserted in her stomach. The hospital experience was really bad and so were the checks and shots after coming home. She is now like Emma, when you ask where she just holds up a finger or says arm or leg but she will not forget that awful first time with the IV. It really took a lot to get her to let them take it out. She called it a "special straw" to make her feel better. Somebody probably called it that first but it hasn't been forgotten.

She says that she wants to be just like she is now with her shots and checks forever. This is really hard to do and not want to just cry your eyes out! If we could only take this disease from "our" precious babies, we would do it gladly, but that is not the case.

Hope you are feeling better Emma and grandpapa!!!!!!

4. riccog

riccog Approved members

I used to think all the finger pokes didn't really bother or son either because he doesn't put up a fight and doesn't even flinch. But about a few months ago he asked if he could sit on a box he was playing with while I check his blood. So I did. And before I could even cock the lancet device he looked me dead in the eyes and told me "daddy, that thing to check my blood hurts me" This coming from the mouth of a 26mo. Tears started flowing down my face (and are now too :( ) As soon as he saw this he then tells me, " But it's ok to check my blood daddy". Blood checks aren't really the same anymore for me. I actually honestly try and pawn as many of them off as I can. It's horrible I know, but on occasion I have a hard time with them. So honey if your reading this, it's time for Alex to be checked ;) .

5. willdee3

Everyone on this site knows how hard it is and ALL about tears. Rips in the heart and pain in the soul. This disease and our little children shouldn't even know each other but unfortunately they live each day with it. Just remember, if we didn't do the things we HATE doing, we wouldn't have these babies with us anymore. I have tears running down my face too as I know just how you feel. I am sorry for all parents who have to do this!
    Most of all, I'm sorry for all the little children who have to do this too!!!!!!!!!!

6. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

We all have to remember that with the bad times there are also a bunch of good times. Here is one of the good times. Sitting in her pink birthday chair with big brother watching over her....

7. willdee3

Yes, there sure are some good times. The kids are so beautiful and I know you are a proud "Papa". We have so much fun when the girls get to come over here and visit. Do your grands get to have sleepovers? I am waiting for that to happen with ours.

8. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

My grandson sleeps over a lot - several times a month - but Emma has not spent the night since the onset of D. We have babysat her at her house and ours for extended periods of time, but we cannot hear her pump alarm so overnights aren't a good idea at this point.

9. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

my granddaughter totally tugged at my heart one night when she was sleeping over with us: I was doing a 'middle-of-the-night check' and she rolled over in her sleep and opened her eyes just long enough to look at me and say "thank you, Nana!" I tip-toed out of the room with warm tears rolling down my face - to think of a 2 yo thanking me for poking her in the middle of the night!!

10. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

How sweet is that? And how rewarding!