- advertisement -

From Omnipod's customer service:- Do not reuse Insulin.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JeremysDad, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Yesterday, Jeremy was replacing his pod. He filled a new one with 200 units of Novolog and instead of the short beep letting him know that the pod had registered the insulin in it's reservoir, it began to beep constantly. It was obviously defective. After silencing it, he set the pod aside and successfully attached a new one.

Before he set it aside, he pulled the insulin out of the pod and put it into a new pod.

I called Insulet and told them what had happened and they added a new pod to my shipment to replace the defective one.

During my conversation with their customer service rep, the topic of insulin removal came up and I told him that Jeremy had pulled the insulin from the old pod and injected it into the new pod. The rep advised me not to do it. I asked why and he said that while the pods are sterile, there is always the possibility that some foreign particle could be re-introduced from the old pod reservoir into the new pod reservoir. I told him that this insulin had never been used and it seems like such a waste to throw out 200 units of insulin, especially at this time of year when many of us are nowhere near to meeting our deductible and are currently paying full price for it. He agreed but said that Insulet does not recommend it.

I know that many of us re-use unused insulin, especially when there is a lot remaining. It's not recommended but I cannot see how it could be compromised if it is inserted and then removed and re-inserted from a sterile container, into another sterile container.

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I always remove the insulin if we have a defected pod. We only put the minimum in but it could add up over time, especially in the winter when we seem to have our pod issues.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

If a pod fails relatively soon, we remove the insulin and reuse it.

We asked our endo's NP about it and she said she checked with the endo and while it wasn't ideal, they did not think that there was a lot of risk to doing so.

4. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

We always pull out the insulin if its new and fails. They are both from sterile packages...I think theres always a risk of introducing a foreign particle, like when we pull out the insulin from the vial and inject it into the pod. We were recommended not to do it as well, but i think its silly to waste all that new insulin...they arent paying for it!! We've been doing it for a year with no adverse effects and we will continue to unless a problem surfaces!

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

This does not surprise me ... Insulet CS used to say to reuse then later they were reluctant but I knew all along that, sooner or later, sterility would become an issue - a legal one.

It's not a sterile transfer.

6. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

This recommendation will not stop me from re-using insulin. I understand Insulet's need to be conservative however.

7. SueM

SueM Banned

We take the insulin out and use it in a new pod if it is defective from the beginning (ie screeches during priming or whatever). I imagine the Insulet customer service people are now told to do that for liability reasons. Not an ideal situation of course...