- advertisement -

FRIO Cooling bags

Discussion in 'Other Diabetes Products' started by Sweetkidmom, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

http://www.friouk.com
    Does anyone have any experience with using the FRIO cooling bags/wallets? Do they really keep the insulin cool and for how long? I was thinking this would be great for camping, instead of having to lug a (much larger) cooler box along. Also for having on car trips where the car gets very hot.

I want to order one, but would love to hear that they actually work, before I do!

Thanks.
    Kay

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The FRIO bags work very well. Many families used them at our summer Friends for Life conference in Orlando, Florida. The conference is held in July, when it's beastly hot, and the FRIO packs keep the insulin cool while out at the theme parks.

3. noelphobic

noelphobic Approved members

We have 2 Frio bags which we have used on holiday and been very happy with.

Brenda

4. Sweetkidmom

Hi Jeff and noelphobic

Thanks for your input. I took a deep breath and ordered FRIO things on the Net - yikes, expensive in our currency, but if they work well, it will hopefully be worth it.

I ordered a pump bag as well, as I get concerned about the insulin in the pump reservoir on the very hot days in summer, which are 35-42 degrees Celcius (95-108F) She has more highs then, and I've wondered if it might not be that the insulin degrades.

And I fell for the Migraine Head Soother too, as our family suffers terribly from headaches. The thought of a lovely cool thing around your head on those hot headache-pounding days...... :( ---> :D

Can't wait to recive them!

Kay

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  5. Sweetkidmom

Well, I received the FRIO bags and Headache soother and I am very impressed! They work amazingly well! Had I only known before...

6. Red (aus)

Red (aus) Approved members

That's great Kay, it's always nice to find something that works well, especially after the expense. We've got a small frio bag that we use when going away for weekends etc but are planning a big holiday later this year so I'll have to pull my finger out and order some extras.

7. gardencream

gardencream Approved members

Experienced Frio users,

How many Frio bags and what sizes would you suggest? We are thinking of going away for the summer- anywhere from one month to 2.5 months. Do we need an extra large bag and/or a small one? We will be carrying about 4 bottles of Lantus and 15 3ml cartridges of Novolog. We will have a fridge during most of our stay. So I am just concern the day trips where we need to carry 1 insulin pen and the entire supplies while travel on planes. Also would we be able to use a large bag to carry just one insulin pen. Can the bag be folded up and still work well?

8. otter005

otter005 Approved members

We have bee using the frio bags for approx a year now. they work very well. If I could make one suggestion though...be sure to plan ahead. It seems to take longer than the 15 minutes of soaking that the company recommends. Maybe it's like the "the watched pot never boils" thing, but just a suggestion.

9. Becky

Becky Approved members

I have the pump bag and have found that one vial of insulin in the box (need that box for airline travel) or two vials out of the box or an insulin pump without the clip fit well. Frio bags work by evaporation so, as long as the bag can "breathe", I don't see why you couldn't fold it around the pen a little and still have it work. They do, however, swell when you soak them in water to "charge" them, so a large might get really bulky for just one pen.

Hope this helps!

Becky

10. Sweetkidmom

I bought a 'small' size and it works like a dream. But now I wish I had got the next size up (medium?) The problem is that the GlucaGen Hypokit doesn't fit in it and so when she sleeps out, Jessica takes out the little vial with the powder and puts that in the bag (it's supposed to be kept cold) and put the rest of the hypokit somewhere else.

This proved to be a major headache the last time she had a severe hypo and was convulsing in the middle of the night. Her sister (I was not with her) could only find the vial and not the rest of the kit and it took a long time and lots of panic before they found everything and got the injection into her and she stopped convulsing.

(Obviously we should have had a more organised bag yadda yadda, but Jess is now 13 and organises her own stuff and just wasn't thorough enough. But my point is, had the Frio bag been big enough to hold the whole kit, this would not have been an issue at all.

The bags swell considerably, which reduces the space inside. The small bag holds pens, vials, bottles very comfortably, but the GlucaGen kit box sticks out the top.

Must say I am madly impressed with the product and would definitely recommend it to anyone in hot countries or going to hot places. I also bought the Migraine Soother that you put around your head as we're a migrainous family and the name 'Soother' is very apt!
    (Mr Frio, this is a plug. How about sending me a free Medium bag? ;) )

11. markjwales

markjwales New Member

Frio Cooling Products

Firstly I want to say how great the Frio product. I bought one about 8 years ago and is still working just as well as when I bought it but does take a little longer to active compared to when I first bought it. I contacted Frio’s manufacturer which is based in the UK, they confirmed that the crystals will take longer to activate and turn to a gel form over time but as long as it turns to a gel the Frio will be working.

Whilst I was on the phone with a nice young man from Frio who I must say was a great help, he mentioned that the Frio can not only keep insulin cool in hot temperatures but also it stops the insulin from freezing in very cold temperatures, it is also an insulator.
    So if you are planning on travelling by air the Frio wallet can be placed in the hold of the airplane, wrapped up in a towel and put in the middle of your suit case.
    Apparently Frio sells their products to mountain climbers and also recently to a person who is undergoing a trip to Antarctica. Thank god for Frio, insulin dependent people can travel without worry.

Frio have a new updated website which also has a forum at www.friouk.com
    :)

12. JenC

JenC Approved members

Frio is cool !

Hiya,

Just wanted to say that we've also used the Frio successfully when travelling or on holiday.

Wish we'd had two, rather than the one, as you always seem to need to take more insulin 'n' stuff than you think!

Thanks for the reminder that I need to order another one before we go off on vacation this year.

13. sam

sam New Member

Frio Cooling Products

Last summer I went to Tenerife on holiday. I had only been told I had diabetes a few weeks before travelling but this did not hold me back. I consulted my GP and she advised me to buy a Frio wallet to keep my insulin cool until I got to the fridge in the hotel.
    To my utter disbelief there was neither fridge nor fridge available in the hotel to store my insulin. Luckily I bought the Frio only intending its use for the transfer to the hotel, but it kept my insulin cool for the whole of my holiday.

I can personally say that the Frio wallet is a vital piece of kit for a diabetic and every insulin dependent diabetic should carry one. I wasn’t aware that insulin degrades above 30°C until I spoke to my GP.
    I ordered my Frio from www.friouk.com. By the way they have a new website which also has a new forum, so if anyone has any questions or topics regarding the Frio then visit their website.

Two words to describe a Frio ‘Life Saver’.

14. manic4titans

manic4titans Approved members

What size for Disney World?

We will be carrying Glucagon and novolog pen. We will inject Lantus before we leave the hotel so that won't be with us during the day.

15. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

i want a frio ...byeta was supposed to send me one for free that fit the pen but i have yet to recieve it :(:( we really dont travel much so i havent envested in one on my own yet since they are a bit pricy ...to me anyways