- advertisement -

friends houses, drop off?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jake's mom in NC, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I am sure this thread has been discussed before, but I am curious about how everyone goes about playdates and drop off birthday parties. Jake is 8, he knows how to use his pump but I always double check his numbers before he hits "go" and he has had diabetes for 1 year now. He wants to go on playdates to friends houses and most of the birthdays are drop off now and I don't let him without me. I feel like he should be able to do these things, I want him to have a normal childhood as much as possible, but I am scared for his safety. He is responsible but he doesn't always recognize his lows. He had a 29 and 37 during the last month:eek: How do I start letting him do things on his own?

2. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

I also think its important for your child to feel as "normal" as possible. I'd say that by the time my son was 7 (he's now 9), I felt comfortable dropping him off for a playdate for about 2 hours (the other parent would always be aware of his diabetes and what a low might look like). Usually, the playdate would be after lunch or snack where I was comfortable with his current BGs.

Now that Jacob's 9, he's really wanting more independence and longer times playing with friends. I now send him with his meter kit, and some glucose tabs (he's also now pumping so he could bolus for any food - I usually have either the parent or Jacob call me if he wants to eat so I can help with the carb count).

I'm still not comfortable with a sleepover away from home, and Birthday parties can still be tricky too (all the different food!).

I think if you take small steps at a time (maybe just an hour or two away at a friends) you'll start feeling more comfortable. I'm also finding his friends and parents are really starting to be more familiar with his diabetes management, and that helps!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM-Revel since 12-10

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We haven't really tackled this yet, but it really has nothing to do with her diabetes. We're pretty strict about no playdates after school. But she does go to Church every Wednesday night. Since she knows how to do her own injecctions, I send her meter and pen with her. The ladies at church know that she can eat whatever as long as they have a carb count for her, and she can bolus for it accordingly.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think for us, the big thing was trust. Not of our daughter, but of the person who was hosting. So, playdates, we were selective of whose house she went to, they were given info on lows and what to do. As for snacks, we explained that if they can just add up the carbs, watch her plug them into her pump and make sure she didn't invert any numbers, she was good to go.

As for parties, I started by dropping off and sitting in the parking lot and then going in after the food was served. Got a general idea of what she had eaten and bolused. Usually we did ok. Again, I told parent to be aware if she acted strange (we'll stranger than normal:D) and if she seemed off, have her check and treat if low.

Now, she has a cellphone for these situations. She will call me, we talk about the carbs, she reads back what she is plugging in. I still tell the parents, but it's working out well.

It's only taken 6 years, but I've finally let the cord loosen a bit!:eek:

5. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

thanks for the advice!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son will be 8 in March.

For playdates, fortunately he has quite a few friends in the neighborhood, so close by. I send him with his meter, tabs, and he wears a CGM. He knows that if he alarms that he is to call me. (Or if he's at the neighbor two doors up, he just runs home quickly.) I have him test while he's on the phone with me, and we decide if I need to go over and deal with whatever or not. Typically playdates are an hour or an hour and a half at this point. Also, we do a lot of playdates at our house.

For birthday parties, I go and stay, no exceptions. There's too much activity and food, and at this point he doesn't count carbs or dose himself at all. He doesn't mind that I'm there, and while it's not my idea of a fun, relaxing afternoon, it's just the way things are right now.

7. kimd

kimd New Member

My daughter is 7 years old. She has had the pump for 2 1/2 years. She takes the bus home and sometimes to afterschool playdates. The rule is that she has to call me when she gets to her friends house and tell me what her blood sugar is. Then she has to call me when she eats. She checks her BG and puts her carbs/BG into pump and does her own insulin. I still help her with carb counting over the phone and she does the rest.

I only send her to friends houses with responsible parents. We also has a deal. If she does not call me then she can not go and play.

So far this has worked out quite well. Try starting with using the pump independently at home. Often times I will tell her to correct and she's in a totally different room. She'll say "I'm 206" and say she gets "0.65 units." I'll shout back, that's right and we're done. In my head I know roughly what her correction should be so, if it's close then I agree and go on. This gives her some ownership, self confidence, and me some freedom.

Now I worry much less because she has demonstrated her ownership at home. Send him to his friends house with some parameters and let him play. :)

Good luck!