- advertisement -

Friends for life.. does everyone stay @ the Marriott.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cabins Crue, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

Just wondering if people stay anywhere else then "on site" where the conference is.. Thanks for the input
    Happy new Year!!!

2. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We stay onsite. I know several parents stay onsite during the conference and then move to different sites after for vacation time.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think you can go either way. It really depends on what sort of person you are. We stayed in the overflow hotel last time and to be honest, it worked for us because we aren't really very good "joiners" and it was nice to be at FFL and then to be away from FFL for a few hours. No offense meant, just the truth.;) We had a rental car, so it wasn't a big deal to zip back and forth and the hotels were all of 3 min from one another.

4. Cabins Crue

thanks for the honesty:).. what are the overflow hotels?.. we know nothing about FFL.. but would love to go!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, if FFL is at a Disney hotel then there may not be an overflow as there was in 2008. That year the site was smaller and the hotel hosting the event was not able to accommodate everyone.

6. Cabins Crue

I see.. it is at the Marriott in 2010.. and it looks huge.. and awesome.. but a little too expensive for us for 7 nights..

7. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I dont think there will be an overflow hotel, this hotel is huge!! It is big enough to "hide" if you want too.

Will it work to stay at the marriott just the days of the conference? Honestly, the week of the 4th, the rooms will be expensive everywhere, unless you stay pretty far off site and rent a car. Then you have the rental expense.

Maybe you could find a week long rental somewhere though. Good to do it now!!!

We stayed in the overflow hotel in 2007 too. The hotel in 2008 was the coronado and really big. Lots of walking envolved.

We only stay Weds. through Sunday, although this year we are staying until Monday, since Sunday is the 4th.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I know they encourage people to use the FFL room block because the hotel hosting the conference gives them some sort of break on the conference space. If CWD had to pay for renting the conference rooms then the cost of the conference would be passed along to the participants and it would be a lot of money.

We try to spend the conference nights in the conference hotel and then the rest of the vacation elsewhere (if we want to be in a different location or less expensive place, etc). Plus we really enjoy seeing all the other participants everywhere we go - instant conversation starter if you want. And it is cool seeing lots of kids (and adults) in the pool wearing pumps, cgms's, etc.

9. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

My parents have a time share which we are using for our trip, so we knew when planning this that we would not be staying at the convention hotel. Other than sleeping, we will be there, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. Our condo's are just a few minutes away from the Mariott.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I would move from if you want to go for 7 days. Take a trip to the Marriot World Center on Wednesday. Check in and check out on Sunday morning. I would imagine you could find cheaper places to stay in the Orlando area. It all depends on what you are going to be doing. I understand Gooch's situation also.