- advertisement -

friend's daughter diagnosed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NJPHV, Nov 3, 2011.

1. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

So I was sad to see a friend's Facebook post today that said her 6 year old was diagnosed with T1D today. What drives me crazy is the responses she received, especially "she's young, she'll probably outgrow it" "You should buy her one of those pump things" and one of my favorites out of the 17 responses, " oh poor girl..she just got all that Halloween candy!" :eek: I understand that people just don't get it, but I think being a parent of a child with T1D has turned me into a Type 1 Diabetes education crusader ! I forwarded her this website address..but kind of felt like I just wanted to do so much more. I wanted to tell her everything I have learned in the last eight months, and tell her things I wish I had known in the beginning. Sending her here, I am sure she can learn so much....it just got me thinking, do any of you ever feel like rushing to the aid of every person you know who has a child diagnosed? I mean, it changes your life, I'm sure all would agree to that, but I've never felt so strongly about educating people as much as I do now ! Am I weird or what ??:eek:

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Just remember the level of knowledge you had about Type 1 diabetes before your son was dx'd. These folks mean well and are trying to empathize. They just don't know.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, not weird. Why would that be weird? We all remember what it felt like in the beginning - and how isolating it can be. We all want our friends and family to understand something of what life with Type 1 is all about. I hope you posted something on your friend's FB. She might not be able to foil these silly comments, but you can. ;)

4. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

I posted on FB when my son was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago and my best friend, I love her to death, but she just didnt get it. After about a week she was just like "Im glad Lucas is all better now, I know it was rough giving him shots but thats all over and done with". She had NO clue that this is something he would be dealing with until a cure is found. She thought it was just like a virus or something that would go away in a few days. She still doesnt get it. I try to educate her the best I can, but I am obviously still learning a lot myself

5. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

I agree - it really pains me too. Just because there is no outwards signs and other people see what looks like a healthy child - they can't or ..won't believe anything else : ( It really hurts, even family sometimes can't understand.