- advertisement -

Friend's child diagnosed in Spain....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Twinklet, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

A friend just E-Mailed me to tell me her daughter is in the hospital in Spain after being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. They are on vacation there. My friend was told she may have to remain in Spain for a month (even though she'll be discharged from the hospital in a couple of days)!

I'm waiting for her to call me, but does anyone know the standard of care for D in Spain? I don't think she needs to stay in the country for a month after being discharged from the hospital!

I just want her to come home and get good care. Now I need to help her find a good Pedi Endo in Prince William County, VA. Anyone have recommendations?

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Andie,

I'm next door to Prince William in Fairfax County. I probably can't help with a doctor unless she's on Kaiser HMO but let her know she can contact me with any concerns.

~~Becky~~

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I don't see why they'd need to stay there for a month. They just need to learn how to do the testing and shots and what to eat and drink well enough to get thru the airports and on the plane. Then when they get home they need to find a Dr and go thru all their education, b/c most likely there will be enough differences in how the Dr in Spain wants them to do things and the one in NoVA wants them to do it. (and that would be the case from one endo in the US to another endo in the US, IMO).

I'm in VA but not near Prince William so I can't help with recommendations.

4. spring

spring Approved members

Hi! I don't post here often but I thought I would reply since I am from and live in Spain (Madrid) although I finished high school and went to college in the states.

The care I have received both here in Spain and in the US is pretty similar. The only differences I could see in both endos is that the one in the states thought it was pointless to be on a pump so I had to wait until I came back home to get on the minimed pump I am now on. Also, here I get all my supplies for free, as many as I may need, they even gave me the pump for free at the hospital.

Feel free to ask me any questions/concers you may have!

5. Twinklet

Spring, I'm sending you a PM! And Mama C, you're next! Thanks guys!

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

When DD was diagnosed in Germany we were told it would be at least 10 days, maybe 20 before they'd release her from hospital. That's because they have a completely different philosophy around D management over there. They teach you everything you need to know to manage the diabetes up front, while your child is under their supervision.

Our first instinct was to come home as soon as we could, until we started to realize what excellent D training they were offering. The best decision we ever made with respect to managing DD's diabetes was to stay until we had taken their "course" and learned what they had to teach us. We've been able to manage the diabetes ourselves, independent of endos, ever since..

I'm not saying that will be the case in Spain, but it's worth exploring whether it maybe is. If so, then my strong advice if one of the parents is fluent in Spanish is to take what they have to offer if it's affordable.

7. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Fran Cogan(cogen?) is up there.
    they have sattelitte offices in manassas/dc/reston
    She is great. office is huge, have a lot of patients. I had to leave practice, due to traffic and requirements for pump.
    require 6-9 months of basal bolus before they will talk about pump.
    but have to take class but was unable to get coordinator to call me back to get in class.

I've also heard Dr. Link is good up there.

thats all I can think of now. I go south due to unpredictable traffic to north.
    I just sent a email to my pump rep/trainer to see who's up there.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  8. bgallini

Do you come down to Richmond? Who do you see? I am soooo ready for Alex to turn 18 so we can find a new endo.

9. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I see Kari McKray the nurse practitioner with the vcu pediatric subspecialties. We saw Dr Kumar with same group-just don't like him. so we always see Karil-she's great, real positive, upbeat. we agree on everything. and its easy driving to stoney point clinicl-only 1hr drive.

10. bgallini

We usually see Kari too! I agree about Dr Kumar. He was the Dr we saw first, not real helpful. He even yelled at me on the phone once. I do like Kari. She's very friendly and agreeable. But the practice as a whole is hard to work with. Sometimes we have to go downtown (b/c they switch it on us) and they never seem to have all the info from the Stony Pt office (and vice versa). I just always feel they are too busy to deal with us whether it's in the office or getting prescriptions refilled (once I actually called our reg Dr to fill a pres for larger syringes b/c Kari said she'd do it and it never got done.) I really don't think they are incompetent or anything, just very, very busy since they are the only ped endos in the area. We saw Dr Ramirez last time and we will see him this Wed. He was very nice and if this visit goes well, we may stick with him a bit longer depending on where Alex goes to college. Does your dd have a cgms? I've heard that MCV has a trial cgms program but the woman I called hasn't returned calls. I'm going to ask about it on Wed.

11. spring

spring Approved members

Yes. As I was telling Twinklet on the PM, everything I was taught when I was diagnosed at the hospital here in Spain, covered all the topics that I have needed to know sooner or later (carb counting, sick days, sports management, ketones, glucagon use, etc...) they also offered the option of getting on the pump, although back then I wasn't too interested.
    They also gave me the info of the Madrid Diabetes Association, and info on different diabetes summer camps that they have all over the country. They have these "camps", more like retreats/gatherings for adults of all ages too!

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey great to hear. Sounds like they're far ahead of us in terms of diabetes treatment across Europe then. I know they're far ahead of us in Germany and across Scandinavia.

Again, message to the friends in Spain should be - don't rush home until you've carefully considered the possibility that you could be getting superior training in diabetes management there in Spain..

13. Twinklet

UPDATE:

After trying to read through the lines in E-Mail, I finally got to speak to my friend while she was still in Spain. They were not in Barcelona or Madrid, which I understand have good care. They were outside Valencia.

My friend told me on the phone they had her daughter on a 1500 calorie diabetic diet, low carb & high protein with things like sardines for snacks. They refused to tell her what insulins they were giving to her daughter ("Why do you want to know? Are you a doctor?"). When she got back to her hotel she read them to me--NPH and R. :rolleyes:

They discharged her with a few sugar packets and told her to give her daughter ONE if her BG dipped below 60. :eek: My friend had NO IDEA that hypoglycemia could be dangerous. Had no idea that insulin "peaked" or anything like that. Was just told to test 4 times a day, follow a strict diet and inject the prescribed insulin.

Friend's daughter had her birthday (8) while in the hospital and they finally relented and allowed her to have a piece of cake.

Friend told me her daughter was starving but the hospital refused snacks--she was only to eat at 3 mealtimes. Nothing in-between. :mad:

They basically taught my friend nothing and she was terrified to board an internatinal flight by herself--and I don't blame her!

No one showed her how to draw up insulin and she had to figure it out on the plane. It sounds like a trip from hell.

They got off the plane and went straight to Georgetown University Hospital, where she currently is. She is finally getting some GOOD instructions, and I think she's on Lantus and Log now. Thank God.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Glad to hear that they are home and getting good care. What a nightmare! Thanks for letting us all know how things turned out, so often we never know how Threads are resolved.

I guess we should look for her posts soon?;) I'm sure you've told her how to find us.

15. Twinklet

Yes, I did tell them to explore this site! I think they're still a bit overwhelmed, and still in the hospital so it may be a few days. :)

16. bgallini

I'm sorry they've had such a bad experience! I hope they get good education now and get things under control. Keep us up to date on their progress.

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well that was pretty poor treatment. They must be glad to be home.

18. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

1500 calories for a kid newly diagnosed with diabetes? Ugh.

19. spring

spring Approved members

:eek: Wow...Im sorry she received such poor diabetes care! Do you know what hospital in Valencia she was at? Was it at a small village?

I was surprised to hear about the treatment she was given because in my case is was a little the opposite. I was a freshman in college (going to college in East Texas) when I started feeling poorly: going to the bathroom sooo much that my friends even started making jokes all the time about it. I went to a doctor and he diagnosed a UTI, therefore prescribing antibiotics. Instead of feeling better my health continued to decline, so I had to keep changing doctors to only receive diagnoses such as: hypocondriac, depression (they put me on some sort of antidepressant pill), they also said I just had to get used to the college lifestyle...

I wasnt even able to take my finals that semester because I was so sick I had to come back home to Spain. When I got to the Madrid Airport there was an ambulance out waiting for me (with my parents too)...I was rushed to a public hospital in severe DKA. The rest is pretty much what I already posted ...received lots of training and great care!

Anyways, sorry about the long story, Im sorry your friend and her DD had to go through that!!

Sarah (T1D) *^_^*

20. melissabeth

melissabeth Approved members

shoot! I just saw this!

Sorry I didn't see this message sooner! What a nightmare! We're in Barcelona and when Colby was diagnosed, our endo (who worked at Children's Hospital in Boston for many years- 20 minutes from where I grew up- strange coincidence!) told us that the care in Barcelona and Madrid was very good. At one point I asked him if we'd be better off care-wise moving back to Boston, and he said that SINCE we were in Barcelona, no, that the care was the same or better than in the U.S. He did say, however, that the quality of care in Spain (and everywhere, I guess) varied A LOT and that if we lived in a small town away from the city it may have been something to consider.
    Anyhow, those poor people! As if dx isn't stressful enough, being so far from home must have been terrible.