- advertisement -

Friends acting weird-HELP!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Abbie, Dec 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

Hi, i'm Abbie. i'm twelve and was diagnosed about a month ago with type one diabetes, and to carry all my supplies, i have a little backpack. now, my friends are acting all weird with the backpack, even though i explained it to them numerous times. why can't it just be like a purse? they carry purses around and nobody questions that at all! ugh, all i ask for is to PLEASE be treated normally!

2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Hi Abbie, sorry you've been stuck with this especially with the holidays here. There shouldn't be a reason that you and your parents couldn't get you a great purse for your supplies. Have you tried asking for one? Maybe they are feeling overwhelmed by your diagnosis too and just didn't think something like a bag would bother you. As a Mom of a diabetic 10 year old boy, I wouldn't have thought the backpack would be a problem. As the Mom of a nonD teenage girl as well, I can guarantee the back pack would be a problem!

Let your parents know that you would rather carry a purse. I am sure they will want to help you feel as "normal" as possible.

Try to enjoy the holidays! You are still the same kid you always have been. You still like the same foods and activities. You just have to count your carbs now and take the insulin to cover them.

You'll be a whiz at this stuff in no time!

3. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

thanks

thanks for the suggestions! the only problem is the reason i got the backpack is because i don't exactly like purses- my mom suggested them, but when i saw a bunch of them, the were too girly for me. thanks again!:D

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

My daughter carried hers in a smaller all black purse that could be slung across her chest, if tha makes sense? She was in middle school when dx so she didn't have a need yet for a bigger purse.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Something we did when my daughter came home from the hospital was to invite her friends over for a party to teach them about her diabetes all together. They were already aware she was in the hospital and scared. When they came, they played outside for about 1.5 hours just like always. They saw she was still herself...and then we brought them inside for a snack, taught them about carb counting, she gave herself a shot, we answered their questions. It really helped them and her. I'm glad we did it. Since then she's switched to the pump. When I took her and a friend swimming the other night, her friend watched really closely as we reconnected her pump and announced she thinks she's got the system figured out.

I imagine your friends are scared and feel less control in the situation than you do. Whatever you can do to teach them will probably help. The information about diabetes in fiction books (Babysitter's Club, etc.) is extremely frightening.

6. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

thank you for the reply- the party idea seems like fun... maybe i'll try it!:)

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It was good in that it got the information to all of her close friends all at one time, and that they understood. Our fears are often worse than reality. She didn't have to go over the same information over and over again...and her friends were able to answer some for her at times when other kids asked, too!

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

You can buy "Man" bags, that you can sling accross, they're not too girly:D

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My almost 16 year old won't do purses either. She loves her backpack! Be your own person.

11. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

thank you everyone for the suggestions!!!!:D

12. babykat

babykat Approved members

I know just how you feel. If they cant understand that you need this to survive then maybe you should talk to them about how serious diabetes is. Then they might stop giving you a hard time. After all you shouldn't have to change so they wont be embarrassed about you. Frankly if they still want you to change for them, you shouldn't hang around them. Like if you were acting weird because you were low and they got embarrassed and left you!? :eek: I am not saying that would ever happen. And plenty of people carry around backpacks so i really don't get what the matter is. Point is you need what you need and their gonna have to live with that.

13. wille8

wille8 Approved members

i do that to but i am a boy i wood just tell them to ackt like its not there

14. ali4134

ali4134 Approved members

I got diabetes when I was 7 so I know all about how friends can act. To be honest I did lose some friends in middle school because of it when I was about your age. Once I started high school though everyone became a bit more understanding as we were all growing up and people starting being more interested and asking questions instead of being afraid.

Pretty much this is like anything with kids, they think something weird, whether it be diabetes or a birthmark, and they make it a bigger deal than what it is. Stay confident in yourself and know that your family is always there. If you have that down, then time passing is all that has to happen to make things easier.

Feel free to vent though Abbie, no matter how much better things can get, all of us t1's get frustrated with all the crud we have to deal with.