- advertisement -

Friends - a good story

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I just wanted to share how great friends can be.

Walking home from school yesterday, Amanda's friend(age 10) asked her if she was low and told her to test because she was acting weird. :) She was indeed low, 48 (2.7mmol/l) - took some tabs, waited till she felt better and continued home & tested again - 82 (4.2 mmol/l) :)

2. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

What a great friend!

3. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

Wow! That's awesome!! I wish my daughter had some friends like that!
    Thanks for sharing.

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Isn't it nice that friends are there to help her. My DD's best friend's sister and Mom went to a Diabetes Babysitting class so they could have my DD spend the night and babysit for us on occassion.

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

That is wonderful! Thanks for sharing...warmed my heart.

6. Trev

Trev Approved members

Friends are the best.

I had friends growing up saying your moody do a test more times then I can remember. Now my eldest daughter has a best buddy that really watches out for her. She has even reminded her not to eat particular things, to test, and on one occasion reminded her to take her insulin. Friends are gifts!
    Cheers!
    Type 1 myself for 28 yrs
    Raising 5 kids, 2 with Type 1
    Bloggin like a mad man because it's very therapuetic!
    http://www.three2treat.com

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm glad it worked out, but we've had that same sort of thing backfire.

On at least one occasion, a casual friend and classmate (not a best friend) suggested that Maddie must be "low" because she was being quiet. (Maddie had just finished giving a formal presentation from memory to her history class and she was really just enjoying having it done)

Maddie was pissed. I still think she hasn't forgiven the girl. :rolleyes:

So while it's great that your DD was low and was able to treat in time, I think it is a fine line for our kids as they get older.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That is great that Amanda's friend knows enough about d to see that she was acting differently and might be low. That is very low!:eek: Good call on that young lady's part:)

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Gotta love friends!

My DD has a few like this as well.

10. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

That's awesome!!

11. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

That's heartwarming, thanks for sharing :)

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

Im glad Hailey is still young enough (it is a fine line for our kids as they get older) because one of the main causes that will make me ask her to test is if she appears too quiet to me. I know it bugs her sometimes when I ask her to test when she may not prove to be low. But the alternative, not testing but being low, is not attractive either..I think it is wonderful that friends care enough, and know enough to try to help in this way. And I am REALLY glad that Hailey can forgive me when I bug her in this way....

13. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I'm so happy it worked out so well.:)

My DD has (we moved a state away:() a friend like that. Her friend would carry candy when the girls went to the park to play.

14. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Sarah, I understand where you're coming from. Teens can be so sensitive at times.

I was just happy that Amanda's friend was aware enough to realize that her behaviour was out of the ordinary and what the reason may be. This girl is her best friend, lives right next door to us and has observed Amanda and us with her d care. She's seen my dh at Scout camp testing and bolusing. She's been there when I go outside, interrupt their play to test Amanda in the middle of a summer's day. She's been waiting at the door while Amanda had juice and a granola bar to treat a low before going out to play. She's the only friend Amanda has had a sleepover with since dx.

I was impressed that, without any request from us or real "training" she recognised that something was amiss.

Maybe I'm being naive but I always had it in the back of mind that while going to school and teachers change from year to year the bulk of her classmates will be the same and that if they all had just a bit of awareness it would be beneficial. Meaning that a classmate might know to grab juice if Amanda starts "spacing out" in class or while hanging out before or after school. :confused:

15. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

awww!! That's great!!:D

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

First, I just want to say, again, that I think that this is a great story and I'm so glad that Amanda was able, with the help of her friend, to catch it before it became a really scary low. :cwds:

I didn't post to take anything away from that. I suppose I just wanted to share that since many of our kids are very open and public about managing their D at school that even casual friends can feel that it is their place to ... engage in "D" talk. I suspect that the girl who told Maddie that she should check her sugar because she must be low was really just using the last card in the deck to get Maddie's attention.

At the same time, Maddie's best friend ( who's older sister had D) is free to ask Maddie to check her bg if she's acting weird. Maddie ( and I) not only let her, we kind of expect her, to play this role.

Like I said. It's a fine line. And given the volatility of Middle school relationships:rolleyes: the kid who has "permission" to intervene on Monday, may not be so welcome on Tuesday.

17. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Ha ha! Now THAT is so true!! :D

18. joan

joan Approved members

I too think its a great story but I also get Sarah's point. There is nothing my son hates more about having d than his friends telling him to check himself if he is acting weird.

What one day is wonderful can change and I think that with the experiences some of us have we may just see down the road a bit. Not to be critical just to add a different perspective of what has occurred with our children.

19. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Wow! What an amazingly astute friend! Love hearing stories like that. :)