- advertisement -

Friend's 11 year old son just dx, gift ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Mar 12, 2009.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

A friend of mine just called and she's at the hospital with her 11 year old son. He was just dxd with Type 1 yesterday. She's a nurse and they caught it early, which is a blessing. She also said he's being really brave and has already given himself some injections. I definitely want to get a basket or bag of stuff to take to them with some things that would be helpful. My son was 2 when he was dxd so I'm not sure what might be good for an 11 year old. She's been a blessing to me on more than one occassion when Aiden's been sick and I'd love to do what I can to help make this a little easier on her family. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for what would be good to put in this gift for a newly dxd family. I've already told her about the great CWD family:cwds:

Thank you!

2. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I would recommend "Getting a Grip on Diabetes" (a boys eye view of staying on top of diabetes) and "Real Life Parenting of Kids with Diabetes" (written by the mom of the authors of the other book).

I really enjoyed both of these books when my daughter was first dxed--they share a lot of family stories and are very upbeat about not letting diabetes stand in your way.

3. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

That's very sweet of you to do! Reese was bombarded with gifts after his cancer dx, but didn't get anything after his type-1 dx (I think everyone knew there was nothing left to give him!).

My daughter is 10-1/2, and she likes gift cards. Target, or wherever, she likes picking out things for herself.

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

I'm not sure if you're thinking diabetes-related or not.

Those miniature board games (Operation, etc.)
    Playing cards
    sugar-free hard candy
    squishy ball
    mad libs
    Kool Aid Jammers 10 drink packets
    silly putty
    sugar free gum
    yo-yo or other similar item

I'll try to think of more, if this is the type of thing you are thinking about.

5. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

I was thinking mainly d related stuff, but also some fun non d related stuff too. All these suggestions so far sound great, I really appreciate it! I'm going to try to go shopping tomorrow evening so I'll take all these ideas along.

6. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I think a basket of D related items would be a good idea for mom.

I think a basket of non-D related items with maybe the Getting a Grip on Diabetes book would be a good idea for son.

7. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

We have loved this book by the Loy brothers:

"487 Really Cool Tips for Kids With Diabetes:
    http://www.amazon.com/Really-Cool-Tips-Kids-Diabetes/dp/1580401910

Other ideas:

A new calculator
    Set of pens
    Log Book
    A watch
    glucose tabs in various flavors
    bag of smarties or skittles
    carb counting book
    P-Xtra Meter
    Jonas Bros CD (too girly??)
    A list of all famous Type 1 Diabetics

A new backpack to put it all in, rather than a gift bag.

Best wishes to him and his family. Glad it was caught early!

8. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

When Alli was dx'd my friend who is type 1 as well as her son brought over a bunch of d goodies. My favorite is the Calorie King Book. We still use it. It fits so nice in Alli's bag.

9. Rick

Rick Approved members

10. Mom2Meghan

Mom2Meghan Approved members

Everyone has made some great suggestions!

Some that I thought of (or second someone else's post):

Definitely the Calorie King book
    Some good low carb snack items
    A good calculator
    If there is a support group in your area, some info on that
    A medical alert bracelet (CVS has cool jelly ones that can be written on)
    Small notebook or post-its to put in "going out" D bag
    I think that the Jonas Bros CD is a good idea

11. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

My non D son is 11. I think the 11 yo might secretly like the Jonas Brothers (Neal suggested he go with me to the JB movie b/c I like them). I'd find out what snack foods he likes and get some of those with carb counts, including some candy...with sugar! This will let him know that his life isn't over....he just has to count the carbs.

And if you are going for nonD stuff.... a gift card for a video game store would be good.

12. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

When Brittney was diagnosed our neighbor brought over a kids D cookbook.. It was the coolest thing. And her best friend god love her brought her a teddy bear with a bag full of dove chocolates..>;) at that time we didn't give Britt the chocolates..

13. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Crystal Light drink mixes ...are good too... to put in your basket. :) What a thoughtful friends you are...:)

14. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

How about some books for him. My boys really liked the series by Cressida Cowell, the first is How to Train Your Dragon. It's about a viking boy of about 11 who doesn't fit in very well with the viking way of life. They are very funny and have great illustrations. I would highly recommend them.

Along the same line are the Urgum the Axeman books.

There's also the Diary of a Whimpy kid series which he may already have as they are very popular right now.

My boys also love to read Zits and Calvin and Hobbes cartoons as well as Archie comics.

For a longer novel, they both just finished The Mysterious Benedict Society which they really liked.

15. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I ordered that book off ebay & never got it :( I like the watch idea, a gift card to Walmart or Game-Stop if he likes video games or movies. When Joey was dx'ed we bought him the cell phone he'd been asking for. ( I feel alot better knowing I can contact him any time when he's not with me) If he has a cell, a minutes card would always be good. Depending on the plan, they also have Double Minutes for Life cards. We also bought Joey Jeff Dunham DVD's.....Joey think he's really funny and being stuck in the hospital, he really needed something to take his mind off of things. Laughter is the best medicine after all!

16. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I love the books by the Nasmyth Loy family (Real Life Parenting, Getting a Grip, and now 487 Cool Tips) They gave me so much hope for "normality" and acceptance.

The Salter scale is a great idea, but rather pricey. It would certainly be on a list of resources I printed up and gave a newly diagnosed family (along with a link to CWD, ADA, JDRF, Fifty50.com. PumpWearInc., etc.)

Glucose tabs, juice boxes or small cans of soda and other "rescue" items to go in a kit/lunch bag that they can carry with them everywhere.

A "cool" medical alert band. I love the ones from SportKidz (available through Fifty50.com

It's so kind of you to do that for them!
    Eileen

17. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

how about an extra meter he can keep in his back pack
    I like the calorie king book too.

I'd put in stuff you use to treat lows, its always nice to have a bunch around the house

18. PokesforLife

PokesforLife Approved members

Lots of really good ideas on here.......

After months of surfing the boards and listening to everyone talk, my suggestion is,

Have one of your kids burn a CD of favorite music for him
    And put the stuff in it that all the "normal" people think they can't have. I know you said she's a nurse and I'm willing to bet she gets it, but by doing that it will let him also know that he can have it too, so as parties at school come around or friends' parties do he'll feel better knowing he can have anything and not cave to an uneducated adult (parent or teacher) saying NO.

Just my thoughts!!

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members