- advertisement -

Frick, frack, frick

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Jun 10, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia's pump warranty is up on the 29th. Our insurance company won't replace it until a year after that UNLESS something goes wrong with it. So I was hoping AFTER the 29th something little would happen so that we could finally get the Ping. I am SO wanting the Ping to remote bolus esp at night. It will probably also help her feel more comfortable next year when she starts middle school.

Well of course something goes wrong now. The rubber over the buttons ripped the other day and now has come right off one spot. It still works but I'm not sure about the water proof aspect. She never swims with it on but does sometimes play in the sprinkler etc. More importantly she is going to camp in a little over a week and I can't imagine they would be too happy checking in a camper with a pump in such shape.

So I called Animas and spoke to the rep. Nope nothing can be done except to ship out another 2020 and then when something goes wrong with it after the 29th call again. Sigh. I know it doesn't have to be anything major wrong with it to get the Ping after that but I'm still bummed. She's had this one a year with no problems at all. I had the 29th down in my phone and everything. I hate waking her up when I go digging for the darn pump at night.

I told dh I just KNEW this was going to happen.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

THe buttons are sticking, the rubber is pealing up some where.. its not scrolling right.. lots of things can happen, especially right after the warrenty is up. There is nothing that says that something can't go wrong with a replacement pump. Your insurance company wouldn't know you had a replacement. Things happen.. maybe he fell and it now has a crack. ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think our rep would give us a loaner pump to make it through to the 29th so that we would be able to upgrade then. Usually trainers have a 2-3 pumps. I'd ask to see if that was possible.

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Ditto. Can't hurt to give them a call.

5. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

My advice would be get the replacement now. Your insurance company won't know that you got a warrany replacement. Then a few weeks after the warranty is up call pump company to say there is a crack. You get to keep the old (replaced) pump as a backup and insurance kicks in for a new pump. (note: you don't have to send in the old pump for verification of failure)
    Darlene

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Totally agree!! This may actually have turned out to be the best possible thing that could happen. You get a "new" pump just before the warrenty expires, then you get another new pump of your choice after the warrenty exprires and your refurb "breaks." Yu'll have a like new back-up!

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

I have a friend who had the same situation. She was so excited to get the next pump and then when the time came she was told that things had changed and now they only covered pumps every five years instead of four. Her daughter has a minimed pump though and somehow they got the company to extend the warranty for an additional year so there was no way to get the new one.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I would be very careful, of course, about anything that whiffs of insurance fraud. I'd be concerned about prosecution or fines, but I'd be more concerned about losing my insurance over it. :( We had an investigation when we did absolutely nothing wrong, just a snaffu when changing insurance, it all turned out all right but it was miserable during the process, I spent HOURS and HOURS tracking down records and filling out paperwork and my doctors had to wait a long time to get paid. I would not want to go through that again.

Sorry about the bad timing on the pump. :(

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I wasn't planning on doing any such thing. Just hoping when this pump DID die, it would be after the 29th, not before. Now I have to wait for something to go wrong with the next one and that's what I'm upset about.

I spoke to our pump rep. He's new, not the one I've dealt with before. I asked him if anything could be done and he never suggested a loaner. I was kind of hoping for that, but I'm hoping if he could have done that he would have offered to do so.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I was not referring to anything in your post. Some of the well-meaning responses made me feel it might be prudent to just throw our experience in there. Hope you understand my intention was to be helpful.

11. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

another ditto here. YOu can always tell them you are going ona 2 week vacation. Good Luck

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Doesn't Animas still send out vacation loaner pumps? She IS going to camp, and if you have 30 days to return the loaner, that will get you to where you want to be. I know that when Smith's did loaner pumps we had 30 days to return it.

13. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sounds like a great solution.

14. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Vacation loaner pumps from Animas are reconditioned and come packaged with a seal that cannot be broken unless your pump breaks. If the seal is broken, then the pump is yours and you have to send your old pump in. That's really no different then getting the broken pump replaced.

15. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Ugh, that stinks! When we did the vacation loaner with Cozmo we set it all up with her basal rates and everything just in case.

16. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yeah, I totally was suggesting you call up lie that your refurb was broken rather than actually wait for it to break. :eek: I mean if it's out of warrenty then basically you should get a new pump every 4 yrs, as opposed to actually waiting for it to break and be without one for any length of time. But I'd hate for anyone to get in trouble over my advice. Sorry 'bout that. :eek:

Anyway, under the circumstances, I'd go mdi for a few weeks, even at camp, until you can get a new one. Or maybe you can call the endo and ask for a loaner?

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

To be even more clear :eek:, this was the post I was referring to:

My advice would be get the replacement now. Your insurance company won't know that you got a warrany replacement. Then a few weeks after the warranty is up call pump company to say there is a crack. You get to keep the old (replaced) pump as a backup and insurance kicks in for a new pump. (note: you don't have to send in the old pump for verification of failure)
    Darlene

I have no doubt the posting member meant well, I don't even know if following these directions would constitute insurance fraud, but I do know that it certainly might look like insurance fraud and I would avoid that like the plague because it could have very bad consequences, anywhere from a huge hassle to criminal charges or loss of insurance.

Not trying to offend anyone on this thread, folks can use their own judgment but sometimes when folks make suggestions like this it is tongue in cheek or simply well-intentioned and people believe that means this is a legal and proper way to proceed ("don't worry, everybody does it", that sort of thing) and so I wanted to throw out a warning.

Next time I'll just throw it to the moderators and let them warn folks if necessary, I hate that little "report" triangle but I have a hard time reading tone sometimes here and I'm afraid I've offended when I didn't mean to. Honestly, just trying to urge caution. I've had more interaction with insurance companies over the last two years than I'd wish on my worst enemy, it's torture. :(:cwds:

18. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

No offense taken
    I really don't think that getting the pump replaced under warranty now and then going through ins for a new pump later would consitute fraud. My reasoning is that if you went to MDI for a short while, until the warranty was over and then go through ins for the new pump, would you consider this ins fraud. Ultimately the ins company will end up paying for a new pump... now or later does it really make that much difference.
    My suggestion was that and only that, a suggestion.
    There were quite a few good options suggested and up to the op to sort through them and use what they thought would benefit them. Morally or other wise.
    The funny thing is, I am a Canadian, living in a province that has no pump coverage and my private insurance states right in my ins booklet that it does not cover insulin pumps.....so self pay all the way. I wish that I had options.
    Good luck to the op
    Darlene

19. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I would suspect that you have already decided your course of action by now. I want to throw out though that while I completely get wishing the pump would have waited a few weeks to have problems so that the replacement could have been the next level pump, going the extra year on an older model has its advantages. Think of one year from now. You will be able to order the upgraded model. In the meantime, you will have an older model that is only 1 year old.

I cannot begin to tell you the piece of mind I have in going on trips now with a back up pump in my son's supplies. I don't have to mess with loaners. I have little risk of both the current pump and the back up pump dying on the same trip so there is little risk of having to use shots while waiting for the replacement to arrive. In short, it is a good, convenient piece of mind.

I too had to wait until year 5 to get a new pump. In the time between year 4 and year 5 a piece of me kept hoping that the old pump would die but now I am glad it did not. That one year was worth it.

If you don't want to wait an entire year, one suggestion is to use shots right now and report the pump after the 29th. But like I said, I suspect that by now you have made your decision of what to do.

20. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If it is any consolation, the exact same thing happened to us. Finally the replacement pump broke enough that we could get the PING. Once he received it, and tried it for a while, he hardly ever uses the remote to bolus as it is hard to use. The pump is super good, but the remote is convenient only for the parent to do the corrections in the middle of the night.

My son is willing to go on the Dexcom when it is integrated with the pump, so he is waiting with bated breath.