- advertisement -

Fresh picked fruits-carb difference?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by acjsmom, May 25, 2011.

1. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

We went strawberry picking this past weekend and have been enjoying the fruits since then. DD enjoyed several of the strawberries on Saturday, and her numbers stayed high all night. We did bolus her for the strawberries according to the carb book. She also had some fresh picked blueberries and we bolused for those. Tonight, she has some more of the strawberries and blueberries, but I didn't see exactly how many blueberries. I bolused for the strawberries and guessed on the blueberries. I thought she would be low before bedtime, so imagine my surprise when she was 327.:eek:

These strawberries are not any bigger than ones than others we have bought at the grocery store, but they do taste sweeter. Could this be making a difference in the carb count? Has anyone else noticed a difference with fresh picked fruits vs. store bought fresh fruit?

2. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I wouldnt be surprised if they were sweeter! The grocery store stuff is like cardboard! Berry picking is a blast, I just love it. Last year we picked blueberries and I made cheese blintzes- like a blueberry crepe with cream cheese/whipped cream filling- it was soo yummy.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Just curious, did you weigh them or measure them in a cup or count them? I think the best way is to weigh them..It makes sense though that if they are sweeter they would have a higher carb count. I always count berries as one ounce of berries is equal to two carbs.

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I am learning that the riper the fruit the higher GI - that is certainly my observation for bananas. I don't bolus the same when they are first bought as I do when they are a few days old and turning brown. I wonder if it's the same with Strawberries - the store bought ones are never as ripe and sweet as the ones you pick.

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

no we find no difference.
    My thought was that you over eye balled the estimate for carbs of the fruits???

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Some fruits when riper do have a higher GI as pp stated. Also, I find I get a more accurate carb count when weighing vs. measuring in a cup.

It could be too that your child is effected more GI speaking with one fruit vs. the other. We see this with certain vegetables and fruits.