- advertisement -

Freestyle strips - what are we doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, May 22, 2011.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden is getting a lot of meter errors with the PDM using the Freestyle strips. I know they take in blood from the side instead of from the end. Is there a trick to blood collection that she's missing? We've always used OneTouch or Aviva before now.

We ran out of the non-butterfly Freestyle strips, so we are having to use the butterfly ones now, but they are NOT the Freestyle Lite strips. They are the regular ones.

Thanks!

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

make sure the blood drop sits at the side of the "opening" on the test strip and not on top of. See if that makes a difference.

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

Is the PDM "on" and ready when she puts in the test strip, or is she turning it on by inserting the test strip? We were instructed to not use a strip to turn on the PDM for a bg check...we were told that would cause an error.

4. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Is she going to fast, not waiting for the blood drop symbol? Manning goes to fast sometimes and we end up with an error.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I'm curious about the instruction not to use a strip to turn on the PDM--did someone at Omnipod tell you that? Were you getting error messages? We do it all the time--it also is consistent with what is in the user's manual.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

Is she using the new strips with the butterflies on? I found that we get WAY fewer errors with the butterfly strips than with the previous ones.

If she is using the older type strips then I second the advice to let the edge of the black semi-circle sit on the blood bubble. When we would put the middle of the area on the blood we have more errors. Also, don't let the "sucky" part of the strip touch her finger if possible.

If you are using the butterfly strips then the only thing I can think of (from our experience) is that maybe she isn't waiting long enough after putting the strip in.

I hope you get it worked out. Errors make me crazy!

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

We've been turning it on by inserting the test strips since day 1 and we've had maybe a dozen errors out of thousands of strips. Most of the errors were not waiting for the blood drop to show the ready state.

8. Traci

Traci Approved members

Yes, our Omnipod trainer told us to not turn the PDM on using the strip. No, we were not getting errors because we had not started yet.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

Ok. (shrug) just suggesting something we were told. Like you, weve been on Omnipod for a while. I don't pretend to understand WHY they told me this, but it's the way we were taught and the way we've always done it. I could not tell you the last time we had an error, but also like you, they are very, very seldom.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I was also told by customer service at Insulet not to turn the PDM on by inserting the strip. They didn't say why, and I don't recall what I was calling about then. I know that I told Melissa to stop doing it the old way, but of course it was too ingrained by then and she has continued to put the strip in to turn it on, with very few errors with the new strips.

11. PamB

PamB Approved members

We have always just inserted the strip also without turning on the PDM first and have never had any problems with it. The only time we get errors occurs when the strip is not able to get enough blood. Since you are converting from the one touch strips, you should be requiring a lot less blood for these strips than you are used to.

Have you tried a new bottle of strips? I am thinking there was a time we had a bad bottle of strips and ran into similar problems.

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

First, you can put the strips into the PDM to turn it on. I've heard that line from an OmniPod rep, and I've been not following it for 3 years now.

The most common error I have is not filling correctly within the (generous) time limit. That seems to happen when the underside of the strip gets wet with blood. What you want to do it put the strip down so it contacts dry skin, and slide it sideways into the drop.

[​IMG]

If the strip is not touching the skin, the blood will just go underneath the strip and not soak in as well.

Note, the butterfly strips don't have this problem.

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

our technique is to hold the strip perfectly sideways and approach the drop of blood from above, never squishing the drop, just gently touching it. When ds does it himself he keeps the meter in the case and brings his finger up to the strip, coming in from the side again.

It's going to be a bit harder holding the PDM while doing this though. But give it a try - bring the strip to the blood rather than the finger to the strip.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

This ^^ Once active side facing up and the other down towards the blood.

15. Traci

Traci Approved members

I was just trying to help by offering up a suggestion that we were told by our rep. I fully realize that some might turn on the pdm by inserting a test strip and never have an error...just like some might use a site for a week and never have a site issue. It was merely a suggestion that was intended to help.

To the OP: It never crossed my mind that you were referring to the actual process of sucking up the blood by the test strip. Please feel free to ignore my obviously ignorant and unuseful post.

16. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We've found the butterfly strips to be flawless and require almost no blood at all.

If I had more than one error, I'd call Abbott. You may have a bad lot.

17. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Thank you to ALL of you for your posts - you included, Traci! Jayden is doing better with the strips. It's just strange going to the sideways suck-up-don't-scoop method, I guess! Thanks for the drawing, Scott...very nice!

All we can get right now are the Butterfly strips, so those are the ones we're using.