- advertisement -

Freestyle Butterfly test strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Feb 19, 2011.

1. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

It is pretty remarkable how little blood it needs. I thought the previous generation of test strips were fantastic because they required less blood than other strips we had used. Now, these butterfly strips blow away the previous generation. I absolutely love these things! We have never tested these for accuracy.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We have 4 months of the old kind left, so I was really just curious after the Omnipod rep alerted me about the new design. When we do get our first batch we'll do some comparative readings.

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That would be nice. Every now and then we lose a test strip because there's not quite enough.

4. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We do not use the new strips we found that the reading were consistently lower with them. Back in November I called Abbot to see if they would exchange the new strips for the old ones they said they did not have any old ones. last week I called again because we were almost out of what I have stockpiled. and now they are exchanging old style strips for the new ones all you new to do is call them and tell them you use the omnipod. They are only doing it for omnipod users.

5. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I was on the phone with abbott b/c I wanted to ask a question about how long the test strips were good for once opened. Since I was already on the phone with them I figured I would ask about getting some of the old strips. I have tested the new ones to old ones and the new ones to the pdm and to the flash a while back. I didn't see too much of a difference to stop using them. I just got some in today and tested the new ones to the old ones and here's what I got...

With the same blood drop and I wiped the first drop off

Old strip 322
    New strip 315 (let's not focus on these high numbers, k ;)

Old strip 186
    New strip 189

Pretty darn close to me!! I love the new strips, they are so much better! They sent me four hundred for me to switch out, and supposed to send me five hundred more, but I dont want to switch anymore. These numbers once again make me feel comfortable with the new ones!

6. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

They are not only doing this for Omnipod users only. We are still chugging along on Cozmo pump, and they switched out a few for us...and told us to find a place that still has the old style.:rolleyes:(Ya, Like I have time to run all over God's creation while raising two boys, working, trying to be a wife, and trying to manage D a little bit):rolleyes: They told me "corporate office" would be contacting me and switching out the rest of our new strips....its been a month now...im still waiting on that call.:mad:

7. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Yep, this is the story we got too! Supposedly, it has been "escalated". Whatever that means. The guy did overnight us 100 old strips to get us by for awhile. We are using his old meter at home and manually putting the bg in his Omnipod PDM. Ticks me off that some people get a quick fix and some do not. Just depends on who is answering the phone, I guess!

8. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

In addition to needing much less blood (love that part), you no longer need to code the meter (all strips are code 16), and they are claimed to be more accurate bc they are not affected by certain sugars which cause interference with other strips (which could explain some of the lower results people see).

http://www.abbott.com/global/url/pressRelease/en_US/Press_Release_0862.htm

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

I was unaware that acetaminophen and aspirin affected BG testing - not that we use it very often.

10. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Hmmm, We mostly avoid sugar alcohols, but Chris loves sugarless gum. So, I'm going to have to see whether that explains the difference.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

THAT alone seems a good reason to use the new strips. I'd say half the time when our CGM catches bad BG readings, it's because the code was not updated.

12. tifales

tifales Approved members

I only realized that there was even the possibility of a problem with the new strips when I was at the endo's office and we did the usual comparison of the hemacrit with my PDM. We do the test at the same time -- wipe off the first drop of blood, then both use the next. In the past my PDM has always been within a few points of the hemacrit; this time (with the new strips) it was about 35 or 40 points lower. We all decided just to keep an eye on it. I will be interested to compare my next A1c with my PDM average since the whole time will be on the new strips.
    Thanks so much to everyone for your feedback -- it's so helpful!

Lesley
    T1, dxd 2001, Omnipod/Navigator
    Mom to Amalia (3 yrs), dxd 2010, Minimed Revel