- advertisement -

Freestyle Butterfly test strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I was reading the thread about the new butterfly test strips and whether they are accurate or not. If you've used them in the Omnipod PDM what is your experience?

Is there an advantage to the new strips?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

You can search me and look at my posts - I have tested them fairly extensively twice now and am confident that they work fine on our PDM. The last test used Low/Normal/High test solutions.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=61921

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?p=666188

I can't say for sure but I believe that the strips are being submitted to the FDA "as is" for equivalency (based on several statements from both parties) and I believe that both parties feel they are equivalent and expect FDA approval.

I'm not sure what that will mean when and if they are approved as currently manufactured for those that feel they don't work.

We just received 1300 and are using them now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I believe some people have reported that they read consistently lower - like 40 points lower. Someone had a poor a1c they attributed to using the strips without realizing they weren't meant for the device. Whether that was the cozmonitor or the pod I don't know.

I'm in the same boat as I MUST use them to calibrate his Navigator. I cannot use another meter and enter the number - his Nav is a bg meter that only takes those strips. Abbott is very good about sending me a box a month that I trade with them for the new strips. I haven't tried the new strips in the Nav but others have and don't see a difference.

4. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

I have compared results bt old strip and new strip in the PDM and new strips in the PDM compared to new strips in the lite meter. I have not noted a material difference. There is the occasional result that raises an eyebrow, but I find it is no more frequent an occurrence than comparing other strips and meters which also occasionally come up with an unusual variance.

5. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

We have been using the new strips for a while now and have seen no problems. I have on occasion checked the same blood drop in both the PDM and a Freestyle Flash meter and there has been at most a 2 point difference. I am confident that the new strips (regular NOT lite) work fine with the PDM

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

FWIW--When I was talking to an Omnipod rep about a problem with our PDM, the rep asked if I was using the new Freestyle strips and said that we should not because they were not yet approved (he said that the "second step" of the process was complete, whatever that means) and he said that there might be some "calibration" required for the new strips.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Thanks for the replies. I guess we'll do some side by side testing at first to see how our readings compare.

I heard about them for the first time when on the phone with omnipod to troubleshoot a PDM error (unrelated to test strips). For some reason the rep asked me if our test strips had a butterfly and when I told him No, he said that's good because they are not approved yet.

Is there any advantage to the new design?

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I haven't used them yet, but I think the little black protrusions on each end of the strip are supposed to make it easier to get a small droplet. I think once we make the switch, it will help us because even though the strip requires less blood than the Accu-chek ones we were using, I've sometimes had trouble with smaller droplets.

9. khannen

khannen Approved members

The new strips use a smaller blood drop. I tested them in my omnipod and consistently got results that were well outside of the accepted 20% margin of error. Hmmm... I know I've posted before.. perhaps Novemberish? Can't search right now. Many haven't seen a difference and many have seen a big difference. I have no idea why it's not consistent across the board. *chuckle* I won't use the new strips in the pdm as every time I have the result is way off from 2 or 3 other meters I can compare to.

10. swellman

Yes, they require a ton less blood.

11. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

We aren't seeing any problems with the new strips. Love the less blood...its really a small amount. Did check my non-D son with the butterflies in the PDM and he was 103 so I don't think it could be that far off. One rep I spoke with at Insulet basically told me that they can't recommend that we use the strips b/c they aren't FDA approved but that it is approved for the meter inside the PDM already so they are just awaiting approval which they expect. Currently they are the only strips our pharmacy is receiving.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Maybe that's the problem? Just curious, when people get bad readings, could it be when only a tiny blood drop is used so maybe it's more susceptible to contamination or interstitial fluid?

If we find the butterfy's are not accurate in the PDM, have they proven to be accurate in another kind of meter?

13. swellman

Personally, I don't think there is any problem. I can't remember anyone that claimed to have a problem report side by side, meter to meter and strip to strip comparisons. I've heard a lot of complaints under many different conditions and with several assumptions but, as far as I'm concerned, unless you have old strips and new strips with two different meters (one being the PDM) compared with the same sample (either a calibration solution or a finger stick) within 5 minutes then the results are invalid.

I'm not going to go back and search but I remember, for what that's worth, people claiming to:

• Compare new strips to the endo several (40ish iirc) minutes later - this is a completely invalid comparison.
    • Compare the new strips to a CGM reading - sorry, but I believe ANY CGM to be secondary to ANY strips.
    • Compare new strips to a completely different meter. This is in no way invalid, but unless control solutions are used then the assumption that one meter is more correct than the other is invalid.
    There were others to be sure but I haven't seen a compelling argument as of yet that the new strips are questionable. That is not to say that there aren't issues but no one has made a reasonable argument yet to convince me that they have a real issue.

I will say it again, perhaps I'm going to be proven wrong, but I suspect that what is being submitted to the FDA for approval is the exact same strips that people say don't work and when the FDA approves them (or not, I admit is a possibility but doubt that Insulet would apply unless they knew for sure it would meet equivalency) then there will be an entirely new conundrum to address.

14. swellman

As a follow up, have you not yet run into the same situation that everyone else is in - meaning that Abbott used the same NDC number for both "old" and "new" products? Have you not yet received "New" strips?

15. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We had issues with the strips and off readings with comparisons to blood draws and other meters and different brands of strips......but we are not using Omnipod...

Hope you have better luck than we are:rolleyes:

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think some of the people reporting the most problems with them haven't responded to your thread. I suggest you do a search on it but here is a thread, for example, with some reporting issues:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=58570

A local diabetes discussion board I belong to on Yahoo groups, there were some posts along a similar line of people reporting the strips being around 40 points too low compared to either other strips, or that same strip in the regular meter that is made for it.

I would assume, however, that abbott did intend to replace the classic version with this version for all the devices that use it (the Navigator, Pod, maybe the cozmonitor). Some have speculated that the hold up with the navigator release could be tied to the strip issue.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I did test the two strips side-by-side, same meter, same drop of blood and got readings within 1 pt ... I think it was 78 and 77. But obviously, just one sample...

18. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

After reading the earlier posts I decided just to trade out the new strips until Abbott and Insulet sort this out. I assume the strips are similar or they wouldn't even work in the same meter. But our outcomes have been pretty good with the old strips. I'm not sure any of us can tell by our home trials if they are accurate or not. I've even thought of getting a Wavesense meter to calibrate at home.

I am just a former Navigator user, so I don't trust Abbott very much.

19. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Have been using the butterfly strips for almost 6 months now with no problems. Did a side-by-side comparison when this issue first surfaced with no appreciable difference in readings and decided to go with it. The FDA approval to use it in the OmniPod is really just a formality; the strips wouldn't have made it onto the market until they worked. My 8 year-old wouldn't go back to the old strips at this point because these take so much less blood.

20. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We used the new strips Aug-Dec. (loved them) when we got a A1c that didn't match with our meter average. We have stopped using them, and miss them dearly. Going for another A1c next month, we will see what that is and go from there.

I really want to go back to them, I think I may get a few containers and do some side by side testing to see what I get.