- advertisement -

Freestyle and UHC

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by stevecu, Nov 9, 2010.

1. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Anyone else notice Freestyle Lite test strips moving to tier 3 on United Healthcare? That's $90 / month for us.

I guess One Touch gets another chance.:mad:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just know that our new carrier is refusing to fill the script as written and for two months has covered only 200 when the prescription is written for 300. And I'm still fighting it.
    ( we have Cigna, btw)

3. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

For us, Cigna is the other option. But Novolog and Humalog are both tier 2. They have basically no tier 1 insulin. I find that even more outrageous than the tier 3 epi-pen and glucagon ($90 each).

4. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

I have UHC, also. Have you tried the FreeStyle discount program? It significantly reduced the cost of the strips for us to something like $30/month and perhaps less.

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I called twice this morning. First time got a real hag and hung up. I asked about the "Promise" program which they seem to advertise heavily but I always ignored since we've been getting them for $15 a month. I was told that program is only for "kids" 18 and older. Didn't make much sense to me, but that's what they said.

I found it very interesting that when you call, the automated attendant leads off with "If you're testing supplies are covered through a United Healthcare plan, please press one now. Otherwise, please press two." But the rep on the line was completely unaware of the issue.

I suspect this is a BIG problem for Abbott and they may work to fix it. The freestyle lite and now the new strips are both great. But, how many diabetics are going to be willing or able to pay almost quadruple the cost of one touch?

The reallity for us is, we have a small horde of freestyle strips and can get one more 3 month refill this year. So we can hold out for a good while. Hopefully something will change in the meantime.

Is there another program besides "Promise"?

6. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We get 800 for a 90 day supply of One Touch strips, over $200. crazy. UHC is my health insurance; Caremark for prescriptions.

7. Diana

Diana Approved members

We get 400 a month. It's only $5 if we get One Touch which we absolutely despise or roughly $200 if we go with any other brand. I've done One Touch all year, but this month I was so frustrated that I actually paid the $200. I did use AccuChek's assistance program though which brought the price down to a more manageable $150 :rolleyes:

It is the same with insulin for us - $5 for Novolog or Humalog or $275 for Apidra (which is what we use). I won't compromise on the insulin.

I'm praying for new insurance next year.

8. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have UHC but must be a different carrier. We pay 20% regardless of the tier. We can get any brand test strips, but must pay the 20%, which is like $60 per month for 300 usually after UHC discounts it. I have no idea how all of that works! We did have to fight to get the 300 strips per month, but it turns out that all the pharmacy had to do was call the Medco help desk and ask them how to put it thru and it was all fine. Same with insulin, we just pay the 20% regardless of which one . . .

9. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Definitely look into the freestyle promise program. Right now we have aetna, but Jan changing to umr, a united health care company. Without the freestyle program we would have to pay 40 for 300 strips, with it we pay only 15. Now I'm worried how much we'll have to pay with the new insurance!! Anybody know how approval is for cgm with united healthcare??

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

CGM approval with United Healthcare has been great for us. Never turned down. I was told United covered them before anybody else.

11. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Thanks!! Good to hear that!!

12. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Same here. No problem. You can see in my signature how long we've had it. They also did not balk at providing a guardian in addition to the paradigm.

13. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

How about pumps?, are they fast to approve, we are not pumping yet but I'm thinking about the future.:cwds:

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

They have been for us.

15. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

The freestyle promise program has been great for us. We have Cigna, and without the program we were paying $50 for a month supply. We were signed up quickly over the phone, and the promise card arrived within 2 weeks. Now we only have to pay $15 for the month of strips (300). You just present the card like you would an insurance card at the pharmacy.

If you use a mail order program, you pay up front, and then send abbott the receipt and you receive the rebate in the mail, along with the form to fill out for the next month. Its really been a life saver.

I had a great rep who helped me apply over the phone, so your experience may vary based on the luck of the draw. He was bending over backwards to get us additional assistance with D supplies, such as lancets, meters, and reduction of the $15 dollar copay. I didn't qualify, but it sounds like it would be a good deal for those of us who are struggling to make ends meet.

16. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

Just thought I would throw an update on this thread...Just got off the phone, the program IS still in effect, as of next month we will be paying $15 per box instead of $35 on UHC...Yay!!

17. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Last time I checked promise was only for 18 and older.

18. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

No, my daughter uses the promise program and she's 13. I do remember when I tried to sign her up online, I wasn't able. When I entered her birthdate, it said that you must be 18. But that was just to sign up online. I called the customer service number and they were able to give me her benefit number over the phone on the same day.

19. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

My DD also uses the program and she's 4.

We use mail order pharmacy and the rebate check is address to my DD.

20. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We have UHC since Loren was DX, They approved her CGMs in less then 24hrs, They approved her pump in less the 24hrs (We did the cgms 5months before the pump). We get 300 test strips a months for 10.00 (one touch) and we get 2 vials of Apidra insulin a month for 10.00. We get 3 glucagon kits for 25.00

They stopped covering Novolog for us and wanted us to switch to humalog. We said no. We decided to try Apidra and fell in love with it. We have always used one touch with a multi clix poker.