- advertisement -

Free Swine Flu vaccines offered by school district...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by RosemaryCinNJ, Sep 11, 2009.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I know! I wish I knew. which is the safe option that's a horrible question.

Your ob wants it - but does she normally say flu shot for everyone?

2. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

I'm just going to tell you all what Morgan's pediatrician told me yesterday. He said swine flu is hitting pregnant women and those with respiratory issues hardest. He said that there is no concern about this vaccine being rushed because it is basically made exactly like the regular flu vaccine. It's just like every year the reg. flu vaccine covers more and more flu viruses because they change the vaccine. And, about the thimerasol issue, he said you get more mercury eating a can of tuna than from the flu shot. This dr. has been Morgan's pedi. since Morgan was born. I trust him with my most precious posession. Morgan will be getting the swine flu vaccine if we can get it.

3. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Thank you Holly. I am glad to hear a more detailed explanation from a doctor's perspective, other than "you need to get it".

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

It will be possible to get the h1n1 vaccine without the Thimerosal in it. It's very possible, IMO, that the vaccines being given at schools, though, might have the Thimerosal in it.

This is from the cdc website:
    http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/statelocal/qa.htm

"Q. How much Thimerosal-free vaccine will be available?
    A. It is anticipated that enough thimerosal-free vaccine in pre-loaded syringes will be available for young children and pregnant women."

5. bgallini

I don't think the vaccine has thalidamide in it. I think she was just using that as an example of a drug that was thought to be safe and wasn't.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Tom will get both - he's already been sporting a deep cough the last couple of weeks and fall is the worst time for his respiratory system (plus the right lung has never gotten back to 100%).

If I can get Jenn to do it, she will have both as well (college student). She ALWAYS gets something respiratory going as soon as soccer season ends, and she's in no position to lose class time at this point.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Thank you Holly for the detailed explanation.

8. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

there is also aluminum & formaldehyde in the shots and the fact that they are giving the pharmaceutical companies an out so that they can produce it really, really quickly is scary. i've been in pharmaceuaticals my whole career and i know how the process goes. you don't want to skip corners with something like this.

a vaccine i read about actually caused cancer and was proven. it was grown in monkey cells which harbored a virus that caused the cancer and of course it's something that is too late once we learn about it. we don't know what is happening when we grow all these vaccines in these avian and other animal cells. they harbor viruses we don't know about yet.

I am not against vaccines just wish doctors would give patients the chance to make an educated decision, not one based on fear mongering and scare tactics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://drtenpenny.com/Documents/the%...-- short.pdf

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

No, no thalidamide in it....just referring to the moms who were told it was safe to take in the 60s and low and behold, it really screwed up the babies into adulthood.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

pregnant women are the first on the list:
    he committee recommended that vaccination efforts initially focus on 5 target groups: vaccination for pregnant women, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age, healthcare and emergency medical services personnel, persons between the ages of 6 months through 24 years, and people ages 25 through 64 years who are at higher risk for novel H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems.

something else I just notice that I had never paid attention to before - I cannot use thimerisol in contact lens products but I never thought to ask about it in the flu shots...

11. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Connor will get both vaccines. One interesting thing is that our endo said you have to space the regular flu and the H1N1 flu shot apart by one month. The regular flu shot will be available here at the end of September or beginning of October. The H1N1 flu shot will be available at the end of October. So, if Connor gets the regular flu shot at the beginning of October, he wouldn't be able to get the H1N1 shot until the beginning of November. So there's the problem.

12. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Just for the record, I think that's totally wrong. Nothing that is injected to someone's body should be required!! It should be a personal decision!

We're not getting the swine flu vaccine, for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. We've had trouble with the regular flu vaccine as well - getting sick from the shot. So we're aren't getting any.

It's something I struggle with every year because our endo is very pro-flu shots. I don't want to be a bad parent, but I just am unsure about them! And if there is a different strain of flu it doesn't protect you anyway.

13. bgallini

The seasonal (regular) flu shot is available now...at least here in VA at pharmacies. I got the shot today. (another woman there said her dr's office didn't have it yet).

14. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Our pedi's office was pushing flu vax on us back in mid-August, so they definitely had them back then!

15. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I think it's available if you want to pay out of pocket at Walgreens or other pharmacies here. If I want to go through our GP or endo, we have to wait until they have it available. Multiply the cost times 3/4 of us in our family who are at risk - too much to pay out of pocket. We'll wait. It probably wouldn't be a be deal for most of you. We wait until it's cheaper. I should have clarified that in my earlier message though, so thanks for the heads-up.

16. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I think it's totally appropriate for health care workers to be required to get the vaccine, but I would also get it regardless. The flu is no joke, and I'm not taking my chances. I see people on ventilators half-dead (or full-dead) from it every season. I don't want that being me, and nor do I want it being anyone else because of me opting not to get the flu vaccine.

Health care professionals are long required to have various vaccinations. I had to prove immunity to everything from ruebella to varicella before starting nursing school.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm a student teacher working with 140 7th graders and I got vaccinated against seasonal flu and pneumonia in August; unless we find out something awful about the H1N1 flu vaccine, I'll be getting that shot as soon as I can after my endo office gives me a call, which the endo said will probably be in mid to late October.

18. bgallini

I guess it depends on your insurance. Ours pays 100% of it at certain (many) pharmacies but I don't think they'd pay 100% at the Dr office.