- advertisement -

Free Swine Flu vaccines offered by school district...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by RosemaryCinNJ, Sep 11, 2009.

1. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I live in a big district..many schools, students...Yesterday my 9 yr old came home with a note that the school district will be offering free swine flu vaccines for parents who request it and sign a release..They expect vaccines mid Oct.
    This would only apply to my 9 yr old and my 17 year old sons in school..Is anyone getting this vaccine when it becomes available for your D kid or non D child (ren)??

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

our endo insists we get this when it becomes available. Our county is vaccinating school children first. Yes, I do believe our whole family will get the vaccine.

3. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Our military allergist/immunologist recommends both the swine flu and regular flu vaccine for both of our kids: Zach because he is D and in the high risk age group and Tyler because he's a college student. He is not recommending the swine flu vaccine for my wife and I because we are past the high risk age group. However, my wife comes into contact with a lot newborns and he changed his mind and said anyone who is a care provider for babies and little bitty kids should probably get the swine flu vaccine. It is SOP that we all get the regular flu shot because of Zach's D.

Mid Oct to get the swine flu vaccine into a big school district seems optimistic. It'll be interesting to see how much of it actually gets produced in time to do any good and who'll be getting it first.

4. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We will absolutley NOT be getting it.

5. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

i would have to think real hard on that before saying yes. my inlaws will probably get it for their kids because they have already had it run through their house. we usually all get the regular flu vaccine because Kat gets it. but i dont know....about the H1N1 vacc, my gutt just says no and i have to go with that. :)

6. madde

madde Approved members

That's how I feel.

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

From what I read, I think many school districts will offer it for free. I will get the shot for my boys...well, Alex will have to get it on his own at school but he says he will. And I'll probably take Neal to the pharmacy or somewhere where I can be with him. He hates shots and I have to say, I had a bad shot experience in school when I was probably 7 or 8 and don't want him to copy me (I got one shot and went back to sit down and fainted b/c I was going to need a 2nd shot.) (Oh, It wasn't the school's fault....just me.)

8. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Talking to our doctor this morning, I was given the impression, that to begin with, the vaccine would only be available from your health care professional, only for people within the 'high risk' age range, and only those that are considered to be 'high risk' patients. Of course... D qualifies.

She also told us that she would be surprised if it wasn't December or later before enough doses had been produced to start general vaccinations. She said she had just attended a meeting with our states health department, and they had said that they had expected to receive 500,000 doses in mid-October, but that number might be significantly reduced.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I haven't made up my mind about the swine vac. yet. The regular flu one they will be getting, as they do every year.. something about this new one bothers me.. It is made the same way the season flu vac is made, but it does have more thermisol in it.. its been tested (not nearly as much as other vacs are tested before our kids get them) and those that have had the vac aren't having any problems.. A friend of mine is a school teacher, he said that his school nurse is recommending everyone get it, especially those that are high risk, if they don't its POSSIBLE to get both the season flu and the swine flu at the same time, she said that your body will not be able to deal with that.. Honestly, I really don't know what to do.. Kaylee has an endo appointment at the end of this month, I"m going to talk to the endo about it more. My kids do get all the 'regular' vaccinations, but I limit what they can get each time.. But there is something in my gut telling me NOT to give Kaylee and Jaylin this one.. and that really bothers me.

10. RosemaryCinNJ

Amanda goes to the endo on the 22nd and I will see what he says..and of course read more about this Thermosol you mention..Thank you all for your replies.
    Amanda will too get the reg flu shot of course as she does every year. And my boys too.

11. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Completely undecided. I'll ask Max's endo in a couple weeks.

I hate to say it, but I'm more concerned with ME getting it right now. Being 20 weeks pregnant, they really want me to get it, but what the heck is it going to do to our unborn baby???? Thalidamide, anyone??? They told pregnant woman in the 60's that it was safe to take for morning sickness, and look what happened. I just don't trust all the additives and not at all knowing what it will do 5, 10 years down the road.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I agree..at this point you're at greater risk than max...keep that bambino safe and cozy!

13. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

And that's the big "??????" am I keeping the baby safe by getting the vaccine or by NOT getting it and not worrying about any potential side effects in the baby's future....

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes. My kids will receive both vaccinations.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yes, this would worry me as well.. adding all those additives to your body.. yikes.. Thats a really hard decision..

16. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I really don't know what to do about the swine flu vaccine. :confused: I've read here about the concerns some of you have about it, and they make sense, but then again, I don't know what I would do if he didn't get the shot and something went terribly wrong. Well, if something went wrong due to a decision either way. I could call the endo, but I'm sure they will just tell us he needs to get it. It's really up in the air for me.

I'm waiting for the Health Department to get the regular flu vaccine in, because it will only cost me $12 there as opposed to $25 anywhere else.

17. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Well probably all get both flu shots. We did regular flu last year and will again this year.

We had schools in the neighborhood close last year due to h1n1 and that just brought everyone out to the playground and library together anyway, so it's not like the sickies stayed home. :rolleyes:

18. RosemaryCinNJ

I agree with you for not wanting to get it..(the swine flu vaccine) oh jees is Thalidamide in it too?? I didnt know that!! 20 weeks awwwww..I cannot wait to hear the news when this little baby is born! Yeahhhhh!!!

19. Tena

Tena Approved members

Went to a pump class today and both the CDE and the pump rep insisted that Emily needs both Flu vaccines. I do know that at the school where I work (1st and 2nd Grade), we have already had several confirmed cases of the swine flu.

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm required to get both at work.