- advertisement -

Free style navigator.. opinions on it!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cabins Crue, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

My son has the minimed pump.. but his doctor is recommending the navigator..

thoughts?.. we would just like to get one.. he has had some terrible lows..

thanks for the input

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Can you tell us why his doctor is recommending the Navigator?

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

We've been using the Navigator about a year now. We love it. The main reason we got it was because of its accuracy with lows. If you calibrate when your son is stable and at a good BG, like 90-110 or so, it will be accurate within a few points at the low range. It really gives us peace of mind -- especially at night.

The range is incredible too -- we can read Brendan's BG on the receiver from anywhere in the house, which is great while he's showering or sleeping or playing upstairs. I feel much safer while he's at school too.

It's easy to use and if you take care when calibrating it, you'll get great results. We had a few minor issues early on, but really it's been very smooth for the most part.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We have been using it for 9 months and we are happy with it. The key is definitely scheduling the calibrations carefully or not even trying if its not a good number.

The range is awesome for us too - it lays on our pillow while she sleeps at night and we can turn over and get a number.

The transmitter is big - no doubt about that. But we make it work with my 4-year-old.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Very very happy with it. Been using 24/7 since March. Carson's A1C went from 7.6 to 6.5 after 6 months of use. He still has mild lows but nothing severe. Excellent accuracy and range. I should say excellent accuracy if you're under 180, it's not super accurate when you go over 200 or so.

Is your MM CGMS not accurate?

6. Cabins Crue

the doctor recommended it for all the reasons stated here.. and because the transmitter can sit in my room at night.. I can just look at it.. instead of getting up and going to his room.. the distance between him and the transmitter.. he can be outside playing and it will still send his BS to the transmitter.. on the basketball court or football field.. I can be watching his transmitter for lows.. and he does not have to worry about it.. She says it is almost painless to put in.. that is why she recommended it.

Thanks for all the input

7. Nancy in VA

Just a little clarification so you understand when you talk to reps, etc.

The sensor goes under his skin. Not big at all
    The transmitter attaches to that and he wear is. Its big
    The RECEIVER is what displays the numbers. That's what you can hold on to and get readings.

I don't get them if she plays outside but do when she's basically anywhere in the house. Nice when she's napping and I want to know how she's doing while my butt is parked on the couch! :)

The few times she's gonna be too far away from us, I have a 2nd pouch I slide onto the back of her pump pouch belt and I put it in there and she comes running when it beeps. It has caught quite a number of lows and highs at times I would have never checked

8. Cabins Crue

my bad.. the receiver.. is what sits in my room.. etc.. etc..

I have never had a cgms.. so I do not know the lingo:)

9. Nancy in VA

No problem - I just wanted to make sure you knew the difference. It took me a while to understand and it helps to understand what the reps are saying to you if you know the difference.

10. hawkeyegirl

They don't currently have a CGM.

How does your son feel about carrying an extra piece of equipment? It is nice to have it all in one. MM is coming out with a parent monitor soon that can sit on your nightstand. It will display BG reading, alarm when high or low, and also notify you of other pump alarms. Here's a link to a picture of it.

The other advantage of integration is having all of your pump information in your reports. (Boluses, temp basals, pump settings/alarms) Very, very helpful and convenient.

The other thing main thing to consider is the 10 hour (Navigator) vs. 2 hour (MM) warm up period. Also, you can use any meter to calibrate the MM, but have to use the integrated meter for Nav.

I would read the CGM forum. There are a lot of threads on there about the various systems. I have never regretted our choice of MM. It is very accurate and reliable.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  11. Nancy in VA

For me, integration of the numbers on the pump is actually a downside. I don't even have to take Emma's pump out to bolus, so I definitely don't want to have to take it out to check the numbers. I would like the numbers in the same place, but we put markers in for food, treatment of lows, and insulin, so we have those to compare the ups and downs.

Navigator is supposedly coming out with a 2hour startup but who knows when. But, the reason its a 10-hour startup is that those hours are not accurate. Most reviews you read of ALL CGMs systems (including MM and Dexcom) are that the first 8-10 hours, even if you get numbers, aren't that accurate because the sensor is still settling in. So, Abbott just doesn't allow the numbers to display

I don't mind using the built in meter for those calibrations - its only 5 over a 5 day period total. Sometimes I use it for just plain fingersticks if its reading a little off to try and "steer" it back to accuracy - but its accurate. But, the quality of the Freestyle strips can definitely make a difference. A crappy batch of strips will read off 30-40 points from our OneTouch that we use for all boluses and confirming checks - so we just set the alarms accordingly - but its annoying.

12. hawkeyegirl

We've actually found that if we do a couple of calibrations right away and then another in an hour or so, we get similar accuracy to the remainder of the sensor life. It was only when we calibrated, waited 6 hours, and waited 12 hours to calibrate that we found the first day to be less accurate. Which makes sense! The more (good) calibrations the sensor has to work with, the more accurate it is. When you "front load" a few of them, it has enough info to be accurate. The other thing we generally do is insert the new sensor a bit before we turn the old one off. It gives the new one time to settle in while you have the old one still running.

I'm digressing now, however. That's all kind of "Advanced MM CGM." ;)

13. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We used the Navigator for several months, but switched to the Dexcom due to an adhesive allergy. The range of the Navigator transmitter is fantastic, about 15 feet, sometimes farther. The accuracy is also very good. The transmitter is rather bulky and, in our experience, falls off easily, I think most people have to reinforce it with extra tape or adhesive.
    You will find a ton of information in the CGM section with comparisons and descriptions, and yes problems, you can get with any of the units.
    Carol, (ecs1516) did a head to head comparison of the Dexcom and Navigator in her two boys April or May and posted her findings. She switched to the Dexcom, but recently had to change one of her sons back to the Navigator due to skin problems.
    Generally, all of the CGM units are first generation products and have their strengths and weaknesses. Any of them can help you improve D management.

Chuck

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm curious as to why you aren't looking into the MM cgms while its intergrated? Kaylee uses MM and uses the intergrated cgms for 2 years, pumping for over 3.5 years. I find the Minilink incredibly accurate, if its calibrated right you'll get accurate numbers. Any one of the cgms are behind time wise, because they use intersitial fluid, not blood. The ONE downfall from having it intergrated is that I do have to take her pump out to check her numbers, its not a big deal, and both Kaylee and I are use to it.. what I'd love is something for carrides. We pay out of pocket for the minilink, because insurance won't cover it until she is 7 (in february). When she turns 7 I am going to order a guardian through insurance. This way, her graph will be displayed on her, and I'll have the extra piece, the reciever that I can keep with me, for car trips, outtings.. for times that she'll be near me, but I won't have to bother her. Having the ability to see her numbers in two hours after start up is huge to me.. waiting 10 hours just wouldn't work. Kaylee wears a sensor 24/7.. missing 10 hours is a huge deal.. I don't know if the navigator is still big or if they've come out with a smaller one, but last I knew it was fairly big, not sticking out big, but, long I guess.. on a little body, that would be hard to find unused spots..

Also, MM is coming out with a mycentry unit.. its a parent unit, so you can keep it in your room at night.. its not exactly what I was hoping for.. I was hoping for a unit that I could take with me.. but I guess it'll be more of a unit for night time.. it'll have all the important stuff on it, battery and insulin level, current bg, trends, and loud alarms.. Its waiting for FDA approval which could come at any time.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would just say if your son is having lows to get some CGM. Just whatever one works with his skin. We have used both Navigator and Dexcom and my younger son started having skin problems with the Dexcom sensor.

My older one has no problems with the Dexcom.

I have to use emla cream for my son with the Navigator.

16. Cabins Crue

what is intergrated for MM and what is the gaurdian? so confused now?

Please explain

17. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

A pharmacy assistant suggested a light (very light) dusting of cornflour before we put the sensor on to stop irritation. Obviously not near where the probe goes. It works a treat.

We have a Navigator and love it!

18. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I would like to add that all of the CGM systems are accurate enough. In daily living you won't really notice the reported differences between the units, and all of them will be inaccurate at times. You should make your decision based on the other features. If pump integration is important get the MiniMed. If transmitter distance is the issue, get the Navigator. If sensor size, or cost is the issue, get the Dexcom. There really isn't one that is clearly better for everyone.

Chuck

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The MM minilink is intergrated, the MM guardian is NOT intergrated, its the SAME system, but the minilink the transmitter talks to your pump (the receiver), reads right to it, the guardian is for those that either don't pump or use a different pump than MM, its a stand alone unit, it has the sensor, transmitter and reciever.

although the guardian has a few features the minilink doesn't (I don't know why they do this!) It has some extra alarms on it.. we currently use the minilink and it works well for us.. Kaylee been using it since she was 4 years old.

20. hawkeyegirl

MM is the only pump where the CGM readings read right to the pump screen. With the other CGMs, your child has to carry an additional pump-sized "receiver" that will show the CGM readings. If you choose the MM CGM, your child only carries his pump, and the readings are right there on the pump screen.

I don't know if you ever use Carelink, but if you get the CGM, all of your CGM information will show up on Carelink too. Tons of graphs and reports, and because your pump and CGM are both MM products, all of the information is on the same reports.

The Guardian is MM's "stand alone" CGM. Mostly it's for people who want a CGM, but don't have a MM pump.

Go to www.minimed.com and look at the CGM information. They have an online school and everything. Also, call your MM rep and have them come out and show you the sensor stuff. I cannot believe your endo didn't talk to you about this!