- advertisement -

Free Style Flash Error Rate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by D-Dad, Mar 20, 2010.

1. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

We've been using the Flash for 5 years and switched over to the newer version about 6 months ago. How we seem to receive a lot more bad readings than we did with the earlier version. I could deal with a 10% variance.... but we often get two readings that are 30% off. Anyone else?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

are you talking about the freestyle lite? We've been using the lite since it came out. We find it quite accurate.. meter, cgms reading and a1c all are usually within a few points of each other. :)

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Maybe you could give more detail re: what you mean by "bad readings". For example, are you testing and getting an 80 and then immediately testing again and getting 180? Or are you comparing it against a cgm? I have been using the Flash for almost 3 years and have found it to be pretty accurate. Have you been using the same meter for 5 years? Regularly changing the battery?

4. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

Sorry.... So we had been using the flash with no issues... they switched us to the lite... that's when our problems began. We get bad numbers. For example, we can get a 360, test again and get 165..... I realize there is a margin of error but we just seem to be getting two many false highs with the lite.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Have you called to get it replaced? That is obviously beyond the margin of error... anytime we see something like that we wash and retest, and all is good.

If you haven't gotten a replacement, I'd definitely give them a call. We have had very good luck with our Lites, its the only one we use.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Have you phoned Abbott to report the frequency of these "outliers"? I would be very interested in hearing their response.

This is also the reason we must provide comments about real life experiences and the potential disasters as a result of outliers to the FDA/CDRH during the current comments period on this subject. I have a post about that here http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=51435 and urge you to submit your observations.

7. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

I have not called Abbott yet..... I manage meters as I do sunglasses and pens - I tend to have many scattered about. If no one else is having the issue - I guess I have to figure out which one it is and get it replaced. Thanks!

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

One advantage of using a single meter is that you have a better idea of average bg levels.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It may not be the meter - it may be the lot of strips. I hate to ask the question, but do you have control solution to test to make sure the strips are in range?

If no one reports, nothing changes.

Please keep us posted.