- advertisement -

Free public preschool?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cassiusmom, Sep 6, 2011.

1. cassiusmom

cassiusmom Approved members

My son is four years old and is T1D. He was diagnosed 2 wks. after his 3rd birthday.
    The town we live in has a public preschool program. You have to pay for it if you are "typical", or what they call a "role model", however, if you have a disability (IEP), it is free.
    I was wondering if my son is entitled to free preschool. I have been doing some reading regarding the laws and so forth, but it is sometimes hard to understand.
    He attended the program last year, and no one mentioned anything about him being disabled or told us anything about the 504 plans, etc.
    It's just through some research that I learned about this.
    Anyone out there who can shed some light.
    Thanks so much.

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well a 504 is not the same as an IEP. They get special funding for children with IEPs since they have specific educational needs--OT, PT, speech, resource room, dedicated aid, etc. Whereas having D and a 504 just outlines how and who will help manage her D in school. Would someone with a wheel chair who was developmentally appropriate get an IEP? I woulndn't think so. But they might have a 504 to get extra time for certain activities that might be difficult. If you call the school they will likely say no. She is definitely entitled to a 504 but not necessarily an IEP.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

In order for a child to qualify for an IEP, there has to be some sort of academic concerns. You may want to call the preschool and discuss if IEP qualification is the only criteria they use, and then have your child assessed. In my daughter's case for example, her grades have not changed since being diagnosed, so we have never persued an IEP, and I don't think she would qualify. She does however qualify for a 504 and we have one in place.

4. cassiusmom

I don't think that he belongs on an IEP. I am wondering about the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, which guarantees a free and appropriate education. I am wondering if Diabetes fall under that category.

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Idea applies to kids that have a disability of some type AND also require special education services. Schools comply with IDEA by following an IEP. If your child doesn't qualify for an IEP, he does not meet the requirements set forth by IDEA.

Does that make sense?

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

You can apply. My son went to preschool for free, he had a 504. A lot of times they are looking for kids that just don't fit the mold.. for lack of a better word. Most of the slots go to kids with disabilities first and then they start looking for things like, ELL or allergies or medical conditions or even things like single parents or adopted parents. Ours is a needs based program so basically needs are ranked and things that set you apart are more likely to get you in. Nick at the time had his immune def, asthma, latex allergy and was off all milk, soy and gluten.

7. cassiusmom

I got ya! Thanks!

8. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I know that Connor was determined to be eligible for free Pre-K based upon his diabetes and because we had recently moved. So, you just never know unless you ask!

9. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

We have a "More at Four" program here in NC and Zach qualified for it. Granted, I was a teacher at the school so they didn't have to worry about transportation and he did have some sensory/ADHD issues. It was the best thing ever. He did not need a 504 (they said he couldn't have one at four) and he did not qualify for an IEP at that time. We had a health care plan and a fabulous teacher.