- advertisement -

"Free Foods" for summer

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2marchboys, May 21, 2012.

1. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I am looking for idea's on "free foods" (0 carb) to have on hand this summer. The string cheese and jello cups are not cutting it with my 6 year old. We are on week 2 of summer vacation and having many fights in the afternoons over what he can have for a snack. I think he has hit a growth spurt.
    Anyone have any suggestions? He doesn't like cold meats very well or jerky.

2. Deal

Deal Approved members

You might be setting yourself up for a future battle of wills. Is it really that important not to give him insulin + carbs? I say that because diabetes is pretty tough on our kids and having them miss out on the foods he would otherwise be eating might not be a sacrifice worth making for him.

That said, diet freezes are one zero carb summer snack.

3. bryantfam

bryantfam Approved members

The only free snack we use in the summer is homemade freezer pops using crystal light, fruit2o, or other sugar free juice drinks. They don't do much for an empty belly, but they certainly help when the bells of the ice cream truck come into range!

4. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

We do veggies and dip which isn't super satisfying but low carb. Frozen whipped cream is also a huge hit! Just like ice cream with much fewer carbs.
    But why not give carbs and insulin?

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Pickles ...maybe try wrapping turkey around.
    Pepperoni
    Hard boiled eggs
    hotdogs
    Popsicles made with crytal light
    Jello jigglers?

I know your looking for 0 carb foods, but popcorn is very filling and you get 2 cups for about 15 carbs.

Have a great summer!

6. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Sugar-free snow cones seem to come up this time of year. They're very fun and definitely appropriate for summer vacation.

I think a snow cone maker can be purchased relatively inexpensively from Target. They sell sugar-free syrups made with Splenda, but you could also make your own with concentrated crystal light.

7. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Thanks everyone -
    I have my mom looking for the popsicle molds that we used when I was growing up.
    We are trying not to do insulin as he has not had an insulin shot since the first part of March b/c the Endo says he is in a very strong honeymoon stage and has a 1:80 meal ratio.

8. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I would just let him eat as he normally would, and if you have to do insulin, then you have to do insulin. I know it's tough dosing tiny amounts of insulin (I remember trying to do quarter units on syringes), but it's best for the whole family if you take control of diabetes instead of the other way around. There are syringes w/ half unit markings (you can get pretty close on quarter units w/ these) and you can also use diluted insulin (we never used diluted insulin but I'm sure you can find parents here who did and/or still do). Growing kids need carbs, and as long as they're healthy carbs (most of the time - we all need some splurges :rolleyes:) I would let him take the lead and figure out how to make it work.

9. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

If he has a 1:80 meal ratio then a "free" snack may not have to be exactly 0 carbs. It is different for every kid but he could potentially have a 5-15 gram snack without it effecting his blood sugar, or it effecting it only a very small amount. It is all trial and error.

10. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Maybe some deviled eggs, whipped cream with different flavored dry sugar free jello mixed in, pork rinds, nuts, or delux American cheese crisps (a piece of delux American cheese cut in pieces and microwaved for about a minute on parchment paper).

11. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

try the deli section for different or fancy cheeses, Laughing Cow, babybell etc. celery/peanutbutter or cream cheese
    nuts
    Blue Diamond brand has cocoa and cinnamon flavored covered almonds at 4g per serving

And thinking about summer, many 7/11 stores have crystal light slurpees!