- advertisement -

freaking a bit about Halloween

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 4monkeez, Oct 29, 2010.

1. 4monkeez

4monkeez Approved members

So I have downloaded the carb lists and mentally prepared for a long night...but I am still freaking out! Just wondering if any seasoned parents have some good tips...Halloween is Matt's favorite holiday...I want it to be FUN!!! Thanks!!!

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Well even for my children that don't have D, I wouldn't overdo it on the candy, but I do provide it in moderation. Sugar is actually not a huge problem for Elizabeth as long as I dose for it, but I do stay away from fat laden treats, like peanut butter cups (they're deadly!!). She loves suckers since a little goes a long way since she has to suck on it.

Have fun!!

3. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Just do the best you can, don't panic, and don't worry if his numbers are a bit higher than usual. Also, you may end up testing more than usual during the night, depending how late they are eating treats.

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've allways had trouble keeping them up on halloween night.
    luckily sunday isn't a school day.

but try to prepare meal you know they will eat some of. mine were always so excited to get out there. our neighborhood has a lot of walking hince the low numbers later.

but I think after you can dole out the candy in lunches, you can offer money for the candy. mommy can steal her favs.

really halloween is nothing to worry about. I freated over my first one too.

5. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

Halloween hasn't been a problem for us. I find that walking around trick-or-treating and/or going to church party will cause Molly to run low if she doesn't get some snacks. So...I let her have a little bit here and there (no insulin) while we're out. If she has something bigger I'll cover her for the carbs. She usually has a piece or 2 after lunch and/or dinner the following days. I just cover the carbs.

6. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

This is our first Halloween with D but I am not to worried. Ri likes to trad candy for money and only keep a small amount of stuff she likes. We did it for xmas and easter. I am bummed cause the night of H they only get two pieces and go to bed. The day after I just give them the bag and let them go to town. My boys actually calm down with sugar and candy so I have never cared. I am sad she cant just pig out on it once a year like she use to but she doesnt seem to mind so much.

7. KHM

KHM Approved members

Its something of a mixed blessing that our next door neighbor's son is also T1D---dx'd ten years ago at age 7. I'm following their lead---we've always limited candy after Halloween: pretty much whatever they want after Trick-or-Treat, portion control for a few days thereafter and then it mysteriously disappears after that. With our CWD we've decided to let her choose what she'd like for Halloween night, keep a few things for lunches that week and trade something she really wants for the rest of the candy. She's very happy: she gets to partake in all the fun and have plenty of candy with a bonus gift.

8. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Tell all your kids how you're going to do Halloween this year ahead of time. Then remind them again during dinner before you go trick or treating. You don't have to mention diabetes. We set a limit of how many candies our son can eat AFTER trick or treating and then we keep the bag for treats for the coming weeks. We did it this way before diabetes too. And it's funny because our son always accepted the limits. What he has always liked most is sorting through his candy, separating it into categories, counting it, etc. I think he mostly likes to see how MUCH he can collect and how MUCH he has.

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We have never let our kids gorge on unlimited candy, and that has nothing to do with diabetes. We go trick or treating, and tell them they can pick 2 candies for dessert/bedtime snack. That's it. The rest of the candy goes in the candy drawer and eaten like normal treats.

My kids have the most fun sorting their candy after halloween. They dump it all out on the table and "organize" it.

This year I am paying for candy. DS7 can no longer have anything with artificial colors in it, so I told him I'd pay him for his candy with colors. 5 cents for little ones, 10 cents for bigger ones. Both kids are looking for a little extra cash :)

10. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I am doing exactly what I've always done with Cass...Halloween night is a free for all...after she eats dinner, of course. She always thinks she's going to eat tons of candy, but she never eats as much as she thinks she will because she gets full. Then we parcel out the candy over the next couple of week.

I'm not going to change this for D. I talked about it with the CDE at the last appointment and she agreed that it wasn't fair to change it just because of the diabetes...

11. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

thankfully we have always done: everyone pick 10 pieces and
    send the rest to work with daddy!

That night they maybe eat 4 pieces while out walking around.
    I make sure we have a high protein dinner, probably tacos.

I will save all the skittles, starburts and lollipops for lows
    and I freeze some of the other gluten free ones for special dessert treats

Good luck!

12. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Don't get too stressed about it (easier said than done, I know:rolleyes:). My dd usually runs a little low on Halloween b/c of all the walking and excitement, so the candy is quite useful! Just dose for the candy and test when needed. You'll do great!!

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We have a blast for Halloween and have since the boys were old enough to go trick or treating. We go to several houses and trick or treat, some are friends of ours or relatives so we stop and visit. Now the candy situation;) Since Steven was diagnosed 6+ years ago, we have always had candy day. Here that is Friday night for us. We have "the candy bowl" which is stored away in the cupboard. Fridays I take it out and let each boy choose 2 small pieces of candy. I count that in with the dinner time carbs and Steven eats his supper then has some candy:) We will do the same thing Halloween night. I will let him have a couple pieces of candy that night and dose for them. Please dont worry about one night of high #s, it wont mess with the overall control or A1C. promise:cwds:

14. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

This is EXACTLY what we do too. Stephen is almost always low with all the activity going on.

The rest of the candy, he loves to sort and organize. We keep the candy for a couple of weeks or so.... and then when it gets down to the stuff that noone eats around here, it gets 'donated' to the workplace. :D

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Try not to stress! We actually have started having a family party on Halloween afternoon, so ian spends the day running around outside with his cousin and by the time trick or treat rolls around he can munch on quite a lot of candy during the evening. LOL.

and remember, one night of funky bg's isn't the end of the world. :)

16. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

When you stated you downloaded the carb list for Halloween candy where did you find it? The nurses in the hospital said that the jdrf website has a list of all the candy but I can't find it. We had a church party last night and it took forever to look up a few different pieces of candy. Could you tell me where you found your information? Thanks.

17. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I am going trick or treating this year and, in previous years, I usually run a little low with all the walking and general excitement. :)
    I'm not a huge candy person, but if I feel that I reeeeally want something from my candy bag during trick or treating itself, I'll eat it and give a bolus for it. I don't do this much, though, as I'm not big on candy in general.
    Halloween night, I come home and dump all of my candy on the floor. I organize it into bags with 5-10 pieces each inside them. I count up the carbs for each bag and write them on them with sharpie markers.
    That way, after dinner etc, I can quickly grab a bag and bolus. Worry free, for the most part. :)

Oh and, rdhead, here's the thread you were looking for :)
    http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=106002

18. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

Thank you so much. This will save me so much time. Also what a brilliant idea putting things into bags and having them ready to go. I think we will be using this to make life easier. I'm all for simple. Thanks a ton!

19. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I wasn't worried about it until a couple of days ago. Sloan's been running high all week. Candy is the last thing he needs. We're supposed to go ToT tonight and his BG is mid 400s right now. I really don't want to have to tell him he can't eat any of his candy. :(

20. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Same with us. He ends up going low every year so he gets to snack on candy while we are out. It wasn't a problem even when he was on shots.