- advertisement -

Former podders

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Mar 3, 2015.

1. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

Yes, you heard right. My friend who works in the industry told me today that Insulet signed with Abbott for 2 more years. However, I'm not sure that means the next generation PDM will use Freestyle. The information I heard was that the next generation prototype is not even ready for the annual "up & coming" technology convention. I'm hoping it's not true. Fingers crossed and toes :)

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I used the Freestyle meter (just Freestyle, the big powder blue drop) for years, followed by the FS Flash and the FS Lite, followed by the Cozmonitor. I used Freestyle products for well over a decade. I compared them to lab draws numerous times and got results dead on. I don't understand how the Omnipod had accuracy issues I never saw before. The consistency does seem far better with recent batches. It does read slightly lower than the Verio or Contour Link (only other meters I have strips for), but I suspect the truth to be somewhere in the middle.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Interesting follow-up for those that responded...

Turns out that my reply to their email made it's way through the company basically because my experience had been so bad. I eventually talked to one of their executives, who is very pleasant and polite and friendly. Basically, everything I ever wanted from an Insulet employee. This summer, we (DH, DS, DD and I) are going to Insulet and hanging out. Doing some market research, participating in various discussions, taking a tour. The kids are crazy excited. Every detail they hear makes them even more excited. My son decided to wait on the T:Slim/T:Flex in case he discovers something awesome in development. And my daughter will be that one person in the building wearing a competitor's pump. :wink: And I'll admit that amuses me :) I'm mostly curious. Every conversation I've had with Insulet recently, even the calls to customer service with pod suicides, has been so much better than it used to be so maybe things have improved. Maybe. I'm not committing to that - too much negative history for that! - but their response to my email has been positive enough that I'm willing to make the trip and see what happens.

So...it's been years since I've said this, but maybe Insulet has turned a corner in accountability and customer service? We shall see! And I'll let you know how the trip goes once we get back.

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

That is awesome Stacy! We are ahead with pump supplies and I have been tempted to swap out for pods so that she has a choice for the summer. Just not sure I want to deal with that clunky PDM again lol. I have seen people post that they are still having major issues with pods, but also have seen a few people with broken off tubing from Insets and Contact Detach, with blood sugars soaring into the 400 and 500s! I know with Dexcom that will never happen, but it is troubling to see that Unomedical has not fixed this issue!

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter's PDM must also be one of the rare ones with a meter that is relatively accurate (or it may even be reading a little high, as her A1Cs have consistently been a little lower than what I expect based on what I see as the average-ish BG readings from her PDM).

Anyone have an idea of how soon we might expect this new (and hopefully improved) PDM with the LifeScan Verio meter, as we have stockpiled a crapton of Freestyle test strips (because we trust her Dexcom's accuracy about 85% of the time and just enter that number into the PDM) and I'd hate to see all those test strips go to waste. Actually, I'm pretty sure I can find somewhere that will accept these test strips as a donation. But I'd like to get an idea of when we should stop filling rxs for more Freestyle test strips...

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Silly me, I didn't read the posts after the one I quoted before posting my reply. My bad! :(

So let me get this straight, the new PDM will use Freestyle Lite strips? There is still going to be a new PDM, isn't there? (Please say yes!)

And Stacy, my daughter and I are so jealous; we'd both give our left ovaries to be able to tour Insulet. I hope you and your son and daughter have a fantastic time! Please tell the nice Insulet folks that Rose and Tiki say "Hi!". If you happen to score any Insulet pens or other company paraphernalia, I'd be willing to offer you a sweet sum for a sticky note pad or a desk clock or a coffee mug or whatever...

7. andiej

andiej Approved members

We also seem to have a highly accurate PDM ....we also use the freestyle libre and the results are usually very close together indeed, our hba1c is usually slightly lower than we expect. As for problems with the POD themselves we have had 3 in over a year (all from same box just after we moved house, so may have been dropped in transit)....should imagine that tiny amount of issues could be expected with any pump. Yes PDM is a bit clunky but I would take that over a pump without a separate handset, it's my one must have with a pump. Pleased they may be moving to freestyle lite, always loved the freestyle lite and insulinx meters. Looking forward to seeing what the new PDM brings.