- advertisement -

Forgetting diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Dec 26, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Four years in....this is pretty much the first time I've done this...and it felt good! On Christmas Eve, we had a little dusting of snow, and the kids of course loved it. Daniel, along with his siblings and cousins, all ran outside and were running around and managing to make snowmen out of the little bit of snow. I stayed inside talking with my husband's family...and didn't realize until much later that I didn't worry once about what Daniel's BG was or if he was going low from the exercise. His diabetes did not enter my mind once. Granted, this wouldn't be good if he WAS on the low side...but, after I realized my forgetfulness...it felt good. I didn't realize it until a later nighttime check, when I was expecting the big piece of cake he had to bring high BGs...but he was in the 90s...and actually dropped lower later, requiring a juice box. I was confused at first, but then remembered that he ran around outside a lot...and was so pleasantly surprised that my D radar had taken a holiday for a little while.:) Hope everyone else was able to forget D at least for a little while over the holiday!

2. mysign17

mysign17 Approved members

I have had to come to terms with letting my son and I have a "diabetes blue" day and just not worry about it for a while. We still check at meal times, but I let him run a little on the high side..... just 'cause 24/7 management of D just sucks!

It is nice to not worry every second of the day. I am usually like you, constantly reminding my son to check before he heads outside.

Yay for you, and the chocolocate cake child got to eat. :)

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Its always a good thing Julie when you find that you havent thought about d for awhile and just looked at your kid and see them:) I remember how it was for me when Steven was little. I would watch him and fret that he might be going low or if he was eating alot he might go high. Now I dont do that very much and it does feel good just seeing Steven as Steven. Glad you had such a nice day :cwds: