- advertisement -

For those with pre-teen and young teen boys

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Is 10 1/2 too young for puberty in a boy? I know that YCPMV (your child's puberty may vary) but Im wondering if any others with young teens or tween boys have found that their CWD boys reached puberty sooner. I cant seem to get enough insulin into Steven lately:( His TDD has doubled in the past year. He weighs quite a bit more then last year at this time and is much taller. Im sure it doesnt help that its very hot out and he cant get out and run around to help burn some glucose

2. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

My CWD turns 10 next month, so I'm not sure about puberty. In the past two months his TDD has gone up a lot, so much that we had to have the Endo write a new script for it. He also has started eating a LOT more and more often. He can eat a foot long subway sandwich!

3. Diana

Diana Approved members

Well, my guy is not quite 10 1/2, and while I don't see any overt signs of puberty, his daily basal needs have suddenly (and I do mean suddenly) almost doubled. It has been mind-boggling.

My son has wildly variable basal needs anyway, so I am used to seeing weird things, but this has been noticeably different and sustained. I'm used to his basal needs more or less oscillating around 6 units a day, and now suddenly it has jumped to 12 units a day. Before I got my head wrapped around the idea that this was in fact the new reality, it was very ugly (corrections did basically nothing)

I'd also add that his endo has started checking him for signs of puberty at visits, so I assumed that meant that it was about the right time for things to start happening.

:)

4. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

My son is not quite 10 1/2. I do not really see overt signs of puberty other than a bit of a need for deodorant. Insulin needs have been increasing lately though. Well, today he had an endo appointment where a private check as well as other observations confirmed that puberty has begun. I was warned (jokingly) that testosterone is a poison so to be ready for the ride ahead. Also, I was told to increase the max bolus and max basal settings in the pump because pretty soon my son would be passing the current settings.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Mine too!:eek: He can eat more than me any day and is not at all overweight (wish I could say the same:rolleyes:) Steven turned 10 in March and since April his TDD has started to steadily climb. I know that the lack of activity isnt helping but Im thinking its puberty issues just beginning.

Thanks for responding:cwds:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Steven went from approx 12 units a day of lantus a year ago to 20 now:eek: and I will probably have to increase that. Our endo didnt think it could be puberty yet but Im going to make an appt with his pedi and see what she says.

Thanks so much for responding:cwds:

7. Becky Stevens mom

So Im right arent I?! I know my older son began showing definite signs by 11 but he doesnt have diabetes so that wasnt something that I noticed with him. With Steven its the drastic rise in his need for insulin along with the decrease in activity lately with hot weather.

Thanks for your response:cwds: I dont feel so crazy now LOL

8. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Oscar just turned 11 - he has absolutely no outward signs of puberty but since last October we have been dealing regularly with massive swings in basal needs. Probably every six weeks things go a bit nuts - he will run very low for a week - maybe drop down to 5u of basal - then BAM - we are up to 20u practically overnight. His carb intake has not changed at all - he's still not a big eater (thank God) - it's all hormones (he hasn't grown a huge amount or put on weight). I have a pattern saved on his pump for crazy basals and just flip over to it when I notice the signs - highs, highs and more highs and corrections that do nothing. It usually lasts about a week to 10 days and then we drop back down to about 8u. The frequency has eased off since we switched to Apidra - but that could just be a coincidence....Good luck Becky - you are in for a bumpy ride.

9. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor turned 10 in June and we have seen a steady increase in insulin needs the past few months. He is up to about 25 units a day in basal and a TDD of around 50 units a day.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Steven's a huge eater now but doesnt show it:cool: And thank you:) Im getting gray hairs just thinking about the lovely years of puberty ahead:eek:

11. Becky Stevens mom

I think the way Steven is going he will be up to 25 units/day basal and 50 TDD which is about double where he was a year ago. Thank you for your response:cwds:

12. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Mine is 11.Our insulin has actually decreased lately, I think due to the heat? The few signs I see of puberty are sweating in the under arm area,oily hair,a little bit of oily skin and a few tiny pimples on his face, but nothing else. He eats like a horse!:eek::eek:

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Puberty that starts at age 10 is considered within the normal range for boys (and girls).

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler definately is in the throws of pueberty and has been for well over the last year and a half (at least - maybe longer and I didn't notice;))....His total basal didn't change...just when he needed it changed.

I do notice that I can correct correct correct for a week, and just when I am about to up his basal rates or lantus dose, his bgs level out again. :rolleyes:

15. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

10 1/2 is not too young. My 10 1/2 year old boy and my 9 year old girl are ahead of my 12 1/2 year old son when it comes to puberty. Our ped says they are all completely normal. I can tell you that my 12 1/2 year old son is now showing visible signs of puberty, but his insulin needs, sensitivity to insulin, blood sugar swings, etc. changed dramatically about a year and a half ago. The Endo blamed it on puberty then, even though we were not seeing any changes. -Allison

16. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Puberty

We noticed increased insulin needs and growth spurts and puberty type changes that were starting near 11 and more during age 12. Now almost through age 13 and he is still growing and more puberty going on. It seems like a longer more slow "over the years" process for our son than it was for our non-DD. I used to worry about how much Lantus he'd end up with as the increases at age 10-12 seemed drastic and then have leveled up. I then decided it really doesn't matter how much insulin because his body needs what it needs but for awhile it did have me wondering. I also remember around age 10 1/2 he could eat more than my husband and then that leveled out too.

17. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Hi Becky- My son Patrick is not a diabetic but he did also start growing like crazy at about 10-11 years old. He could eat anything! Still can!! Though he didn't have any outward signs of puberty until he was about 13. He is now 22 and is just starting to slow down with the eating anything and everything. He is also never had a weight issue, was always thin.

18. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Both my boys (d and non) started to show signs of puberty at about 10yrs...needing deodorant, wispy hairs starting to show up in "special" places...

And the EATING - omigosh the eating! I am absolutely convinced each son was given a hollow leg for his 10th birthday. Meals that gave us leftovers went out the window and were replaced by serving dishes scraped clean by the end of dinner. It seemed to happen overnight that we went from ordering a Happy Meal to them ordering the Big Mac combo with a 6pc chicken nuggets chaser! :eek:

19. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Well it looks like I'm not alone in the boy eating everything in sight category.;) I did notice yesterday that my son does have a few dark hairs on his upper lip, not enough to shave yet though.

20. Becky Stevens mom

Yes!:eek: This is exactly what Im going through! Im having to cook nearly twice as much food for the 2 of them to fill them up. And when Im stuffed, theyre both ready for a second or third helping