- advertisement -

for those who use steel sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Mar 20, 2011.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Here's a question for you, how often do you have to change them? My SIL (who is also a Type 1) and I were talking about infusion sets. She uses minimed pump. She mentioned that when she tried the steel sets that she had to change them every day. If you or your child uses steel sets do you change them every day. She said if she tries to leave them in for 2-3 days the site gets all red and filled with pus. I'm wondering if she's just allergic/sensative to the steel sets. Obviously because of this she doesn't use those sets any more. Just curious, since we were given some contact detach sets to try on Ashleigh. I doubt she'd want to use them if she'd have to change them every day.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, they lasted at least 3 days, as I recall. There were other reasons that we switched, duration was not one of them.

3. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

My guess is she's just sensitive to the steel. Charlotte goes 4 days easily with good numbers and without redness. I try to change it at 3 1/2 though.

The inset30s did bother Charlotte though, and we could hardly get more than 24 hours with one by the time we switched.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

3-4 days............

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Mostly 4 days.. Yeah, should change more often, but my BGs are fine for that long, and I don't think I've ever had pus on a steel site.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Easily 4 days... :cwds:

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I was told to only go 48 hours with them - and we usually do change them out every 2-3 days.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We get 3-4 days easily. No issues with pus.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

thanks everyone. I thought it was kind of odd that she was changing them every day. Glad to hear that isn't the norm.

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we change them every 2 days, but that is more because my son is sensitive to the adhesive, not the steel set itself. So, we need to move them frequently to allow for his skin to heal.

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

We used to only get two days out of the old sets that we used. That is why we made the switch to steel sets. We usually go four days now. He has less issues with scar tissue now too.

12. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

we were told to change every 2 days but get 3 days out of the sets. I have not tried 4 days but I believe it would be possible.

13. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We change every third day, because we would change any set then, not because of a problem. A few times, when I was ill, it went 4 days without a problem.

14. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

As a test I just let Jacob's site go until he started getting poor absorption. He had a high day on day three but I left the site in. Absorption was never bad again and he has been running on the low side. I'm not sure how long that site was in. Ten days at least. Today the tubing broke at the pump end so I changed the site. There's a bump and some redness, but it's really not that bad.

I left it in so long just to test the theory that often sites are blamed for poor absorption when actually the site is fine and something else is going on. I won't do it again though. Usually the site is changed every 3.5 days.

15. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

We use contact detach and change every 2 to 3 days. We could easily go to 4, but try and change often to avoid issues. Sounds like she may be allergic?

16. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

3-4 days with steel, we never got to a full 3 with teflon due to her allergy.

17. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We're on mios now but used sure-t's for 2 years. The reverse is true for us. We get3 days with the sure-ts but only 2 with the mios (and don't even talk about the quicksets! :( ).

I did leave the site in for 4 days once for Kylie (with a sure-t) and she did get an infection, but no infections with 3 days.