- advertisement -

For those who have used both--how do Novolog and Humalog compare?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Nov 6, 2013.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD has been using Novolog since dx four years ago this month.

Just wondered how the two compare (especially given the other posts about Express Scripts, etc., which we've not been able to confirm for my DH's plan).

TIA

2. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We've used both since diagnosis in January of this year, and at one point because of overlap, he was using Humalog at home and Novolog at school. We saw no difference in his numbers whatsoever. He prefers Novolog because of the "clicking" it makes with each unit (Humalog does not have this feature) and because the pen is a little smaller, but as far as his numbers/dosages are concered, we've seen no difference.

3. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

We saw no significant differences in terms of numbers, ratios, duration, A1C.

With Humalog, we had clogs/occlusions in the cannula on a semi-regular basis. We'd see higher numbers that would not come back into range with repeated corrections, and when changing the site, I could see this whitish, semi-solid "stuff" in the cannula. But I think it's a body chemistry thing, as it happened much more frequently with Jack than it did with Nate.

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

DS has used both Humalog and Novolog on MDI. We haven't seen any differences at all between the two.

Christine

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Basically interchangable. I think that sites last a bit longer on Novolog than Humalog, but my endo thinks I'm nuts for believing that. ;)

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Definitely a YDMV question, but I've used Novolog and Humalog both successfully. I've found my numbers a touch "flatter" with Humalog- fewer high highs and low lows.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

I had a smoother action curve on Novolog. I was also able to consistently use Novolog for three days without issues while with Humolog most of the time I had problems with the site after 2 1/2 days. I do not know if problems with sites was my chemistry with Humolog or insulin crystalizing, but my insulin needs would go up dramatically and I had many no delivery alarms. It really can vary between individuals.:cwds:ali

8. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

Jack came home from the hospital on Humalog last year, but we switched to Novolog because of our insurance. No difference at all with the numbers (we're MDIers).

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks to all who responded. Looks like my question might be moot given the change in our pharmacy benefits manager from Express Scripts, but its good to know in any case.

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We switched from humalog to novolog 9 years ago when Carson started pumping. I can't compare them, but the reason we switched was because at the time novolog was the only insulin approved for pump use. Can someone show me something about if/when humalog was ever approved for pumping? I find it very interesting that some say it doesn't last as long for sites. We have an endo appt soon where we will discuss what to do.

11. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

12. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

I just pulled out the package insert from the vial.
    It says that humalog may be administered via "external insulin pump"
    "Change humalog in the reservoir every 7 days,change infusion sets and infusion set sites every 3 days"

13. ABQLaurie

ABQLaurie New Member

Humalog vs Novolog in pumps

------
    Hi all,
    I'm new here, but far from a newbie to t1d.

Humalog is different from Novolog in some subtle ways perhaps,but the impact can be major for pumpers. Novolog was designed and tested to remain stable in the plastic tubing and cannulas that most pumpers use. Humalog is "stickier" somehow ... Site irritations and less predictable results are common. I'm hoping my old records exist so we can make a successful case with my insurance co/Express Scriots. Oy. I don't want to go back to the Humalog problems which will cost far more in the long run.