Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Dec 8, 2011.
I'd like to have one, but Bobby doesn't want anything else attached to him.
Our Endo isn't convinced they are reliable enough yet. I wanted one because my DS ignores his symptoms of being low when he is involved in a game . I asked him if he truly doesn't feel it or if he pushes it until he's so low he's sick. He said half and half. When we started the pump I wanted the Minimed Revel with the integrated CGM and their rep said our insurance wouldn't cover it. After we went with the Ping and had it ordered, Minimed came back willing to work with us through a trial. It was too late to cancel the Ping. We had already had to cancel the Omnipods due to a severe reaction to the pod. I would still like a CGM. My DS's numbers are so crazy with every site change I think it would help us adjust more effectively.
Steven doesnt want to pump or CGMS at this time. His A1C is fine, his daily blood sugars are mostly in range so we're following his lead
We have talked about it for almost 2 years now and the endo's office always tells us they are going to start the process and they don't and then we forget and don't push it and it cycles around again. I have told DH that we REALLY need to get on board with this. Zach has started having more and more unexplained lows and I want the CGMS instead of playing with the basal/snacks/etc. to manage. We have finally figured out that the bad behaviors at school have changed from being high induced to low induced. Hopefully we will get one soon.
I tried it, but #1, way too expensive, # 2 it didn't improve my A1c
#3, it made me lazy on testing, and when I did test I trusted my meter more
We are in a CGM clinical trial. It was presented to us as an option when she decided to start pumping. We investigated both pumps and let her choose which she preferred. When she chose the Veo, I then explained to her about the CGM. She liked the idea so we agreed to be in the trial.
A1C's have always been good etc. I just really wanted to see the information it provided. It is a real eye-opener, as has been said on here by others before.
I also found the amount of information very overwhelming and am just now starting to use it for making changes. A big part of that is probably from starting the two devices at the same time.
After the trial is over (1 year), I'm not sure if we will continue with the CGM full time or maybe just part time. I think a lot will depend on if our insurance will cover it as well as if the Enlite is approved for use in Canada by then. Right now we are able to use the Enlite because we are enrolled in the study. If we couldn't continue with them, there is no way I could convince Amanda to use the currently available sensor (nor would I ask). We've seen them and they are scary looking!
Another 13 year old who doesn't want another device attached to her. We tried the original Medtronic sensor a few years ago and she HATED it. The insertion was painful and the site remained painful (and itchy). She considered it a torture device.
Much like the reasons we don't have a pump, a) he doesn't want something attached to him all the time, and since he is 12 I do feel he is old enough to weigh in on that decision. b)I can not afford it.
Molly doesn't want one more thing attached and feels that she tests enough during the day. Still, we'll be getting a dexcom any day because she met her deductible (bad news) and so it was affordable (good news) and the insurance approved it. I'm hoping that she might want to try it if we actually have it. If not, I'll hold on to it until she might be interested.
Yuck for insertion!
We were trying to use CGMS but the insertion and the whole initializing process has been awful. We have given up for the time being with that.
Even with numbing cream my four year old would fight,kick and scream - we had to hold him down. We waited until after he was asleep and he would still wake up and fight it. Then if you did get it inserted at 11 PM - a reading would be due at 1 AM - yuck!
This is for a child who doesn't even cry at all or fight during site changes.
Caleb's 9, and really doesn't want to wear one. Our a1c today was 8.1. Not great. I'd really like him to consider it. We've done the class, but he gets upset when I mention it. ): At this point, it's not worth the fight.
I really would love to have a CGM but he is still on the fence about it. We did a trial last year, he hated the insertion (his pump is automatic insertion), and it was during football season, not a good time to trial.
I do occasionally talk to him about it, will bring it up at the next Endo appointment but he really needs to want it too.
We did get the dexcom a while back...Well I loved it, he hated it..He said he was willing to "try" it for a while..he said it hurt almost every time we put a site on.. Then he got posion ivy. not enough place's to put the dex andthe pump with posion ivy..so we had to take the dex off...Fast foward a few weeks when everything is cleared up. I start taling about putting the dex on again, and he was not wanting anything to do with it again..he just kept saying he already has the pump on and don't want another site..so what do ya do..kind of like fighting a losing battle..I told him that it is his body and if he don't want it then we won't do it..I did ask if he would try it again sometime.:cwds: I kind of feel like he is right..I hated seeing a pump in one pocket and a dex in the other.., but I still loved the dex..I loved it the most at nights:cwds:
1. My daughter also found they hurt both going in and once in. She said she could always feel it and refuses to wear one.
2. Just as well, as I could not remember to recharge the transmitter once a month when it was idle, so it died. The darn things only have a 6 month warranty.
3. Insurance would not cover cgms or supplies.
4. My biggest reason for wanting one was to deal with sports, but it was wildly
unreliable when she was really active like during a tournament weekend. (It may have been DD's calibrating, but I don't think so).
I will certainly offer her another try at it when the Enlite can be purchased here or when Dexcom finally comes to Canada.
DD doesn't want one, and there is no medical reason to get one.. :cwds:
dd says heck no, wallet says double heck no, insurance says surely you must be joking, you want what? - her metal allergy never even occurred to me until I read Lee's reply. So, no cgm here and I doubt that will change any time soon
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to read through all of the posts but I just wanted to let you know that we also do not CGM. At this point I have not found a compelling reason to put Max on one. We always have great A1c's (typically in the mid to upper 6% range) and he is always very compliant with fingersticks. We are able to test about 10 times a day with no problem. We still get up every night to check him at least once in the middle of the night and we are so used to it it's a non-issue. There were a lot of threads going on at one point about CGM problems and I didn't want to start going down that road when I didn't find it necessary yet. Am I opposed to a CGM? Absolutely not, I think it's a great tool.
we're doing well without a cgm. Our highest A1C so far has been 6.6%. Also Ashleigh doesn't feel like having an additional poke, or something else to carry around. If we start noticing a lot of lows or weird numbers then we'll probably consider one.
Same as above
We just didn't want her little body covered in machines. If she wants one or incurs lots of unexplained, unexpected lows or stops detecting her lows, we'll revisit it though.
Separate names with a comma.