- advertisement -

For those who aren't pumping, why not?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jan 28, 2008.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We're about 2 1/2 months into diagnosis here, and I'm not ready to pump for a couple of reasons. First off, I'm just starting to deal with the emotional aspect of having a diabetic child, and I feel like going on the pump would be like starting from ground zero emotionally again - the unsureness, the newness, etc.

Secondly, I don't think Jack would handle it very well right now. He wouldn't like having something attached to his body all the time, and although he'd get used to it, it would be traumatic for him for a while. And the past couple of months have been traumatic enough.

I don't doubt that we'd get improved numbers (although his numbers are really pretty good - we're still honeymooning), and I know pumping is in our future. Just not right now.

Anyone else?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We came to pumping after 2+ years of shots. Every child and every family is different. You should not feel pressured into doing anything other than providing the best care you can for your son, be it via MDI or Pump.

3. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

We arent pumping yet because we arent ready to either. Kylee was diagnosed the week before your son and we are still trying to get the hang of things too. She has no desire to do it right now either, and at 10 her opinion matters a lot.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth isn't interested in having anything "attached" to him all the time, and I think it should be up to him. I have told him that I would like him to try it at some point during H.S. so that he knows his options BEFORE college and while he's still at home where I can help him. :D

5. skimom

skimom Approved members

WE waited 8 or nine months, at the advice of the endo, so that we had a better handle on how things work with this disease.My son was on MDI and the endo designed his program so that we were mimicing the pump as much as possible. The transition was smooth and more importantly, we were all ready for the pump.
    You will make that choice when you and your child are ready. Lots of people never pump and they do just fine.

6. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Kelton pumped for a year and a half and it just wasn't for him. His A1c did not improve, we had site failures, one pump failure and he is way too thin and the canula kept hitting muscle.
    He is now on Lantus and his A1c has improved and he has freedoms he did not have on the pump. He does not mind the injections at all.

Our Endo agrees that the pump is not for everyone and Kelton falls into this category.

7. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

We are 6 months in and waited for our son to tell us what he wanted. He is only 5 but it is HIS body and I didn't feel comfortable forcing him to do something he wasn't sure about. The pump manufacturers have been great and sent us samples (MM, Coz, Omnipod) so we could look feel, wear (without injection). Will has now decided he would like to try one, which one we are still not sure so it still may be a few more months but he is enthused that he will not have to have so many injections a day. (he gives his own)

8. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

My son was on MDI for 14 months before switching over to the Omnipod just 3 weeks ago. It is definetly a personal decision. No pressure until you as the parent and the child is ready.

9. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

I agree that sticking with injections is probably the way to go for the first year after diagnosis. That's my personal opinion but also the opinion of our endo. He feels it's important that we all know how to do injections b/c the pump isn't for everyone and b/c should anything go wrong with the pump we need to know how to handle diabetes management with injections. We are interested in doing a pump trial this spring. I am hoping it is a positive transition but if not then we will just continue with injections. There are some pros to injections too. Don't feel pressured to get your child a pump just because someone else likes it or wants you to get one.

This is going off on a tangent but I got so angry when we went to put our DS back in school last year when the school personnel questioned why we were pumping. He was a week out from diagnosis and they had a lot of unrealistic expectations and they were already pressuring us to get him on a pump to make it easier for THEM. Who cares if it's easier for them? We will always do what is best for DS and not what is so called "easier" for the school.

10. krstn9@yahoo.com

krstn9@yahoo.com Approved members

pump

We went on the pump 7m after dx. My son is a healthy eater and likes to graze all day long (including healthy food :) ) He quickly got tired of meats, cheeses and nuts. It seemed we got to the point where we were giving too many shots. His AIC was not better with the pump. It was for the convenience of not getting so many shots and eating whenever he wanted. As far as I am concerned, whatever works for the child is what is right. I have to admit though that my son was not "thrilled" about the idea of going on the pump. Today, he can't imagine going on shots.

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia was on MDI for 1.5 years after dx. For the first year neither she nor us had ANY interest in pumping. For many reasons it just didn't appeal to us. Then over the next six months we thought it might be a good idea and came to decide on it. For US, I am the one doing most everything with D management and I'm a slow learner/adapter. So that's what worked for us.

All kids and families are different as is D in individuals. Do what works for your son and your family.

12. Dana

Dana Approved members

The endo wanted Iris to be on board with the idea. Her father and I think it would be wonderful. She does not want to do it. So we are still on MDI.

13. brownkkeb

brownkkeb Approved members

We too are not quite ready

Hawkeyegirl - your son and mine must be close to the same birthday, as Russell is also 3 3/4 years old. He was dx 8/14/07, so we've had a few months longer to think about it, and are still not sure it's right for us at this time. Trust your gut - if you're not ready, that's OK.

Kathy

14. OneTwinWithJD

OneTwinWithJD Approved members

Devin was only diagnosed 4 months ago. I am just now entertaining the idea of a pump and just a few days ago started my research. I do know that we will NOT be getting the pump right NOW but ONLY because he is honeymooning HEAVILY (1/2 unit lantus once per day, 1:45 I:c Ratio).
    Right now his numbers REALLY good and I figure if its not broke don't fix it. LOL
    He went to the Endo Friday and they did an A1C but we are still waiting the results (it was sent off). The Endo said he would be VERY surprised by looking at Devin's number if he wasn't in the normal range this time (He was 9.7 at dx and 7.4 after 1 month).
    Devin does not mind the shots AT ALL. He will be 3 in March and he tends to be pretty hard headed like his mom so I figure the younger we can start him on it the better.
    Another reason I waited until not to entertain the fact of a pump was also because I needed to see results with MDI and now that I could handle that first. Because if the pump fails we are back MDI :eek:)
    I agree not to be pressured. You have to do it when its right for YOUR family and just like YDMV so does everyones ways of "controlling" d!
    GOod Luck!

15. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Tony will pull off iv's (which is a blast in the hospital) and bandaids so I doubt he'd appreciate the pump just yet. He's too young to talk to about it.

16. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Samantha was dxd the end of Aug our endo told us then that he doesnt let newbies pump till after a year, but since my mom is also pumping her Dr said he might think about it at 6 months insead. Samantha really wants the pump she sees my moms and just drools over it. I hope that when we see the Dr this week he will let her get a pump.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We waited 8 months before pumping. For us, it was too much to soon to start any earlier than that. We did well on MDI, so we took the time to get a handle on things, do research and try and get back to normal.

Our endo's son actually has T1, and she said he has taken a pump vacation twice. Abby's teacher has been doing MDI for 39 years. She had trouble going from Humalog to Aprida, so for now is sticking to MDI.

Pumping isn't for everyone. Don't feel pressured by anyone to switch if you're not ready. I know many at this site do tend to lean more towards the pump. Honestly, there are some days that I miss MDI. Such as at the beach. You'll know when you're ready to make the switch, but if you're comfortable and things are working well, no need to make a hasty change.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

We are still on MDi, because our DD does not want the pump. Since it is her body and her diabetes, we respect that decision.

Also, we have found it is possible without undue effort to manage the D well using injections. Our A1Cs have been exemplary, DD gets to eat pretty much what she wants when she wants, and she doesn't have this "thing" (as she calls it) attached to her.

Some advantages of shots:
    - once you've given the injection, you know your child will get the insulin
    - less to go wrong, as injections are "low tech"
    - aesthetically superior
    - never any ketone issues

There are pros and cons of both methods of delivering insulin. Studies have shown that for the majority of people with diabetes, they're better off with the pump. That having been said, we see no reason to switch and won't be considering it for the foreseeable future.

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Tom's choice - he doesn't like "attachment." Saw this in the hospital with the IV and it may hark back to his newborn days wrapped in a fiber optic blanket that was plugged into the wall (treating jaundice).

He is waffling a little now but he gets to make the decision. If he decides to, it will have to wait till next year so the flexible spending account can cover our portion of the cost.

Personally I'm not all that anxious to go there, but it's up to him.

Becky

20. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

untethered method

The reason I chose the pump is because Elizabeth is very insulin sensitive and is going into school this fall. The nurses will not be able to give her quarter units, or tenths of a unit for that matter with the syringe, and I don't trust they will calcuate the dosages properly with the IOB aspect of it, so that's why we chose it. However, I didn't care for the aspect of her being attached to something 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or the fact that she could develop DKA if her site became bad.

Her control on MDI wa excellent with Lantus/Novolog, and we can do the calculations to allow her to graze (like Wilf), and we could do injections that were less than half a unit, so she had good accuaracy as far as her dosages were concerned. The Lantus also kept her at the same number after her insulin on board was consumed, so there was no need for variable basals throughout the day.

Therefore, we went with the unorthodox method of "untethered" to give her Lantus as basal, and her bolus through the pump.

Do I recommend the pump? It's not for everyone, but some people really love it. I think if you have good control on MDI, you should not feel pressured to go on the pump unless there is a good reason for it. I highly recommend the pump for very insulin sensitive children since it can get tiny dosages in you, or you can choose to still do MDI, but use diluted insulin.

Part of her basal (20% of the total basal) she gets is through Novolog because the pump we chose needs to give a constant drip of basal to work properly. We can also choose to raise that basal level if she's sick or requires more basal at certain times of the day. That being said, if she has a site failure, it is less likely that she will develop ketones because she already has Lantus in her. We can also unhook the pump from her for extended periods of time for swimming, or other activities, and not worry about ketones, as long as she has insulin to cover her carbs.

However, as Wilf put it, there are reasons I actually miss the injections. I actually liked knowing that the insulin did go inside her when I press down on the plunger.