- advertisement -

For those using CGM...nighttime checks?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Nighttime checks and the CGM, what do you do?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2013.
  1. I set an alarm to check CGM

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. I let the CGM wake me

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The CGM has definitely changed the dynamics of our nighttimes. I still set an alarm clock, but many nights instead of physically getting up to check my daughter I either roll over or walk to where I've hung it to take a look at it. Then, from the number shown I decide either to go back to sleep or do an actual check.

I was curious, do you do the same, or just rely on the CGM alarm waking you up if there is a problem?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We used the 7+ for 2 years before starting the G4 in November. With the 7+, after a few weeks, we would only set an alarm with the rare wacky sensor. We've only recently started seeing real accuracy with the G4, so we're back to setting the alarm & verifying with a meter.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I voted, "set my alarm" but I could have gone the other way as well. Or I could have agreed that I set my alarm and go check her bg then calibrate the cgm.

But we are still pretty new to the G4 and she's been having a lot of lows lately so both factors probably influence my vote.

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Unless the CGM has been way off or shows ??? at bedtime, we rely only on the CGM alarms to wake us. I keep the G4 receiver on the nightstand next to me, so if I wake during the night, I do peek at it to make sure all is well.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I voted "I let the CGM wake me", but it is really the MySentry that wakes me. I don't hear the actual CGM, and neither does my son.

We do set alarms to do night time checks on days we're not sure we trust the cgm, or if for whatever reason he is not wearing a sensor that night.

6. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We still check but usually I will do it at midnight or so before I go to bed and if things look like they are rolling along nicely, rely on the alarms, if things are goofy, they I set an alarm on my phone to check later.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We rely on the CGM alarms.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

We rely on the alarms unless I know something is wonky.

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Alarms. However we were never big night checkers like most here. DD rarely ran low at night and feels them. Running high at night is more common. And we've found the G4 to be very accurate. If it's off, it tends to be lower than the meter rather than higher.

ETA, by alarms I mean the CGM alarms.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Both. If BGs are stable or moving predictably, I let the alarm wake me. If something is up, I set an alarm. I think it's about 50:50 at this house!

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I always check and calibrate at midnight, then rely on the CGMS.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We only checked before when we thought something was wonky. I generally wake up a few times a night anyway so I check the CGM then and rely on alarms.

13. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

Both! We have a MySentry and most days it's okay, but on occasion it loses the pump signal and we have to set alarms. I'm a very light sleeper so i usually have one eye on the screen at all times during the night anyway lol. I can't say that I've had even one full night of rest since diagnosis last August:(

14. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I set my alarm if he had an activity at night (baseball/basketball) or something is just strange before I go to bed. I do rely on the alarm solely a few times a week which is a blessing.

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

unless something has been weird before I go to bed, I never set an alarm anymore. I had forgotten what sleeping through the night was like.

16. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Thank you for asking this. I had been wondering this myself.

17. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

When we first started with the CGM the alarms would wake me. Now they do not. Heck, they don't even wake my dd who is wearing it! :mad:

Almost a moot point for me anyway as I'm getting up to check my other dd who does not have a CGM.

I have no plans for regular, satisfying sleep in the next 10 years or so. :rolleyes:;):cwds:

18. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Totally depends on the situation for me.

If I am working (and thus may need to drive at any point) I test basically every hour regardless of having a CGM or not.

At home (well, at school) I test before bed and depending on that number will be willing to go until 6 AM or so without a test. That is 4-5 hours without a test. For that period I would be depending on CGM alarms and probably be woken up 2-3 times. CGM alarms are set at 80-140 right now. If I need the sleep I set them at 100-200 and turn down my basal. If I have had more then 4-5 drinks that night I will set an alarm to test every 2 hours.

Up until I left for college my parents tested me every 2 hours at night (with a CGM). Now they generally test me at 3 AM then 6 AM when I am home. I complain about them testing me but secretly I do feel a bit safer sleeping at home then at school where it is possible I will sleep through a CGM alarm. And it is really nice to not have to worry about the night checks myself :cwds:

19. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I didn't vote....because I do not set an alarm, but just wake up around 2ish and check out of habit. I do double check him with his meter if he is not in the range we have set for him.