- advertisement -

for pumpers: do you still do a bedtime snack?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, May 18, 2015.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Just curious: For those of you with kids who pump, do you give your child a bedtime snack?

When my dd was on MDI, and for a little while after pump start, we did half a glass of milk and some teddy grahams every night before bed. A little while after we started pumping, a CDE suggested that since she has both a pump and a CGM, as long as dd wasn't asking for it, the snack was just unnecessary calories. We were more than happy to discontinue the snack, because it was just one more thing that slowed down bedtime with two toddlers in the house.

Recently, we've had a lot of wonky overnights of all varieties, including a few nights every week that start with stubborn highs and trail off to mild lows around 4 a.m. We are playing with basals and corrections to address the highs, of course, but I'm also wondering if we should add back in some bedtime milk with the hopes of easing those middle-of-night/early morning lows....

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Unless he's low, we do not do a bedtime snack.

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Since we started pumping, we no longer get free (or uncovered) carbs. Except to treat lows.

When we were on MDI. My daughter got 15 uncovered carbs each mid morning, and 15 uncovered carbs each mid afternoon. She would get 15 uncovered carbs at bedtime if BG is below 100.

When we went on the pump. We were told no more uncovered carbs (except to treat lows). We bolus for all the snacks, even if before bedtime.

We went through a period of 2AM highs. I think that is the growth hormone at work.

We are now enjoying a period of stubborn 5-7AM highs. We still have these 2AM highs, but it comes and goes. Unpredictable. This is why we tend to do alot of temp basals at night time.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Adult here, but I typically have a snack before bed (toast, yogurt, or a few crackers) just because I am hungry too early if I do not. I bolus for the carbs though. My guess is once you fix the highs you will fix the lows since you won't be dealing with overnight corrections. At least until something else changes....

Maybe try correcting a bit less aggressively or give the insulin slightly longer than usual to work before correcting again since you know she will drop. Good luck!

5. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

My daughter gets a bedtime snack every night. (about 15 carbs and half a string cheese) We dose for it and it is one of her more aggressive I:C ratios. Our nights have been wonky recently too. She was steady for awhile but it must be time to change things up again. No patterns to go by though. I'm using temp basals. There have been a couple nights when we skipped the snack and things were actually smoother, but she's hungry before bed so we're keeping it for now. Hope you figure things out!

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Nope. Many years ago we switched to having late dinners because the schedule worked out better. Getting IOB over before we go to bed makes it easier for us, and the later dinner keeps everyone from being hungry before bed. We just make the after school snack larger so the kids aren't too hungry before dinner.

7. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! LauraC, this is the core of our problem, also -- we don't have solid patterns to address with changes to the pump settings. Over about the past 3 weeks, some nights she's low-ish all night, other nights she starts the night with a huge spike and later trails off low, and then (rarely) she's pitch perfect all night, so it makes it hard to address those frequent early a.m. lows with corrections and basal adjustments. Maybe temp basals for a while till we figure this out!

8. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Sounds like we're in the same boat. We had clinic today and the doc also agreed that there isn't a pattern to go by. I'm gonna keep using the temps for now. By the time we figure it out, things will change again....it's the name of the game. :)

9. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter only gets a bedtime snack if she is hungry and asks for it. We bolus for every carb consumed (except for lows, of course).

Don't even get me started on wonky overnight highs; my daughter is pubertizing for dear life, and her BGs reflect this! :(

10. andiej

andiej Approved members

We do. Despite pumping we keep to the 2 hour rule around eating as we find this give us the best control during the day. He's turned pretty skinny over the last few months so i think he needs the calories plus he enjoys his bedtime snack so i'm not going to stop it.....that said the first part of the night is the most unpredictable part of the day for us....i like him to be between 6 & 7 at the 11/midnight test ....though more often than not he's either 4.1 or 10.1...never seems to be a happy medium even with the same snack. I think life would be easier without the snack though to be honest, get rid of the IOB as early in the night as possible.

11. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Yes she always gets a bedtime snack which is corrected for, the amount depends on how active she has been during the day.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

13. Ali

Ali Approved members

14. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

No, unless he is hungry or we are having a late evening treat or he has a low or something like that. So, yes. Sometimes we do, but usually not for bg reasons. Unless he is low, which sometimes turns into a snack that requires partial covering.

Snacks have never been "required" at any certain time of day. But then, he eats all the time, so it's a moot point. And he isn't 5.

I wonder if a bedtime snack would affect 4:00 numbers? Isn't that too far past? It seems it would have more effect on 12:00-2:00 numbers.

Hope it helps.