- advertisement -

For people that put CGM's on rear - where is pump site?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Just curious - we use my four year old's rear pretty exclusively for sites. He is very lean.

If you put the CGM on the rear - where is the pump site? His little rear is too small for all these sites at once.

We only experienced with the stomach once - but he complained a lot about that. I thought about legs but worried that his pants would catch it when going to the restroom.

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

We use the back of the arms for pump site. We don't use the belly either because he doesn't have that much meat. The Cgm gets switched back and forth from cheek to cheek :)

3. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Funny how kids are so different! My 5 year old LOVES belly sites (I mean...if one were to "love" infusion sites, that is) and we occasionally use his arm and rear. When we have Dexcom on, we use his arm.

4. kallygirl

kallygirl Approved members

We also do butt and back of arm. You would think we suggested cutting off an arm simply mentioning tummy sites! It is a no go right now.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Bum for the CGM, and for the pump:

- other cheek (his first choice)
    - back of arm (hates it and it falls out faster than any other site, but, man, his numbers are good!)
    - leg (the Tegaderm pulls, though, which he does not like--and it is a bit more likely to get pulled out)

Ultimately, even though we use Sure-Ts and he is a skinny 3 year old, the sites themselves don't seem to hurt no matter where we put them. I would love to try the tummy, but I still can't get my head around using the steel set on his skinny little front.

I confess that while we are away from home visiting family over the holidays, I am using the same side of his bum for two site changes in a row. I keep them far away from each other, and I'm monitoring for problems. When we get back home, though, it will be arms and legs again.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    As an adult the two sites are hard. I agree for small kids really hard. Try backs of arms. Also try using Cgms sites every other month or every three months. Try and think in terms of years...remember your child will have to do this for their life.... So think of long term ways of dealing with stuff and press your Doc on thinking in terms of 80 years of use of stuff. Ali

7. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

We do bottom for sensors and tummy for sites.